The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Trunk won't open... need help please!

16K views 48 replies 28 participants last post by  Catsailr27 
#1 · (Edited)
Trunk won't open... SEE BELOW FOR FIX

Help! I can't open my trunk. The key turns but it won't unlatch. I carefully pried up the clam and looked inside... there's nothing jammed that I could see. I even pulled on the glowing escape handle with a coat hanger (and pulled it off!). My wallet and the soft top are both stuck inside. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
No joy. Tried jiggling and everything. If I lift up on the key while turning, the cylinder spins. I suspect that the latch mechanism or link rod is fubarred. Guess I'll be making a trip to my dealer tomorrow if the weather is clear (soft top is in the trunk). Car is only 4 weeks old; what a bummer!

#4 ·
That does suck.. you already tried everything I could think of -- including the escape handle.

It does sound like your lock is hosed -- it should never spin freely.

Depending on how dextrous you feel, you could try reaching in with a long-handled tool and pushing the trunk latch/clasp to the side -- the same force the lid applies when you close it and the catch slips over the 'bolt' to lock shut. It should release the same way. I don't know how accessible it is.

I'm curious to see how your dealer approaches this.

#5 ·
I just went out and looked mine over. The only hope I can see is if you still have the little metal piece on the end of the emergency release cable. Possibly you could get something else in there and catch the end of the cable to release the catch. Not sure how the handle came off and maybe the end piece is already gone. Can't tell how much pressure you have to overcome to open the lid once it is closed. Thought about prying up lid and checking it out, but luckily came to my senses in time. Sorry tho. Good luck with whatever you get done. Regards, Bob.

#6 ·
Fixed it!

I got it open and fixed the lock late last night. :nanner2:

It case it ever happens to someone else, here's how I opened the trunk.

Deleted by Randy. Sorry, if anyone needs to know how to do this, pm me or a mod. I may be over reacting, but I want to be careful about telling the world instructions on breaking in. Thanks for understanding.

Next step was to repair the lock. It's fastened to the lid with 4 locknuts and the plastic cover is held in place with 4 plastic screws/anchors. The lock barrel had come apart (I think as a result of me pulling too hard on the emergency release handle earlier in the day) and little pieces went flying. I know better, and should have put a catch pan under my work; ended up having to retrieve two pieces from on top of the underbody sheet metal.

The lock barrel is attached to the latch mechanism by a short link rod (held in place by a cheap plastic clip). The shift rod had separated from the clip and that's why my latch wouldn't open. The latch mechanism is stamped with a Ford logo; little wonder that was the piece that failed! Obviously, no matter how hard I turned the key or pulled on the emergency release handle, there was no way for the latch to be actuated. Thus, pulling really hard on the release only caused a retaining clip to let loose, and this led to my lock cylinder spinning freely.

Somehow, I found all the parts (some of the springs and keyed parts inside the lock cylinder had gone flying), and put it back together. The retaining clip still works so I suspect it was never fully seated at the time of assembly. Just to be sure though, I used a drop of hot glue to hold in place. The plastic retaining clip that holds the lock barrel to the actuator and emergency release was a little scruffed but seems to be holding up OK, but I will probably ask for a repacement at my next service.

The engine cover vent is still stuck in place using the original adhesive tape, but will lift off easily enough in case this ever recurs.

Thanks to everone who offerred help.

#42 ·
Fixed it!

I got it open and fixed the lock late last night. :nanner2:

It case it ever happens to someone else, here's how I opened the trunk.

Deleted by Randy. Sorry, if anyone needs to know how to do this, pm me or a mod. I may be over reacting, but I want to be careful about telling the world instructions on breaking in. Thanks for understanding.

Next step was to repair the lock. It's fastened to the lid with 4 locknuts and the plastic cover is held in place with 4 plastic screws/anchors. The lock barrel had come apart (I think as a result of me pulling too hard on the emergency release handle earlier in the day) and little pieces went flying. I know better, and should have put a catch pan under my work; ended up having to retrieve two pieces from on top of the underbody sheet metal.

The lock barrel is attached to the latch mechanism by a short link rod (held in place by a cheap plastic clip). The shift rod had separated from the clip and that's why my latch wouldn't open. The latch mechanism is stamped with a Ford logo; little wonder that was the piece that failed! Obviously, no matter how hard I turned the key or pulled on the emergency release handle, there was no way for the latch to be actuated. Thus, pulling really hard on the release only caused a retaining clip to let loose, and this led to my lock cylinder spinning freely.

Somehow, I found all the parts (some of the springs and keyed parts inside the lock cylinder had gone flying), and put it back together. The retaining clip still works so I suspect it was never fully seated at the time of assembly. Just to be sure though, I used a drop of hot glue to hold in place. The plastic retaining clip that holds the lock barrel to the actuator and emergency release was a little scruffed but seems to be holding up OK, but I will probably ask for a repacement at my next service.

The engine cover vent is still stuck in place using the original adhesive tape, but will lift off easily enough in case this ever recurs.

Thanks to everone who offerred help.
Can't open the trunk of my 2005 Elise. Had it since new. Recently installed the Trunk lid strut from GRP, but I don't think related. It wasn't locking, so I bent the part that catches the lock slightly. Locked, opened, locked. Went for a ride - now won't unlock. I tried pushing down while turning the key, no help :(. Above says to pm Randy or a moderator, but I don't know how. Tears......

#7 ·
Re: Deleted by Randy. Sorry, if anyone needs to know how to do this, pm me or a mod. I may be over reacting, but I want to be careful about telling the world instructions on breaking in. Thanks for understanding.

We all appreciate the work that you and the moderators put into this forum and I truly understand your concern. :)
But to be honest, if you aren't worried about damaging the car, there's a whole lot easier ways to force your way into the trunk (or you could search this forum for SPATULA). Just food for thought.

Cheers.

#8 ·
Someone more interested in the contents of my trunk than its pristine condition will likely just.... lift hard.

The thought of some slim-jim carrying street thug reading EliseTalk and drawing himself trunk lock diagrams.. there's humor in that.

At some point you have to trust your fellow man. :nanner: Okay, trust the alarm sensor then.

#9 ·
Bump from the dead, I'm having this exact issue. Picked up my 2007 Elise yesterday, my trunk lock worked once, second time I tried it made a noise and now the key rotates left or right with no resistance. The spatula trick isn't working, as suggested above by Bob. If anyone can PM me what it is Bob did to resolve his issue I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Paul

#11 ·
Just saw this thread. My trunk lid lock is also stuck. In my case, the key won't turn to the right. This car is new to me (a 2006) and I was checking out the emergency release in the and thats when the problem occured. Can I get the deleated message ?
thanks

#15 ·
I have the same problem - on my first day too! bummer

Could I get the deleted message too. I too tried to apply pressure, jiggle, lock unlock door locks, play with arming disarming alarm, til I finally lifted the back end of cover used hanger to pull with no luck, then stuck my hand inside and ... pulled off (broke) emergency glow in the dark release.

I just bought the car and I already broke something! Not a good start eh!

Peter K

#18 ·
Help! I can't open my trunk. The key turns but it won't unlatch. I carefully pried up the clam and looked inside... there's nothing jammed that I could see. I even pulled on the glowing escape handle with a coat hanger (and pulled it off!). My wallet and the soft top are both stuck inside. Any suggestions?
and you'd be wrong. i appreciate your smart ass reply though

#20 ·
Really wasn't intending to be a smart-ass....just that the solutions I knew involved getting to the pull handle without damaging the vehicle.....once the handle is removed, like Michael, I do not know a solution. Sorry.

#21 ·
sorry, thanks for trying. just a bit frustrated that someone was in the exact same scenario as we are and posted a solution and now we can't get it. we called the local dealer and got back "just break it". guess we'll figure something out. thanks tracy and michael.

#34 ·
Push down on lid while turning the key.

Does it feel like lock is broken?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.