Trunk won't open... need help please! - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacyTracy View Post
Really wasn't intending to be a smart-ass....just that the solutions I knew involved getting to the pull handle without damaging the vehicle.....once the handle is removed, like Michael, I do not know a solution. Sorry.

sorry, thanks for trying. just a bit frustrated that someone was in the exact same scenario as we are and posted a solution and now we can't get it. we called the local dealer and got back "just break it". guess we'll figure something out. thanks tracy and michael.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Moderator Extraordinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperw4 View Post
sorry, thanks for trying. just a bit frustrated that someone was in the exact same scenario as we are and posted a solution and now we can't get it. we called the local dealer and got back "just break it". guess we'll figure something out. thanks tracy and michael.
PMed you. Don't start breaking things yet!
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 04:00 PM

I have the same problem and have been trying to get in now for days. Could someone please share with me th secret to getting into the trunk like bob did. Hint I have already tried pulling the lever...

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 10:09 AM

I have this same issue with my Elise. The key turns about 45 degrees in either direction, but the latch won't disengage. I've tried pulling the handle too with no luck, so I'm assuming the cable is broken/disconnected. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 10:21 AM

Fellow LT'rs, David is legit. He purchased my 2005 Elise a few weeks ago. I never had this problem with the car so can't help him out. Can someone email him the solution? Thanks!
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 12:12 PM

Wish I could offer help, the spatula approach was stressful and didn't work for me. In the end my car was at the dealer for a few hours, fixed under warranty and didn't act up again. Good luck.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 12:31 PM

Any luck yet?
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 07:00 AM

Yes, I did figure out how to get it open. It wasn't quite as easy as I've seen suggested, but not too bad. If anyone else has this issue please PM me and I'll explain how I did it.
philethier likes this.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 08:38 AM

Congratulations. Had me worried.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartim View Post
Yes, I did figure out how to get it open. It wasn't quite as easy as I've seen suggested, but not too bad. If anyone else has this issue please PM me and I'll explain how I did it.
Can't pm you. You don't have enough posts.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White.
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C
http://www.mnautox.com

Last edited by philethier; 09-14-2016 at 05:55 AM.
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philethier View Post
Can't pm you. You don't have enough posts.
Sorry, didn't realize that rule about that. I could also email an explanation if that works for you.
post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartim View Post
Sorry, didn't realize that rule about that. I could also email an explanation if that works for you.
I have it open. Went in through the louver and removed the latch pin. Details later.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White.
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C
http://www.mnautox.com
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 09:43 AM

Could someone please pm me about how to get the boot open on my 2008 Elise SC? The key turns in the look but will not unlock the boot. I tried pulling the emergency pull tab but broke off without any result.
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 07:46 PM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by synulose View Post
Could someone please pm me about how to get the boot open on my 2008 Elise SC? The key turns in the look but will not unlock the boot. I tried pulling the emergency pull tab but broke off without any result.
Push down on lid while turning the key.

Does it feel like lock is broken?

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 03:20 AM

that sounds to me like something is broken. if i recall correctly, the mechanism is something like this: the key stalk is attached to a lever arm at it's base. this lever arm pulls on a cable that actuates the latch release. however, the point where the cable attaches to the latch release consists of a cast metal elbow that acts as a hook to pull the latch. this hook is held in place by a delicate plastic clip. if the plastic hook breaks then the cable will come loose and will not actuate the latch. at that point turning the key or pulling the safety release (which just pulls the keystalk lever from it's other end) will have no effect to release the latch.

in that event, i expect that the way in would be to release the latch mechanism assembly from the engine cover lid. there are four nuts, two in the engine compartment and two in the trunk compartment, that need to be removed in order to do this. I'm not sure how accessible these nuts are without the engine cover lid open, though.. something might have to be broken to get to them.

Last edited by Obeisance; 11-09-2017 at 03:26 AM.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 03:56 PM

My trunk lid is stuck closed also. The key only spins about 1/4 of the way like normal, but the trunk won't unlock even if I put some pressure on it. Can someone share the method of opening the trunk without the key please?
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 06:13 AM

Garage
Mine has this issue since yesterday.... Can someone post the fix or PM me?/??
Thanks in advance!

2006 Graphite Grey Lotus Elise: BOE Fully built Long Rod Race motor with Solid Ferrea rockers, REV400 SC, Custom mounted BOE Front HEX.. Penske SA's , BOE CF Rear clam, Exige front clam + LOTS of other mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in