The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

WHAT IS THE ELISE RED LINE AT?

33K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  waspfarmer 
#1 ·
What is exactly the Elise rev limit, I've heard 8500 RPM, 7800RPM but some times i get the red light indicator at 6000RPM in low gears. Is this a gas saving indicator? some times I step on the car and this light throws me completely off, I'm all confused....Please explain :huh:

#2 · (Edited)
Good question, there's no red line on the tach!

The red light means red line. SHIFT.

Around 8000-8500 rpm max.

Sometimes less when the car is cold, the computer doesn't want you to go quite so fast.

At those times, the rev limiter is keeping an eye on you and keeps you to 6000 rpm.

#5 ·
1. Redline for quick bursts is 8,500 rpms
2. I beleive that if you are at redline for more than 2 sec. it is 8,000 rpms (can someone confirm?)
3. If the car is not warmed up, it will not let you go past 6,000 rpms (keeps you from going into the hi-cam)

Hope this helps.

edit. Damn, apk beat me to it.

#6 ·
:rolleyes:wow....they should put that in the MANUAL !!

#8 ·
actually I think most of that information is in the manual. When I test drove a used elise I hit the limiter at 6,000 and thought the same thing, actually didn't buy the car beacuse I thought the limiter was supposed to be at or around 8,000 and that this car was messed with. Oops, the elise I bought was nicer anyway.

#10 ·
Thanks guys very intuitive. I'll set my Tach to 8000RPM to be safe and make sure the car gets to the right temperature before I launch next time :D

#12 ·
Did any of the 05 cars have a fuel cut off? After letting a buddy drive mine and screaming "Shift! Shift! ShiftDammit!" I've been wondering about a cut off or buzzer.

#13 ·
Yes, the 05 has the same rev limiter characteristics. 6000 cold, 8000 rpms normal, 8500 excursion for 2 seconds before fuel cut-off.

#14 ·
i actually wait till 186 degreees, then another 5 minutes to get the oil hotter before engaging warp drive. And i think when the car is warming up, the oil temp LAGS the water temp, and ideally, you want the oil temp in the 250's. One of my oil coolers was removed from the loop, helping me to raise those too low oil temps.

#16 ·
You are from AK, build a bonfire on your radiator. ;)

#17 ·
Fuel cut off does work, but only after a while. It's not nearly as intrusive as my WRX's.

#22 ·
In my S2, the digital temp indicator appears at 156C. Until 156C, there is no indicator. I have not explored the rev limiter yet, as I have only driven on public roads and I'm a professional driver. I can't afford a speeding ticket. Before the temp indicator comes on, I get a red light at around 5k rpm.

#24 ·
156C?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.