The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

What the Heck! Push in throttle, no response, just idles.

5K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Catsailr27 
#1 ·
Title says it all. Im trying to do a coolant flush and pump coolant through the system. I started the car to do so and wanted to raise the RPM's upward of 2k to get the temps up. I go to push the gas pedal with my hand and nothing, no throttle response whatsoever. What am I missing here?

Also, Peak Global 50/50 is recommended correct (in the gold bottle)?

Also, searched all over this site for a good DIY on coolant flushes. I cant find one that explains things very well and I hear its a real PITA on these cars. Any links youd guys suggest?

#7 ·
you have an older 1.2 EFI as I recall... If it's a X2, it will have "X2" printed in big white lettes on the front of the case.

With the 1.2, the STOCK ECU controls all aspects of the throttle and idle speed. The EFI only controls fuel and spark/cam timing.

If throttle is not working, then you have a wiring issue going... You should be pretty familiar with that problem by now... sorry, couldn't resist:D:D:D

#9 ·
Call up the local auto parts stores to see if they rent the diagnostic code scanners, or find someone in the area that has one. Your check engine light is on because of the exhaust but it may now have other reasons for being on as well. You may also have a wiring problem too, which is going to be loads of fun!

#14 ·
So I took out the plug too the throttle position sensor, noticed a few bent prongs on the inside of the sensor. I straightened them out and pushed the plug back in (I dont get that snap like you normally do with your other plugs).

Anyhow, if I have the TPS plugged in, the car wont start. If I unplug the TPS plug, the car fires right up. Also, the TPS is making a loud, noticeable mechanical hum with the plug plugged in. What the heck!

Any suggestions?

#18 ·
It looks like its the same on 06's. It just has 6 wires instead of 3. Looks like they all go straight to the ecu.

The wires can't be that long...they are right by the ecu. Id just pull the loom and stuff off and inspect them all. Then retape/loom.

#19 ·
Duuuude wtf! Talk about bad luck all day!!!

This is a new one too me. Man your gonna understand this car a lot better after you chase all these issues out.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get it, just be sure to post pics of anything you touched on the car so the smart guys can see what's unplugged or going to the wrong hole!

#23 ·
Might want to start a fresh thread but in any case knowing model and year would help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.