What's the Best Synthetic Oil for Elise? - Page 8 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
View Poll Results: What's the Best Synthetic Oil for Elise?
MOTUL 8100 X-cess 5W-40 21 5.53%
MOTUL 300 V Power 5W-40 23 6.05%
Red Line 'Street' 5W-40 29 7.63%
AMSOIL 'European Car Formula' 5W-40 40 10.53%
Mobil 1 ‘European Car Formula’ 0W-40 71 18.68%
Mobil 1 ‘Turbo Diesel Truck’ 5W-40 49 12.89%
Mobil Delvac 1 ‘Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil’ 5W-40 11 2.89%
Castrol Syntec 5W-40 or 5W-50 54 14.21%
Havoline Synthetic 5W-40 (It's avail. in your area) 32 8.42%
OTHER… 50 13.16%
Voters: 380. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark16q
I just bought a case of this today...it was the only thing I could find out in Agoura/Thousand Oaks. Got it at a Valvoline oil change shop for $5.99 quart and hope it's o.k. They wanted to change the oil for me for $110, but did it myself. New car and want to "get to know" the car

Mark
Just from the standpoint of color, I found that
the Valvoline turns darker than Castrol's at the same
mileage points. Like you, Havoline is 'impossible' to
find so I've been using Castrol's 5W-40 Synthetic for
some time now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgemanron
Just from the standpoint of color, I found that
the Valvoline turns darker than Castrol's at the same
mileage points. Like you, Havoline is 'impossible' to
find so I've been using Castrol's 5W-40 Synthetic for
some time now.
I've always liked the Castrol stuff, and ran it in my motorcycles and other cars. But couldn't find it yesterday and "needed" to get the oil change going before it rained. And it did rain and had the job done before it got wet. I'll be looking for 5/40 now that I've got some time b4 the next change and have it ready in the garage. Nothing worse than being in the mood for a project and you can't find the bits and pieces to do it.

Mar

'95 Miata M Edition. '05 Arctic Silver..Nitrons, Arqray Twin Muffler, SectorIII bar, carbon console and shift knob, Schroth harnesses, GUT spoiler, tie rod reinforcement, and lots more....Sold
post #143 of 176 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 04:58 PM

Hoping my ignorance of oil standards may be illuminated...

Lotus specify 5W-40 API SL/CF, SJ/CF, ACEA A3 oil.

Motul 8100X-Cess Meets the above to the letter...
The presumably higher grade Motul 3000V is however API SG/CD...

Is this a higher standard than the API SL/CF, SJ/CF, ACEA A3 from the 8100X-Cess???

Appreciate any thoughts / insight.

Thank you!

Alan

07 Exige S
Storm Titanium, Track Pack, Touring Pack, TC, LETSLA, RTD Brace, R 888, J. Clayton SS Shift Knob, Sport Inserts, Custom Carbon Wing End Plates.

post #144 of 176 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 06:31 PM

no mention of the ZDDP content in all of the above, (by name), just "the additives"
some of the newer oils have lower content, (for the epa crap).
the 2zz-ge engine has been said to prefer the old spec for this.
i suppose the benefits have to do with the cam/lifter hardware.
motorcycle manufacturers have also chimed in on this where the engine oil is also the gearbox oil. that's why i used the genuine honda oils in my gold wing.
i'm obviously no authority on this, just a concerned consumer trying to preserve the parts at 8,000+ rpm.
i use redline oil at present because it is said to conform to the earlier spec.

by the way, a great thread.

'06 ELISE now with hidden talent and dual cigarette lighter sockets!
post #145 of 176 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7an
The presumably higher grade Motul 3000V is however API SG/CD...

Is this a higher standard than the API SL/CF, SJ/CF, ACEA A3 from the 8100X-Cess???
No. In general, the higher the "letters" the higher, or at least, more recent the standard. In general , SL is higher than SG, which was higher than SF, etc. Same for the "C"s.

However, there is talk that the latest versions are actually limiting certain ingredients that may protect your engine - in the name of emissions. In this case, you may want to not use the most current grade. Or may be you do.

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #146 of 176 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 08:22 AM

Amazon

I found the following at Amazon.com. Any comments?

Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5W40, gallon

Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5W40, gallon by Valvoline
Buy new: $47.39 $31.59
Automotive: See all 3 items
Royal Purple Synthetic Engine Motor Oil 5W40 Multi-Grade 12 Quart Case

Royal Purple Synthetic Engine Motor Oil 5W40 Multi-Grade 12 Quart Case by Royal Purple Synthetic Oil
Buy new: $108.00 $97.20
Royal Purple Synthetic Engine Motor Oil 5W40 Multi-Grade 1 Quart Bottle

Royal Purple Synthetic Engine Motor Oil 5W40 Multi-Grade 1 Quart Bottle by Royal Purple Synthetic Oil
$9.00 Click to see price
post #147 of 176 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 09:29 PM

Since Lotus specs 10W/60 for track use I decided to go with Castrol TWS 10W/60 (standard on the BMW M5) - considered the highest quality synthetic on the market by some. You can buy it online:

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

Sometimes you have to go in circles to move forward.
05 Elise NA
- 2009 Lotus Challenge Series NA Mod champion
- 2010 Lotus Challenge Series Superstock champion
- 2012 Lotus Cup Open Class 2nd Place

post #148 of 176 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious
Best oil FOR WHAT? Longest use/abuse? Price? Power? Reduced wear/friction? For how you use your engine/car? Best matches the clearances, pressure, and temperatures of your engine? This list could go on, and on.

An oil that may be very good for several of the above, may not be best for the others.

Several well known (and well promoted) oils, do not last as long as others - their additive packages break down rather quickly - even though they may show performance gains on a dyno right after an oil change.

As long as there will be oil used for lubricating engines, there will be controversy. Do you own research, talk to racers and engine builders who know the wear in their engines, and make your own choices. There are many very good oils available, just don't fall for marketing hype.

For use in the 2ZZ engine (with the high speed cam riding on a non-rolling rocker arm without pressure lubrication), you might want to check into how well a given oil performs in the Falex pin and V-block tests for ASTM D-3233 - http://www.ice32.com/Falex_Flier.pdf

Oil analysis is another tool that will help you decide if the oil you are currently running is doing its job, and for how long.

I hope this helps.
The pdf file is an excellent explanation of these test procedures. I just find it humorous that the actual product being tested is a Pag46 viscosity refrigeration oil for automotive air conditioning compressors. ICE32 is a trade name for an additive.
post #149 of 176 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 08:53 PM
qball

Royal Purple Launches new 5W40 Oil Specially Formulated for European Cars

Royal Purple has added a new 5W-40 high performance motor oil to their extensive top-of-the line synthetic lubricant line. Royal Purple 5W-40 has all of the performance advantages of other Royal Purple motor oils while meeting API SM and CF warranty requirements as well as European ACEA A2-96 and A3- 02 warranty requirements. 5W- 40 has become an increasing common viscosity specification particularly in European automobiles.

Increase Your Power- Royal Purple motor oil reduces friction and improves combustion efficiency, which translates into more horsepower and torque. Royal Purple has been proven in independent tests to increase horsepower and torque between 3%-5% compared to leading synthetic and conventional oils.

Save Fuel And Money At The Pump- According to independent research done by North Carolina State University, using Royal Purple motor oil instead of other "energy-conserving motor oils" offers fuel economy gains of up to 4.5%. The synthetic fluids' low coefficient of friction means you'll be making fewer stops for gas.

Wipe Out Wear- Royal Purple motor oil is made from a blend of synthetic oils and the company's proprietary, synthetic Synerlec additive technology. Synerlec greatly reduces engine heat and wear. And because it's extremely tenacious, it adheres to engine surfaces after shutdown, which means you get extra engine protection every time you start up.

Extend Your Drain Intervals-Royal Purple's 5W40 lasts longer than other motor oils, so you can safely extend your oil change intervals-up to 12,000 miles or more, as long as you change the filter regularly.

Keep It Cool- Royal Purple's film strength is up to 400% stronger than other leading motor oils, which means the oil reduces both wear and heat to protect the engine, all while keeping friction to a minimum.

About Royal Purple
Royal Purple makes synthetic products for all your automotive needs, including engine oils, transmission fluids, gear oil, coolant additives, fuel system cleaner, power steering fluid, chain lubricant, grease, penetrating lubricant, assembly lube and shop compressor lubricant. For more information on Royal Purple and its products, contact Royal Purple Ltd.

One Royal Purple Lane
Porter, TX 77365
Phone: 281-354-8600
Web: www.royalpurple.com
post #150 of 176 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 09:13 PM
qball

Oh... and you can get 12 quarts for less than $95 including S/H from Summit Racing...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=rpo-rp01540

post #151 of 176 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 03:01 PM

Any definitive answers?
post #152 of 176 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 10:14 AM

I realize this is an old poll, and a definitely "aged" thread - however, just thought that I might add just RECENTLY that elf 5w-40 has been tested and endorsed by VW, Mercedes and several others for use as a high-performance, LOW sludging (was a big problem I hear for VW & Merc) fully synthetic that exceeds ANSI (or is that API?) standards of the recommended Havoline. My Jaguar Mechanic is highly recommending it. Anyone have any insight or experience with elf products, or even this oil in particular?
post #153 of 176 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAMMY1 View Post
no mention of the ZDDP content in all of the above, (by name), just "the additives"
some of the newer oils have lower content, (for the epa crap).
the 2zz-ge engine has been said to prefer the old spec for this.
i suppose the benefits have to do with the cam/lifter hardware.
This is exactly why I use Amsoil - it doesn't techincally meet the latest specifications due to its higher ZDDP content, but is "recommended" for cars specifying the newer oil standards such as API SM/CF.

Their MSDS is vague on the amount of zinc by weight, but does state:
CERCLA 40 CFR 302.4..........Zinc Compounds @1.62-2.5%

John
post #154 of 176 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 07:49 AM

How about Lotos Oil?

Why, Lotos Syntetic 5W40, of course!

http://www.lotos.pl/ru/produkty_oleje_rodzina_2.html

Not endorsing this oil, never used it. Just stumbled across it today while looking for a good oil, and like the name.

2005 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise (going)
2004 Charcoal Honda Accord EX-V6 (going)
2005 Klavierlack Black VW Phaeton V8 (gone)
post #155 of 176 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30mpg View Post
Why, Lotos Syntetic 5W40, of course!

http://www.lotos.pl/ru/produkty_oleje_rodzina_2.html

Not endorsing this oil, never used it. Just stumbled across it today while looking for a good oil, and like the name.
Great find! Here's a pic of the bottle of synthetic.

2006 Elise, Ardent Red, Black Pack, LSS wheels, shocks and springs.
post #156 of 176 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 09:14 AM

So, I've been looking at oils for the past few days. I'm not an expert, not by a longshot. But here's what I think I've learned:

The earlier the spec (i.e. SG) the better the lubrication, but perhaps at the cost of the catalytic converter. The later the spec (SM seems to be the current), the better off for the cat, but at the cost of lubrication, especially given the design of our second cam.

So with that, is the middle ground the best place to be? Motul 8100 Xcess seems to be SL, which is before M, but still several revs after G. If the Lotus spec is in fact SL, SJ (thx a7an), does that mean we should aim between the two?

I understand that Zinc and/or ZDDP quantities were reduced in the later specs, is that M only, or L also? If it was reduced in M only, then Motul 8100 Xcess should be the perfect oil for us?

Thoughts? C'mon all you engineers out there!

Edit: One thing I think we can conclude is that we should avoid the SM spec...anyone disagree?

2005 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise (going)
2004 Charcoal Honda Accord EX-V6 (going)
2005 Klavierlack Black VW Phaeton V8 (gone)
post #157 of 176 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R'elise Me View Post
Since Lotus specs 10W/60 for track use I......
Where did you hear this? I was told specifically that you want to use 5w40 by my dealer(mechanic) for everything to work right(the cam changeover specifically) but I have little faith in what they have to say.

rightseatdriver.
post #158 of 176 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJChaser View Post
Where did you hear this? I was told specifically that you want to use 5w40 by my dealer(mechanic) for everything to work right(the cam changeover specifically) but I have little faith in what they have to say.
There is a service bulletin out about it, but basically it says that 10W60 is appropriate for racing condition - note however, that they are talking about actual extended racing/competition usage, not just track days.

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #159 of 176 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 09:57 AM

Maybe I should have posted in this thread. Here's a link to my post about what I found when trying to determine the best oil. The bottom line is I decided to go with the Havoline Synthetic 5W-40.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/show...6&postcount=60

Racing Green, Sports, Touring, Hardtop, and Starshield.
post #160 of 176 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJChaser View Post
AJ, click the link on post 18

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/show...ighlight=10w60

BMW dealers seem to be the only ones who carry 10w60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in