The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

What's the Best Synthetic Oil for Elise?

What's the Best Synthetic Oil for Elise?

96K views 201 replies 84 participants last post by  Fat Pelican 
#1 · (Edited)
<< POLL >> What's the Best Synthetic Oil for Elise? (for Street Use)

Since I found it to be IMPOSSIBLE to find the recommended Havoline Synthetic 5W40 motor oil, I've spent the rest of the day researching alternatives.

I tried to list all the options that have been mentioned on this forum. If you choose '"Other", list it below.

Here are the cheapest places I found for these-
Red Line 'Street' 5W-40
http://www.soloperformance.com/Defau...&productID=126

AMSOIL 'European Car Formula' 5W-40
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/Sea...x?CategoryID=8

Mobil 1 ‘European Car Formula’ 0W-40
http://www.store.yahoo.com/parkplace...1trismoto.html

#2 ·
What's the real question?
What's the best oil for a street only Elise or what's the best oil for an Elise that see's a lot of track time? The answer to those two questions may vary based on trade-offs between cost of oil and performance.

#4 · (Edited)
I'll probably always use Amsoil in the Lotus because I plan to keep it for a long time and like their published four-ball wear test results, but like that Mobil 1 has an 0W-40 that's likely to be commonly available. Note Amsoil has more ZDDP than current oil standards allow, providing better wear protection for things like cams at the possible expense of lessening the effectiveness of your catalytic converter over time - this is why I buy it.

It's great to have Motul, Redline, Royal Purple's 10W-40, and other quality oils to choose from, though.

John

#5 ·
motul 300v is the best quality, but at the price is it really the best value? mine is a track toy only, and i change the oil after every 2 track days.(~200 miles). I am leaning towards mobile 1 and more frequent oil changes.

#6 ·
I just did an oil change and used Valvoline 5w-40 full synthetic.
(This isn't listed in the poll!)

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=19
Couldn't get the Havoline....the Mobil 1 was there but bought this instead.

Bad choice?

It would be great to hear some explanations why people use what they use!
In the interest of education actually.

All street driving for me to this point....hoping to get in my 1st track day soon!

#7 ·
EliseCat said:
I just did an oil change and used Valvoline 5w-40 full synthetic.
(This isn't listed in the poll!)

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=19
Couldn't get the Havoline....the Mobil 1 was there but bought this instead.

Bad choice?

It would be great to hear some explanations why people use what they use!
In the interest of education actually.

All street driving for me to this point....hoping to get in my 1st track day soon!
Most likely all the oils listed are fine for our cars. After all, Toyota specified 5W30, and I don't see Celicas flying apart everyday. Any oil problems Celicas have had seem to be related to the lack of pan baffling, not oil quality. I chose Mobil 1 0W40 because it satisfies the warranty requirement being a 40 weight at high temps, but will flow somewhat better at low temperatures because of the 0 weight. This is important at start up, since a lot of engine wear occurs at start up before the pressure builds. The Mobil 1 0W40 also is approved by a bunch of manufacturers who build high performance engines, which is reassuring.

#8 ·
fpitas said:
I chose Mobil 1 0W40 because it satisfies the warranty requirement being a 40 weight at high temps, but will flow somewhat better at low temperatures because of the 0 weight.
Keep in mind, that it also acts "thinner" at low temperatures. There might be a reason that Lotus specified 5W40 in stead of 0W40 oil. Also the wider the spread in viscosities, the greater the tendency for the oil to degrade over time/miles.

Also keep in mind that what Toyota specifies may be different than what Lotus specifies because the engine is used differently. There is less engine compartment air flow, the (very) remote oil cooler(s), etc.

Does it matter? :shrug:

#9 · (Edited)
TimMullen said:
Keep in mind, that it also acts "thinner" at low temperatures. There might be a reason that Lotus specified 5W40 in stead of 0W40 oil. Also the wider the spread in viscosities, the greater the tendency for the oil to degrade over time/miles.

Also keep in mind that what Toyota specifies may be different than what Lotus specifies because the engine is used differently. There is less engine compartment air flow, the (very) remote oil cooler(s), etc.

Does it matter? :shrug:
The Mobil 1 0W40 grade may not have been in existence when the Elise oil spec was being created. The wider viscosity spread may degrade more over time, but I think if it wasn't under reasonable control Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, etc. would not have approved it.

It's true the typical Elise driver uses the engine harder than the typical Celica driver, but I don't think the Celica has any oil cooler at all. The underhood temperatures on front wheel drive cars can get pretty high too if my Integra is at all typical.

#10 ·
fpitas said:
The Mobil 1 0W40 grade may not have been in existence when the Elise oil spec was being created.
That may be, but it exists now, and I haven't heard that the '06 Elises/Exiges have any different spec for the oil. For that matter, does Toyota spec any oil that starts with the 0Wx for the Celica? That fact that other manufacturers spec a 0 weight oil doesn't really apply to the Elise, since they are different manufacturers and engines.

This is not to say that you are wrong. I don't know what is the proper thing to use. I use the proper grade of Mobil 1 in my other cars, but they don't make the proper one for the Elise (which I find curious, since there are apparently lots of European cars that require 5W40). I simply go with the Havoline, but I haven't been able to find a source for it (other than seeing if the dealer will sell it to me - but that's too far to travel to pick up some oil).

I wish that LCU would actually step up and provide a list of acceptable oil brands and viscosities for use in the US (since Havoline is hard to come by).

:shrug:

#11 ·
#12 ·
I don't track my car, but I swear by Royal Purple, which Pep Boys carries (on west coast, at least). It is less than a buck per qt more that Mobil 1, and the engine runs noticeably smoother with it. :bow:

#14 ·
My dealer (FVMC) used Castrol at my last oil change, but I have no idea what is best....and so therefor, did not vote.

#16 · (Edited)
I've run Royal Purple exclusively in all of my cars for the past 4yrs. I also run k&n gold oil filters. Royal Purple has been shown to actually increase hp and my cars run smooth as hell with it. I've heard a lot of good reviews on Mobil and Redline too.

3 Turbocharged 4's run very hard.
2 n/a v6's run daily in nasty Chicago traffic.

I change my oil approx. every 6k miles.......yes, 6k miles. 20/20 did a show a few years back with NY city taxi cabs and found that the oil could be changed every 7k miles with no detrimental effects to the engine. I mean, I drive hard, but not that hard! lol

I'd change it sooner if you do a lot of track days. Just use any of the high quality synth oils and you'll be fine. Want to start an argument? Ask about air filters! ;)

#19 ·
I wouldn't say it's the best, but I just bought some Castrol Synthec for my next oil change. It's the proper viscosity, and it's available. If they still made the non-"turbo diesel" Mobil 1 5W40 I'd use that...

#20 ·
Tim makes a good point

The extra lines and remote cooler will cause a pressure drop. This may be why Lotus recommends the 5W40 over the 0W40.

Another brand to consider is Lubrication Engineers (although it is $8/qt). Not a synthetic, but an excellent lubricant. Use it in my race cars.

The main advantage of a synthetic is its high resistance to heat. If your oil temp is staying in the 240 range, then not a whole lot of benefit in using a synthetic.

#21 ·
JeffYoung said:
The extra lines and remote cooler will cause a pressure drop. This may be why Lotus recommends the 5W40 over the 0W40.
You'll have to explain your reasoning there. At low temps the 0W40, being lower viscosity, will experience less pressure drop. Since the oil thermostat only opens when the oil is hot, both oils will be about 40W and experience about the same pressure drop. Sounds like a wash.

#23 ·
raggedy1 said:
I'm sure most voted for whatever they have in their car.
Possibly, but I voted Mobil 1 because of its availability and price. It's a great oil, especially for street use. I'd never use it on a car that sees track time as long as I could get Redline or Motul, but for an everyday driver, sure.

#24 ·
raggedy1 said:
no surprise that Mobil 1 tops this list; it's the most readily available and best marketed synthetic.

I voted Amsoil since that's what I'm putting into my Elise. I'm sure most voted for whatever they have in their car.
It only makes sense we would vote for what's in our cars. I chose Mobil 1 because of: availability, I like the 0W40 vs. 5W40, and it has approvals from several major manufacturers for use in their high-performance engines. Those manufacturers have guys who are paid to study oils for use in long term warranty situations, I doubt they give the approval lightly. Having said that, of course there are plenty of other oils that will work fine.

#26 ·
bluejae said:
my 1000 mile service paper says 6 Quarts of Texaco 5w40 synt... at $8.45 a quart

is there anything wrong here?
Maybe they spilled a couple quarts? Unless you have the Moroso pan...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.