The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Window Rattle Fixed

58K views 61 replies 43 participants last post by  brokensword 
#1 · (Edited)
Read the warning posted later in this thread from TheViper before adjusting these screws: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/window-rattle-fixed-12269/#post1263292

My passenger window rattled when it was all the way down. Before the adjustment I could easily hear the rattle noise when closing the door or wiggling the glass. I had tried tightening the screws at the top of the rails as has been suggested, but they were already tight. (BTW, that's a very easy check and you should start there.)

Read the warning posted later in this thread from TheViper before adjusting these screws: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/window-rattle-fixed-12269/#post1263292

It sounded like the rattle was coming from the glass hitting the aft rail. Assuming clockwise turns of the window angle screw at the bottom of the door would only press the window tighter against the seal when up, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it.

I turned the screw a half turn clockwise and the rattle diminished. I turned it another half turn and the rattle was essentially gone. I turned another half turn for good measure and called it good.

I may have been a little lucky, but I bet some independent adjustment of the window angle screws will fix this rattle for most people.

-Shawn

See less See more
#4 ·
i have this exact same problem. i'll definitely have to try this fix when i get home tonight.

#5 ·
Keeper said:
I turned the screw a half turn clockwise and the rattle diminished. I turned it another half turn and the rattle was essentially gone. I turned another half turn for good measure and called it good.
Shawn, Thanks for your post. I too have the same problem with the passenger window. Which of the two screws did you adjust?

#7 ·
Gridlock said:
Man, I positively live this forum!! I have had this rattling window problem since I bought the car over a year ago... I sort of tuned it out, but it was always annoying. A couple of turns of both screws, and WELLA, rattling gone!
have you noticed whether it messes w/ the window position when it is all the way up? both my windows line up perfectly with both tops in their current position and i'd hate to screw that up to fix a little rattle...

#8 · (Edited)
glitch said:
have you noticed whether it messes w/ the window position when it is all the way up? both my windows line up perfectly with both tops in their current position and i'd hate to screw that up to fix a little rattle...
I haven't checked that yet. I checked that the window goes up and down without binding, but have not checked the way it lines up at the top. My impression is that it doesn't effect the position, but I could be wrong. The screws that I tightened a bit certainly seem quite loose to me.

#9 ·
edaddy said:
Shawn, Thanks for your post. I too have the same problem with the passenger window. Which of the two screws did you adjust?
Somehow I missed your post.

I adjusted the window so that it made good contact with the weatherstrip then I tweak each one until the rattle was gone. I tried to favor tightening vs. loosening to prevent leaks.

#11 ·
whew.....

Hey Clay... Glad you're enjoying your car! :up:

This kinda thread is what its all about! I just stumbled on the thread last night, went to the garage this morning, tightened the screws and the door doesn't rattle anymore... after only 10,000 miles....

...hmmmm... :confused: what else can I find around here? Let's see, my trans buzzes at stable rpms... no wait that is in a thread already... no, 2 threads, 3..... :huh: :) :tadts:

...I need 048s... :shift:

...rear suspension brace anyone? -poke-

...what's an ECU dump smell like?.... rotfl

...how much does the dash sharp edge fix weigh?? :confused:

I Love EliseTalk!

#16 ·
TheSaint said:
my window sounds like its about to crack when it gets half way down....it gets right..then "pops" past the half way point as it goes all the way down...does the same when closing it. Any thoughts?
Check that your power window cable harness is not obstructing the window's travel. My PAX window had the same problem and by re-dressing this power feed harness it's as smooth as silk now :coolnana:

#17 ·
Help!

I did what everyone suggested. I turned the screw clockwise one turn, and tried closing the door to see if the rattle diminished. It went 'clunk', and the screw fell out onto the floor! The window still seems to be working, but whenever I lower the window, the screaching sound (like the window about to crack) is still there.

Can anyone help?

#22 ·
I tried this, and all it managed to do was move my window further away from the car when fully raised.

So I readjusted while window was up and all is well now

Reactions: Chicagomax
#23 ·
I wanted to warn anyone who does this adjustment that it can lead to problems. I recently adjusted the passenger window using the front screw and it fell out into the door cavity. I now had to remove the door panel and use a magnetic pick up to retrieve the screw which was easy. The hard part was getting double ended screw back in location. The screw is located between the access hole and the base of the window frame, this location is almost unaccessible, both physically and visually. I had to remove the inside door lock release which gives a small hole to get your hand through and try to install the screw by feel alone. This was a painful experience because while pushing the window frame, which hurts your fingers, out to give space, your wrist is being cut into by the hole edges. I can't explain how frustrating this was, not really knowing what I was doing, being blind and additionally, anyone with large hands would probably find this procedure impossible. Eventually, I got the screw in a position that may not be perfect but everything works OK.
Michael

#24 ·
In many cases, the rail's top screw is loose. To reach it, just take a philips screw driver with the window down, and tight the screw. Hard to see that's screw, but you can reach it by the window slot.When

#32 ·
I played with the adjusters to no avail. After some rooting around I found the rail screws (somehow I missed this post..) The rail screw at the back of the door was all the way out. I sqeezed the screwdriver through the window slot and tightened it. The rattle's gone:coolnana:

#26 ·
Got the door panel off and some of the screws and 10mm bolts where loose. When the window is right to the top it rattles like hell, take it down 1/2 inch and no problem. I don't think this is an adjustment issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.