The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Window Rattle Fixed

58K views 61 replies 43 participants last post by  brokensword 
#1 · (Edited)
Read the warning posted later in this thread from TheViper before adjusting these screws: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/window-rattle-fixed-12269/#post1263292

My passenger window rattled when it was all the way down. Before the adjustment I could easily hear the rattle noise when closing the door or wiggling the glass. I had tried tightening the screws at the top of the rails as has been suggested, but they were already tight. (BTW, that's a very easy check and you should start there.)

Read the warning posted later in this thread from TheViper before adjusting these screws: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/window-rattle-fixed-12269/#post1263292

It sounded like the rattle was coming from the glass hitting the aft rail. Assuming clockwise turns of the window angle screw at the bottom of the door would only press the window tighter against the seal when up, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it.

I turned the screw a half turn clockwise and the rattle diminished. I turned it another half turn and the rattle was essentially gone. I turned another half turn for good measure and called it good.

I may have been a little lucky, but I bet some independent adjustment of the window angle screws will fix this rattle for most people.

-Shawn

See less See more
#28 ·
I've got this problem too, I tried the screw adjustment, but to no avail. Time for the next step.

#33 ·
developed this rattle this weekend, the whole window was tilting back and forth as I put it up / down and would sometimes get stuck. I'll try this, it looks promising.

#34 ·
OK not thread jacking but just hushing the search police and maybe helping future people looking into this issue

I found these two screws in the bottom of my door and I do not know where they came from, does anyone know where they might go? I can grab the top corner of my window and tilt it back and forth...

^yeah I know nice background right?

#36 ·
that might have something to do with the whole window tilting then eh? I'll have to feel around better in there. I'm sure its going to be a lot of fun tightening these back down.

#37 ·
The one on the right holds the front or back guide rail at the top to the door and the other could go a number of places in all the doors hardware.

#38 ·
Ok like stated, the one on the right was to the front rail at the top (the one notorious from coming loose and preventing your window from going all the way up.)

However I'm still trying to figure out the one on the left. I think it might be #28 by lotusgarage's description:

However I think there is something that needs to be adjusted because I can still grab my window and lift it up and down! Maybe the "adjuster blocks?" (#22)

#39 ·
so... I put that top screw back in, apparently the hex head screw pictured above goes to the mirror possibly.

Here is what my window is doing even with that top screw in. It makes an annoying rattle at various RPMs too.

anyone? :shrug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC5_jwLmBW0

#40 ·
Roll your window all the way down and look at the top of the back rail. It is bolted to a bracket that is fixed to the fiberglass door via epoxy. Mine broke free when enough people closed the door too hard. I had to take the top window gasket off in order to get in there and rough up the area, then re-epoxy the bracket to the door. Sounds like that maybe your issue. My window no longer rattles since the fix, though the glass slides forward and back whenever its rolled down, then wont roll up properly when the door is closed. I believe its the three problematic bolts listed in this thread, but I can't seem to tighten them or loosen them for that matter because I believe they are stripped. I'm not the first owner, but I'll get around to fixing that issue as well one of these days. Good luck, :tadts:

#44 ·
So, yea. My hand is really sore now. It appears that in Keeper's pics, the window adjustment screws cannot fall in in his model year. On my 05, they can, without any warning, and like people said, can only be put back in from the inside of the door. Great.

To echo what Viper said, here are the directions I followed. With the window up:

1) Remove lining panel (4 top hex screws, 1 front plastic Philips screw under the sill of the front of the lining, slide panel towards rear of car)
2) Remove 3 screws (2 big, 1 small) from door handle plastic silver-ish lining
3) Remove 2 screws (2 big, same size as above) from door handle
4) Push door handle up towards roof with non-dominant hand
5) Reach into door and feel where the hole is. Stick a screwdriver through the hole from the outside so you can find it better. You will feel the panel/rail that the screw pushes against, so you will have to move it towards the outside of the car a bit to get the adjustment screw in.
6)Hold screw carefully between forefinger and middle finger with the head with the adjustment slot towards the inside of the car.
7) Reach into door, loop thumb around panel the screw pushes against, and push to outside of car
8) Using deft dexterity, wiggle the screw into the hole you found earlier
9) Let go of door handle, bracing for pain. Use screwdriver to turn screw counter clockwise back into hole. The angle is tricky, and you will need to push in from the inside of the door
10) Swear, drop the screw a few times, repeat, and you will get it. Once I got the procedure down, it only took like 5 minutes, 2 curses, and, oddly enough, no blood.

The best part is, once you get it back in, you will know it is near its maximum deflection, so you shouldn't have to screw it back in any more :)

The back screw is real easy to reach, although that one doesn't seem to fall out. B*stard. Some days, I think my Elise just wants to mess with me...

J

#47 · (Edited)
Finally fixed my door rattle:D

Well, to start off, if forgot to start with reading this thread, so I lost the famous front screw in the door:huh: When I finally got to open the door the screw had fallen out of a hole in the bottom of the door:mad:

Anyways, now that the door was open I was able to find my rattle. The rattle came from the rod for the interior release mechanism vibrating against the rail it sits in. I think the entire rail is there to avoid the rod vibrating and creating noise by hitting other things. However, the foam layer at the end of the rail to ensure the rod wouldn't vibrate wasn't working sufficiently. I fixed this at least temporarily by adding some more self-adhesive foam.

I'll post a pic since I can't find the parts in the exploded pictures.

If you wonder if you're having the same rattle it's easy to test. Once you close the door there should be a metallic rattle afterwards. Open the door and hit it gently several times, if the rattle is there but disappears / changes by pulling the hand lever from inside of the door, then you know you have a reason to pop the door and fix it.

I also found a small vibrating noise coming from the button to the electric window. By applying a small amount of silicone spray on the button, the noise dissapeared.

Closing the door now sounds a lot better than before:D
Hope this helps for some of you guys!

Attachments

#48 ·
Finally fixed my drivers side door rattle too! The top screw on the leading rail had backed itself out and was allowing enough play for the rail to rattle when the window was down. It would also rattle over every single little bump during driving, very annoying.

The screw im talking about is #19 in the diagram above.

#49 ·
OK, this is a new '06 to me (just got it after my '05 was totaled) and not only do i have significant rattle, I also have both windows not going up all the way correctly. The drivers side needs a little help to go up all the way, but the passenger simply will not do so, the rear keeps going but the fronts sems to get stuck. Am I alone with this issue? The door panel comes off this weekend and I hope to get a good look and fix this along with the rattles!

#51 ·
Ouch.....my aching hand!!!

Well, I wished I had found this thread before I started turning the lower frontward adjustment screw clockwise in order to fix a driver's side window rattle. As you can guess, the damn thing fell right into the door.

I found the thread when I came looking for a way to fix my mess. As previously described, I took the door panel off and detached inner door handle from door in order to get my big hand into the door cavity. Needless to say that this is extremely painful; therefore, concentration on the task is required in order to block the pain. I actually blasted some TOOL on the stereo system to psych me up while I was at it.

After several minutes of frigging with the adjustment screw, I was able to thread it into the door hole while turning counter clockwise with the screw driver. This part was done with the window up.

My biggest challenge was getting the other end of the adjustment screw into the rail hole. In my case, the rail had completely fallen into the door cavity and I had to work it into the proper location near the upper window door slot, then line up the hole with the adjustment screw. I achieved this with the window halfway down. This was also the most painful part as the sharp steel edges of the inner door handle kept biting into my wrist.

All in all, it took me a little over an hour to get this done. I tested the window repeatedly and all seems to work and looks solid. The ultimate test as to whether I succeeded will be when I drive down our city's bumpy streets. This will need to wait until tomorrow as it's pissing rain today.

I've inserted a few pics that I took of the assembly. I appreciate all of the posts on LT as I'm learning quite a bit about my 2006 Elise; which, I've only owned for a couple of months.

Mike

Attachments

#53 ·
ahhh... but this winter season...we fix many things...haha. This is one of them for me. Still have until November 30th on the Elise hibernation/restoration countdown. Praying for a late winter.

#57 ·
Yes, I need one please.
Mine is broken and I've literally gone through and done every other fix.

BTW any thoughts on how to get the window back into the door without scratching the crap out of the paint?? Luckily the car is going back in for paint so it's not a huge deal but getting those threaded rods on the bottom of the window to clear the opening is a tight fit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.