Window Rattle Fixed - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Moderator Extraordinaire!

Just remember to adjust the screws only a little at a time until the rattle is gone. Going crazy with the screws can actually cause the window glass to bind in the tracks and get stuck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 05:15 PM

I tried this, and all it managed to do was move my window further away from the car when fully raised.

So I readjusted while window was up and all is well now

2005 Magnetic Blue Elise - "the Lotus" (original I know)
1999 Jeep Wrangler
2013 335 M sport.
If you dont GET it after you drive it, then you dont GET it - serpent
post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 03:46 AM

I wanted to warn anyone who does this adjustment that it can lead to problems. I recently adjusted the passenger window using the front screw and it fell out into the door cavity. I now had to remove the door panel and use a magnetic pick up to retrieve the screw which was easy. The hard part was getting double ended screw back in location. The screw is located between the access hole and the base of the window frame, this location is almost unaccessible, both physically and visually. I had to remove the inside door lock release which gives a small hole to get your hand through and try to install the screw by feel alone. This was a painful experience because while pushing the window frame, which hurts your fingers, out to give space, your wrist is being cut into by the hole edges. I can't explain how frustrating this was, not really knowing what I was doing, being blind and additionally, anyone with large hands would probably find this procedure impossible. Eventually, I got the screw in a position that may not be perfect but everything works OK.
Michael

post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 10:10 AM

In many cases, the rail's top screw is loose. To reach it, just take a philips screw driver with the window down, and tight the screw. Hard to see that's screw, but you can reach it by the window slot.When

Elise 2006, white, K20 turbo GT3076R, 395 whp
List of mod: I am just stupid putting that much money on that car!
post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Probably Lurking

@TheViper - Already posted earlier in the thread but I'll note it in the first post.

@elise/europa - already noted in the first post.

-Shawn (2005 Elise) || New England Members of Lotus Ltd. (NEMOLL) - PM me to join local info list or NEMOLL || UberPost - Elise/Exige info: common problems/fixes, etc.
post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 05:42 PM

Got the door panel off and some of the screws and 10mm bolts where loose. When the window is right to the top it rattles like hell, take it down 1/2 inch and no problem. I don't think this is an adjustment issue.

2008 Elise SC
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 06:26 PM

Does anybody have an exploded diagram of the lower adjuster?

2008 Elise SC
post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 06:48 PM

I've got this problem too, I tried the screw adjustment, but to no avail. Time for the next step.

05 Starlight Black on Black-Vader Package:Sport/Touring/Black LSS/Black Diffusor/Hardtop/Starshield/Extra Starshield/Leather Console/Tint/HID/Yellow Hi Beams/Micromirror/Carpet Buttons/Stan Shifter Mod/Trunk Bootie/Larini SE/Euro Grill/Fujita Intake/Azenis/ipod mod/4 JL Audio VR525-CXi/Starlight Black A/C Surround/Kemmler Seat Mod/Hardwired V1/Schroth Profi ii ASM/V-FORCE Harness Bar/S111 Harness Hardware/CRDMount/TitanQR/HNT Pad
"Stuff sold by the gram is more fun than stuff sold by the pound"
post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViper View Post
I wanted to warn anyone who does this adjustment that it can lead to problems. I recently adjusted the passenger window using the front screw and it fell out into the door cavity. I now had to remove the door panel and use a magnetic pick up to retrieve the screw which was easy. The hard part was getting double ended screw back in location. The screw is located between the access hole and the base of the window frame, this location is almost unaccessible, both physically and visually. I had to remove the inside door lock release which gives a small hole to get your hand through and try to install the screw by feel alone. This was a painful experience because while pushing the window frame, which hurts your fingers, out to give space, your wrist is being cut into by the hole edges. I can't explain how frustrating this was, not really knowing what I was doing, being blind and additionally, anyone with large hands would probably find this procedure impossible. Eventually, I got the screw in a position that may not be perfect but everything works OK.
Michael
Does this adjuster move the window forward & backward or sideways in and out?

2008 Elise SC
post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 07:15 AM

The top moves in and out, increasing or decreasing the angle of the window
Cheers,
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by evotell View Post
Does this adjuster move the window forward & backward or sideways in and out?
post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViper View Post
The top moves in and out, increasing or decreasing the angle of the window
Cheers,
Michael
Thanks. I can see what you mean about that screw being in an impossible place.

Regards

Terry

2008 Elise SC
post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elise/europa View Post
In many cases, the rail's top screw is loose. To reach it, just take a philips screw driver with the window down, and tight the screw. Hard to see that's screw, but you can reach it by the window slot.When

I played with the adjusters to no avail. After some rooting around I found the rail screws (somehow I missed this post..) The rail screw at the back of the door was all the way out. I sqeezed the screwdriver through the window slot and tightened it. The rattle's gone

"People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living. People don't say that about you...as far as you know."

LotusPALS http://lotuspals.ning.com/

2006 Elise
2013 Evora S IPS
post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:44 PM

developed this rattle this weekend, the whole window was tilting back and forth as I put it up / down and would sometimes get stuck. I'll try this, it looks promising.

SRA Champion 2011 and 2012.
My first Lotus gave me a track disease. Now working with and racing Porsche's
Rennpart.com
post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 08:31 PM

OK not thread jacking but just hushing the search police and maybe helping future people looking into this issue

I found these two screws in the bottom of my door and I do not know where they came from, does anyone know where they might go? I can grab the top corner of my window and tilt it back and forth...

^yeah I know nice background right?

Rennpart.com
post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 08:50 PM

The one on the right holds a window rail to the door frame!
post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 08:57 PM

that might have something to do with the whole window tilting then eh? I'll have to feel around better in there. I'm sure its going to be a lot of fun tightening these back down.

Rennpart.com
post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 01:39 AM
Arch. Project Manager

The one on the right holds the front or back guide rail at the top to the door and the other could go a number of places in all the doors hardware.

"This car is more fun than the entire french air force crashing into a firework factory." - Jeremy Clarkson

2005 BRP ELISE:
Sport Pack, Hard Top, Black Mesh Grills, Cup Air Box, TitanQR, Difflow diffuser, Larini Club Sport Exaust, Rear Panel Delete, RTD Brace w/Nitron Toe Pins, Mono-ball bushings, PRORAD, Reverie CF Side Scoops & CF Splitter, CF door pulls, Odyssey PC680. Filled seams including a custom one piece front paint protection film.
post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:06 AM

Ok like stated, the one on the right was to the front rail at the top (the one notorious from coming loose and preventing your window from going all the way up.)

However I'm still trying to figure out the one on the left. I think it might be #28 by lotusgarage's description:

However I think there is something that needs to be adjusted because I can still grab my window and lift it up and down! Maybe the "adjuster blocks?" (#22)

Rennpart.com
post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 01:17 PM

so... I put that top screw back in, apparently the hex head screw pictured above goes to the mirror possibly.

Here is what my window is doing even with that top screw in. It makes an annoying rattle at various RPMs too.

anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC5_jwLmBW0

Rennpart.com
post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 01:48 AM
Arch. Project Manager

Roll your window all the way down and look at the top of the back rail. It is bolted to a bracket that is fixed to the fiberglass door via epoxy. Mine broke free when enough people closed the door too hard. I had to take the top window gasket off in order to get in there and rough up the area, then re-epoxy the bracket to the door. Sounds like that maybe your issue. My window no longer rattles since the fix, though the glass slides forward and back whenever its rolled down, then wont roll up properly when the door is closed. I believe its the three problematic bolts listed in this thread, but I can't seem to tighten them or loosen them for that matter because I believe they are stripped. I'm not the first owner, but I'll get around to fixing that issue as well one of these days. Good luck,

"This car is more fun than the entire french air force crashing into a firework factory." - Jeremy Clarkson

2005 BRP ELISE:
Sport Pack, Hard Top, Black Mesh Grills, Cup Air Box, TitanQR, Difflow diffuser, Larini Club Sport Exaust, Rear Panel Delete, RTD Brace w/Nitron Toe Pins, Mono-ball bushings, PRORAD, Reverie CF Side Scoops & CF Splitter, CF door pulls, Odyssey PC680. Filled seams including a custom one piece front paint protection film.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in