Windshield Washer HELP! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Windshield Washer HELP!

My windshield washer has stopped working!!

I checked and the tank for the windshield washer fluid is full and it worked fine about two weeks ago but, now it doesn't work at all! It was a slow progression from a full blast two weeks ago to just a trickle last week and now nothing.

Could it be the pump or a filter somewhere? Does anyone know where the pump for the system is? Has this ever happened to you?

Thanks in advance,
Andy Kerchoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 07:04 AM
glb

the pumps are generally below the reservoirs.

But, can you hear the pump whirring? If so, the line is clogged or iced.

If not, check voltage @ pump. If ~12v, and connections are good, pump may be broken.

And, of course, check the fuse for this; locations in owners manual.

Lettuce know and we can go to next step.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 07:13 AM
Moderator Extraordinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
the pumps are generally below the reservoirs.

But, can you hear the pump whirring? If so, the line is clogged or iced.

If not, check voltage @ pump. If ~12v, and connections are good, pump may be broken.

And, of course, check the fuse for this; locations in owners manual.

Lettuce know and we can go to next step.
+1 for the above and here is a link to a parts diagram that shows the washer reservoir/pump assembly so you can see how the pump is assembled into the bottle: Lotus Garage - Windscreen Wiper Motor, Wipers & Washers

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

THANK YOU gentle men for the quick response and advice. I will use the diagram to work the problem out.

Best Regards,
AK
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

I just checked the motor and it is definately working. So, my problem must be "downstream" of the pump.

Anyone know what the most likely failure is? The biggest clue is that the washers performance slowly died and didn't go from full working to inoperable overnight.

AK
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 07:59 AM

I'm guessing the hose and/or washer jets are plugged with sludge. Do you have access to some compressed air with a blow nozzle/gun? If you do, disconnect the hose at the washer pump and direct a couple of blasts of air backwards through the washer jets below the windshield. This should expel the crud and open up the hose and/or the jets again.

Edit: I took another look at the the parts diagram and it appears there are some anti-backflow valves in the hose so be careful not to blast the air too hard through the jets and it may be actually better to try the air blast from the pump end of the hose. Also probing the washer jets with a small sewing needle works well for opening up clogged jets.

Last edited by tesprit; 12-21-2009 at 08:04 AM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesprit View Post
I'm guessing the hose and/or washer jets are plugged with sludge. Do you have access to some compressed air with a blow nozzle/gun? If you do, disconnect the hose at the washer pump and direct a couple of blasts of air backwards through the washer jets below the windshield. This should expel the crud and open up the hose and/or the jets again.

Edit: I took another look at the the parts diagram and it appears there are some anti-backflow valves in the hose so be careful not to blast the air too hard through the jets and it may be actually better to try the air blast from the pump end of the hose. Also probing the washer jets with a small sewing needle works well for opening up clogged jets.
+1. I've done this to several cars.

Mulholland Motorsports -Premium Collision Center specializing in Lotus service and performance upgrades.
8630 West Pico Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90035
(310)360-0948
www.mulhollandmotorsports.com
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

It's the pump. I blew out the lines and then tested the pump while it was detached from the water lines and the pump produces nothing. It just makes noise.

Anyone know what the part number is for a windshield pump for a 2005 Elise?

Thanks,
AK
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 07:37 PM

I could be wrong, but it appears that the pump and reservoir are only sold as an assembly by Lotus. I would suggest removing the assembly from the car and seeing if you can remove the pump from the reservoir. If you can remove it, take the two into your local AutoZone or other parts store and see if they have a pump that will fit the reservoir. I would start by looking at a pump for a Toyota Celica (here is a photo of the one sold by AutoZone AutoZone.com | Vehicle Selection | Year) and if that one doesn't work, look at their generic pumps to see if one will fit. I took a look at the reservoir on my Elise and it sure looks like a Japanese part. If you do find one that works, please post the part number and what car it fits.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for their help.

I ended up buying a new pump (and reservoir, as they are sold as one piece) from Premier Lotus in Branford, CT. It came to $48 and then I paid some more to have it shipped quickly to my home. I consider that money well spent and once again I am shocked that parts cost as little as they do!

Best Regards,
AK
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 11:01 AM
www.theapexinn.com

Attached Images

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 04:58 AM

I am in Toronto. Today I was driving in wet weather and needed to spray the windshield.

No sound. No fluid.

I am assuming the problem is that something is clogged or frozen. It was about -10 C (14 F) overnight.

I am going to leave the car in the heated underground parking at work and will try to diagnose later today.

Hoping it is nothing major. Will post my findings.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 07:51 AM

After a couple of hours in a heated underground all is well.

I checked that there was washer fluid.

Then I tried the wipers again. This time both jets sprayed easily. So it must have been something to do with our cold weather up here.

Relieved that it is working again. A little disappointed though that it would freeze up at only -10 C. I think my other car would have been OK with that temperature.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 08:22 AM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Craig View Post
After a couple of hours in a heated underground all is well.

I checked that there was washer fluid.

Then I tried the wipers again. This time both jets sprayed easily. So it must have been something to do with our cold weather up here.

Relieved that it is working again. A little disappointed though that it would freeze up at only -10 C. I think my other car would have been OK with that temperature.
add some better quality fluid and a bit of alcohol to prevent frzg

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:03 AM

mine isnt working either. everything seems to be hooked up right, and its full. i can hear the pump working. what a pita. ?
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:35 AM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
mine isnt working either. everything seems to be hooked up right, and its full. i can hear the pump working. what a pita. ?
You don't state MY of your car, but the orig fluid was low quality.

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:11 AM

Confirmed

That settles it, you shouldn't drive the car below freezing because the washer fluid from the factory isn't rated to it, screw the tires not being safe for use below 30F.
Mine's in the garage with the cover on.

Cheers
2005 MB, Red interior, sport/tour packs, stage 2 exhaust
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:32 AM

I recently had a similar problem, was ready to buy replacement parts but a little detective work turned up a clogged plug in the reservoir where the pump plugs in. Easy to take out and clean.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
add some better quality fluid and a bit of alcohol to prevent frzg
Thanks for the tip. This is a new car so it is the fluid that came with it. I think I'll top it up with something better.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:17 PM

its definitely not the original fluid in my 2007 exige s. and it certianly isnt frozen. the parking garage its in is constantly in the 50-60 degree range so far.
i did forget to mention that when i first noticed there was a problem, the reservoir was knocked off of its holder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in