The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Wiper Arm Stripped - easiest replacement source?

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Glen 
#1 ·
Was enjoying the Exige :ST: today, on the way home from a great mountain and desert drive :evil: with some local Lotus folks, when I encountered some light rain that was easily handled by the wiper assembly. Until...

The wiper stopped moving back and forth :eek:, and upon further investigation, the arm itself is stripped at the splines, as well as cracked where the splines form a female fitting that goes onto the wiper motor post. Between the splines being stripped and the female "hole" being cracked, the arm is toast :mad:.

Thankfully, the splines on the wiper motor post look solid; they're definitely intact after I took a small wire brush to them to clean out the debris from the arm. Another "thankfully" - I'm in southern california, so there is little to no urgency with this fix.

That said, I've done quite a bit of searching on this and one other sub-forum and haven't found a replacement wiper arm thread. Plenty of "wiper blade" and "wiper assembly", but nothing that addresses a stripped out arm itself.

Is my only option heading to the local dealer (Symbolic, which stopped selling Lotus a few months back but thankfully still performs service) for a replacement arm? I'm hopeful that this is some sort of Japanese generic arm, say from a Toyota Celica or Camry or some such thing that may be easily and quickly sourced.

Anybody have equivalent parts information to share?

See less See more
#2 ·
Also curious....

Did you ever find an alternate vendor for that part? I'm in the same boat now and likewise confident that the part is "standard" for something more common than an Elise or Exige.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.