Lotus Appoints Swizz Beats Vice President Of Creative Design And Global Marketing - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Lotus Appoints Swizz Beats Vice President Of Creative Design And Global Marketing

"Chillen in my beemer, listenin to Ether." Well, Swizz Beats won't be singing those lyrics anymore. Lotus has appointed American rapper and producer Swizz Beatz (Kasseem Daoud Dean) as Vice President of Creative Design and Global Marketing, this afternoon.

While Swizz Beatz has a broad creative background, having a portfolio that includes music producer, rapper, designer and painter, he's also an avid car collector, owning a Spyker C8 and a Ferrari Enzo. Lotus has likely appointed Swizz to this position as a strategic move, that is clearly targeting buyers from a different demographic (to put it mildly).

Dean's appointment follows on from an array of recent celebrity figures who have been recruited to take give their creative input to automotive companies. Last July, Victoria Beckham became the creative design executive at Range Rover, while Justin Timberlake is currently the brand ambassador for the Audi A1.

We await with baited breath to see just who the Norfolk-based producer of (for now) lightweight sportcars, chooses to bring into its fold next.

More: Lotus Appoints Swizz Beats Vice President Of Creative Design And Global Marketing on AutoGuide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 08:09 AM

...wait is this a joke? Bit late for April Fools.

I'm hoping they're just giving him a title and not any actual responsibilities.

2005 Lotus Elise - ForcedFed 340, now at 15 psi and needing dyno for results.
2002 Ford Focus SVT - 4.6L V8 RWD conversion, twice the cylinders and half the sense.
post #3 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 08:14 AM

Garage
Bizarre...

2009 Gray and Carbon Audi R8 4.2 MT Stasis Challenge Extreme
2007 Arctic Silver Lotus Exige S - Totaled https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231...1/#post5317729
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element

post #4 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 08:22 AM

Garage
Truly stunning. I guess the sound systems will change.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, Trim Shop interior, full cage, Cup wheels, BWR 'charger lives!
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed
post #5 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 08:59 AM

I think it is a bold move and I have to respect them for giving it a try. A celebrity brand ambassador can be effective and Swizz has appeal to a very diverse audience.

awesome joe ↔ driver
awesome joe racing
facebookyoutubeemailthe car
post #6 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 10:15 AM

What?

Reminds of the Wu Tang Financial skit by Chappelle...
post #7 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 10:43 AM

First and foremost....Please get your A$$es of the front of the car. No Lotus owner, let alone marketing or creative appointed guru should promote that on our cars!
post #8 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 11:21 AM

Is this a joke?

99% of the population (even the car buying population) probably has no idea who Swizzle Stixx is. So he owns and Enzo - wow. This is a BUSINESS job for a company with very specifics needs and even more specific challenges.

The guy has zero relevant experience from what I can see.

Now, if you wanna hire him to consult on audio systems, fine. But....

Kohler is a client of mine. I took a dump in my Kohler 'Memoirs' Lav today....as such, I'll be telling them that I'm expecting to be named their next SVP of Global Manufacturing.
post #9 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 11:43 AM

Garage
Instead of a rapper, shouldn't they be getting creative input from...oh, say...a CAR ENTHUSIAST or a RACE CAR DRIVER?

The next time I come across another Lotus owner on the road, instead of a friendly wave, do I have to learn new hand gestures and wear gold chains now? I certainly wouldn't be able talk to them, because the rap music from the 10,000 watt sound system would be deafening.

'10 Solar Yellow Evora
'06 Chili Red Elise (sold)
post #10 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 11:57 AM

This is the new Lotus, guys. While I am amongst the few who dig the new vision of the cars, their brand looks to be going into the shi t t er. The cars themselves will most likely be fast and fun (albeit extraordinarily expensive), but Colin Chapman's brand spirit is now officially dead.

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
post #11 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:03 PM

Joey Kramer or Steven Tyler from AeroSmith would have been a better choice. At least they they have owned Lotus' and are into racing.

I have barely heard of Swiss Beatz
They should have hired Modern English since that describes the company direction.

Vanilla Ice lives a few miles away and owns a bunch of cars and a car condominium storage building. I guess maybe he was out when Lotus called.
post #12 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:06 PM

Garage
I think you guys are overly pessimistic.

2009 Gray and Carbon Audi R8 4.2 MT Stasis Challenge Extreme
2007 Arctic Silver Lotus Exige S - Totaled https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231...1/#post5317729
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
post #13 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:07 PM

Who?

I quit.

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty
post #14 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:37 PM

First Day at work video

Did a search and found out he just got married to Alicia Keys a few days ago.
Maybe she will buy him a Lotus for their first anniversary like J Lo did for Mark Anthony.

I dont know how to embed stuff but here is a link to his first day at work at Lotus video and the second one has a commercial that you have to watch first but has him and a Lotus in it, and I think Alicia Keys is in it too. Chapman must be spinning in his grave at 9000 rpms. Maybe I should wait a few years and see if I can retrofit 22inch spinners and headrest TVs from a 2014 Lotus into my car. Instead of a cupholder they will probably come with a gunholder!

Lotus Cars - Take The Lotus Test: Guess Who?..

Here is a video he did that has a Lotus in it. I could only stand watching the first minute or so before feeling sick.

DDot Omen - Swizz Beatz x Alicia Keys "International Party" - Twitvid
post #15 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:52 PM

Considering how young everyone is always claiming to be (see the polls), it's surprising that this individual doesn't have more name recognition here. I am an old guy and have said so before, but there was an interview in the last edition of Lotus magazine with Mr. Beatz (Mr. Swizz? not sure either is an actual first name), and I didn't know who he was either, but all the 20-somethings I asked immediately knew who he was, and who he was married to, etc. He married Alicia Keys on July 31, but it was 2010, and they have a child.

Like it or not, this is where they're going. It doesn't seem to have hurt Bentley, Aston-Martin, etc. Dany Bahar has said he won't abandon the group that wants a light-weight (adjusted for inflation, if you want to sell a car that meets safety standards) inexpensive (adjusted for inflation - again) sports car. The proof will be in the pudding, but we'll have to wait and see.

Look, the only real Porsches are air-cooled, and they'll definitely go out of business if they ever start making an SUV; BMW died after the original 3-series; a real Ferrari only has 12 cylinders, and they don't make wagons; etc. etc.
post #16 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:55 PM

"I think we need to infiltrate the market in a cool way."

Working in the ad and design industry for over a decade, I've heard all sorts of bullsh it non-statements like this. We need to infiltrate the market in cool way? Really, dipsh it? Oh my god, wait hold on, lemme grab my pencil so I can write down this pearl of wisdom. That's the equivalent of a coach telling you to drop the ball in the basket to win the game. Thanks, Captain Obvious, but how the fu ck do you plan on doing that?

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
post #17 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:05 PM

Dylan, I have to disagree with you. Porsche, BMW and others continued on building on their core business/mission. Yes even Porsche with their SUV (which saved them). I do not recall them appointing J-Lo, Jay Z, Britney Spears etc....(Was scratching my head to come up with these names!) as their head of marketing and global design. This is a far stretch from what Lotus does...Simple, light, small number of cars for a niche market. Swizz guy is a great marketing tool for 15-27ish group, is this really Lotus' market??? Maybe I am wrong but as you said, let see the products coming out in the next few years and we can see then.

PS:
Watched the video for a minute or so....Can I get a transcript of the song please? I swear I speak English but understood at best 4 words in that minuted and a half.
post #18 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:31 PM

New Evora Convertible- Hip Hop Version

Maybe Swizz will have his friends Kanye and JayZ help Lotus design the Evora convertible seeing how they did such a good job with the Maybach in this video

Kanye West, Jay-Z - Otis - YouTube

I cant believe anyone listens to this stuff. I must be getting old or turning into my parents when I used to listen to disco!
post #19 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Considering how young everyone is always claiming to be (see the polls), it's surprising that this individual doesn't have more name recognition here. I am an old guy and have said so before, but there was an interview in the last edition of Lotus magazine with Mr. Beatz (Mr. Swizz? not sure either is an actual first name), and I didn't know who he was either, but all the 20-somethings I asked immediately knew who he was, and who he was married to, etc. He married Alicia Keys on July 31, but it was 2010, and they have a child.

Like it or not, this is where they're going. It doesn't seem to have hurt Bentley, Aston-Martin, etc. Dany Bahar has said he won't abandon the group that wants a light-weight (adjusted for inflation, if you want to sell a car that meets safety standards) inexpensive (adjusted for inflation - again) sports car. The proof will be in the pudding, but we'll have to wait and see.

Look, the only real Porsches are air-cooled, and they'll definitely go out of business if they ever start making an SUV; BMW died after the original 3-series; a real Ferrari only has 12 cylinders, and they don't make wagons; etc. etc.
Lotus is NOT BMW or Porsche or Ferrari.

That being said, I don't have a problem with him as 'creative consultant' or something like that, but head of global marketing? That's a business job. That's a guy with a Wharton MBA job. That's a job for someone who knows the industry. That's a business person job. This is a 'creative consultant' guy. The old adage, it's time to move aside and let the guys with the grey hair run things.

Not a job for a guy most people have never heard of - even if he is Alicia Key's sperm donor.
post #20 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 03:00 PM

I just threw up a little in my mouth.......

Charlie Lunsford
[email protected]
this signature quote may/may not be approved by demonized
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Front Page News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in