Lotus Appoints Swizz Beats Vice President Of Creative Design And Global Marketing - Page 5 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 03:38 AM
Registered User
 
MTLDean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MTL
Posts: 1,203
I just saw this Swizz Beats announcement and I have mixed feelings about this. Obviously we're committed to the ideals of Lotus engineering and racing heritage, but at the end of the day some new buyers have to get hooked.

Here's my logic: I'm a young medical doctor with a healthy income. All my friend-colleagues are graduates of around the same few years. Within a year or two, all of them went out and bought a fancy sports car. We all went from leased Wranglers and Honda Accords to several 911s, one Nissan GTR, an Audi R8, even a Ferrari California. I'm the only one with a Lotus (Elise SC). Not one of those guys even considered a Lotus, simply because it's not ubiquitous. Several of them asked me where I would even go to buy it or service it (one dealer in the city, not even a dedicated Lotus dealer).

Granted, these guys are not true car guys - most of them bought their cars because of pent up need to conspicuously consume after a decade of debt and living like poor students (except for the leased cars) and because after you go from broke to a few hundred thousand a year you feel like you're on top of the world. However, some of them are now tracking their cars twice-weekly and they're starting to look at Lotus more seriously - I've been asked to lend the car to go tracking, and one is considering an Evora now when the lease on the 911 is up (next year). Had I not brought the example, none of them would have even heard of Lotus, let alone considered it.

They're all white and well-to-do at this point, and most of them are into hiphop - not just who sings what song, but they read about these rappers' lives, where they live, what they drive, etc. I'd say there's definitely an influence, not because they idolize these rappers and want to emulate them, but more because the cars are brought to their attention in the first place.

Swizz Beats is not the most famous or popular rapper in the world, we all know that. He's a bit unique though, in that he sort of permeates lots of different rap genres and raps, produces, and every now and again nails a big hit (that song with Drake "Fancy" played all the time on satellite radio earlier in the year). He's also going the way of Kanye West and Pharell, in other words dropping the blingy showy clothes and jewelery and adopting a more sophisticated, relaxed style. In those photos look at his watch - rose gold Tonneau on a leather strap. Very discrete for a rapper.

Anyways, I don't know if anything I wrote made any sense, but I think this sort of thing is necessary to get young well-to-do guys into Lotus (to translate into sales and money for the company). You need exposure above all, and Lotus is suffering from lack of it, at least here in Montreal. A brand ambassador is not a bad thing, at least you'll hook a few and maybe they can graduate to a true appreciation of the engineering rather than just lust over the lines of an Evora because it reminds them of a Ferrari or Lamborghini.
MTLDean is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #82 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 05:14 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLDean View Post
I just saw this Swizz Beats announcement and I have mixed feelings about this. Obviously we're committed to the ideals of Lotus engineering and racing heritage, but at the end of the day some new buyers have to get hooked.

Here's my logic: I'm a young medical doctor with a healthy income. All my friend-colleagues are graduates of around the same few years. Within a year or two, all of them went out and bought a fancy sports car. We all went from leased Wranglers and Honda Accords to several 911s, one Nissan GTR, an Audi R8, even a Ferrari California. I'm the only one with a Lotus (Elise SC). Not one of those guys even considered a Lotus, simply because it's not ubiquitous. Several of them asked me where I would even go to buy it or service it (one dealer in the city, not even a dedicated Lotus dealer).

Granted, these guys are not true car guys - most of them bought their cars because of pent up need to conspicuously consume after a decade of debt and living like poor students (except for the leased cars) and because after you go from broke to a few hundred thousand a year you feel like you're on top of the world. However, some of them are now tracking their cars twice-weekly and they're starting to look at Lotus more seriously - I've been asked to lend the car to go tracking, and one is considering an Evora now when the lease on the 911 is up (next year). Had I not brought the example, none of them would have even heard of Lotus, let alone considered it.

They're all white and well-to-do at this point, and most of them are into hiphop - not just who sings what song, but they read about these rappers' lives, where they live, what they drive, etc. I'd say there's definitely an influence, not because they idolize these rappers and want to emulate them, but more because the cars are brought to their attention in the first place.

Swizz Beats is not the most famous or popular rapper in the world, we all know that. He's a bit unique though, in that he sort of permeates lots of different rap genres and raps, produces, and every now and again nails a big hit (that song with Drake "Fancy" played all the time on satellite radio earlier in the year). He's also going the way of Kanye West and Pharell, in other words dropping the blingy showy clothes and jewelery and adopting a more sophisticated, relaxed style. In those photos look at his watch - rose gold Tonneau on a leather strap. Very discrete for a rapper.

Anyways, I don't know if anything I wrote made any sense, but I think this sort of thing is necessary to get young well-to-do guys into Lotus (to translate into sales and money for the company). You need exposure above all, and Lotus is suffering from lack of it, at least here in Montreal. A brand ambassador is not a bad thing, at least you'll hook a few and maybe they can graduate to a true appreciation of the engineering rather than just lust over the lines of an Evora because it reminds them of a Ferrari or Lamborghini.
Good analysis, although I don't know that I want the guy giving me a colonoscopy to know that much about hip hop!
SwingLo is offline  
post #83 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 05:21 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavila View Post
The announcement is a head-scratcher to me as well, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. Just because someone doesn't SEEM qualified doesn't mean he can't do the job. Steve Young, Gary Fencik, and Muhsin Muhammad are in private equity - in some cases partners at their firms. The super-elitist land of pedigreed MBAs. Their prior experience in the NFL makes them qualified how? Celebrities like Jay-Z and Oprah are not worth billions because they make stupid decisions running their businesses. Mark Zuckerberg, Larry Page and Sergey Brin, and nearly every other first time entrepreneur/CEO in Silicon Valley were certainly not corporate executives by prior qualifications, yet there are many who are quite successful - some extremely so.

Lotus is the smallest independent car manufacturer based on 2012 estimated unit sales (which I think are optimistic at 800). The only smaller ones are Lamborghini (500 - owned by Audi) and Rolls Royce (600 - owned by BMW). The company has performed questionably (at best) from a financial standpoint for the better part of 25 years and has changed hands at least 3 times. A lot of the issues facing the company certainly preceded Swizz Beats and you could argue that it can't get much worse - from a sales volume perspective anyway.

Yes, this is a head scratcher and I do realize that some people succeed in places one wouldn't expect.

Can't comment on Moose, but Fencik is a brilliant guy and a Yale grad. Adams Street Partners (Fencik's firm) is a former client of mine and I got to know him quite well. Phenomenally nice guy and just a brilliant mind. I'm sure he's got a million contacts from his Yale days and perhaps he 'just has it'. My wife went to Michigan State with Mushin Mohammed, but that's about all I know about him outside of his days with my beloved Bears.

Have no idea about the business acumen of Swizz Cheez. I do know that a) most people have never heard of him and b) it's VERY risky. Even if the title of 'Global Head of Marketing' is in fact, just a title, it's a headscratcher as it implies a BUSINESS job.
SwingLo is offline  
 
post #84 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 05:23 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,534
Oh, btw. I met Dany Bahar at Pebble Beach on Saturday. Actually a nice guy and took a few photos with him - although his man handler assistant couldn't figure out how to take a pic on an iPhone.

As soon as I said 'nice to meet you' and walked away, another guy comes up (sounded German perhaps) and said 'Heir Bahar, what is this decision of the rapper?'

Couldn't really tell if Dany replied.

BTW - my wife has a big crush on Dany Bahar. So, now I gotta deal with that.
SwingLo is offline  
post #85 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Registered User
 
squidward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: .
Posts: 5,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoupe View Post
Dylan, I have to disagree with you. Porsche, BMW and others continued on building on their core business/mission.
uhh.. he was being sarcastic.
squidward is offline  
post #86 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,025
Thank you, Squidward.

Dylan is offline  
post #87 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Carbon Fiber
 
FistHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,637
I heard they give you a complimentary hand gun with qualifying Swizzy models!

FistHammer is offline  
post #88 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Registered User
 
Notorious L.R.G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia, U.S.A.
Posts: 1,245
Just found this thread, here are my jokes:

• Like Lotus, when you say his name, people get that look on their face and ask if he’s made by Ford.

• In this era of belt tightening, and in light of recent job cuts in Hethel, it is good to see the return of such corporate largess.

• That “rapper” position has been vacant for far too long.

• No wonder about the rioting in London!
Notorious L.R.G. is offline  
post #89 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Registered User
 
fitfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Diego!
Posts: 7,116
since lotus has mastered the art of bringing the right car to market at the wrong time, they have now moved on to hiring the wrong people and the right time...

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
fitfan is offline  
post #90 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,025
So let's assume the worst happens: the new marketing head takes the beloved Lotus, wraps the exterior in fake carbon fiber, takes off the back end of the car and puts in a ridiculously loud and over-sized exhaust, tints the windows 30%, puts in illegal and blinding HID headlamps - after tinting the lamp covers - shaves the front and back clams, splitters, grills and the side markers, wraps the inside in fake suede, with gaudy contrasting stitching, and lights it up with LED's so we can see the trick slide-out nav. lowers the car even futher with adjustable shocks, puts on brakes so large the wheels barely fit, puts on wheels so large they scrape the arch liners, replaces the footwell and/or rear shelf with a gut-busting bass thumper, replaces the black plastic bits like the carpet buttons, signal stalks, vent rings, etc. with blingy chrome, puts in a teeny tiny rear view mirror, crazy oversized exterior mirrors. and then throws on a supercharger so large the brakes and clutch are toast. Oh. Wait.
Dylan is offline  
post #91 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
So let's assume the worst happens: the new marketing head takes the beloved Lotus, wraps the exterior in fake carbon fiber, takes off the back end of the car and puts in a ridiculously loud and over-sized exhaust, tints the windows 30%, puts in illegal and blinding HID headlamps - after tinting the lamp covers - shaves the front and back clams, splitters, grills and the side markers, wraps the inside in fake suede, with gaudy contrasting stitching, and lights it up with LED's so we can see the trick slide-out nav. lowers the car even futher with adjustable shocks, puts on brakes so large the wheels barely fit, puts on wheels so large they scrape the arch liners, replaces the footwell and/or rear shelf with a gut-busting bass thumper, replaces the black plastic bits like the carpet buttons, signal stalks, vent rings, etc. with blingy chrome, puts in a teeny tiny rear view mirror, crazy oversized exterior mirrors. and then throws on a supercharger so large the brakes and clutch are toast. Oh. Wait.
Meaning?
SwingLo is offline  
post #92 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Registered User
 
fitfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Diego!
Posts: 7,116
i wouldn't put "profile" clichés on the new hire.... i kinda doubt that - i suspect he will be Danny's busy boy for all the grade B star power and stupid promotional campaigns - i would bet that will be the new guys bread butter day job. not product DESIGN, but product and brand marketing and such... i would suspect anyone with decent head on their shoulders and pleasant personality could do the job. i just feel really bad for the employees at the factory... its like danny hates malaysian money and is intent on getting rid of every bit of it as fast as possible....

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
fitfan is offline  
post #93 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Registered User
 
Aero.Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 71
The headlines keep flying that Lotus wants to go head-to-head with Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc., but I can't imagine this appointment ever flying in Maranello.


RIP: 2006 Autumn Gold Elise
"Your teacher wants you to go slow, and she's wrong because it's the fastest who get paid and it's the fastest who get laid." - Talladega Nights
Aero.Racer is offline  
post #94 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 06:24 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsThaMonsta View Post
You're pretty dumb if you actually think what you just said will happen.
What I'm saying is "having a rapper to head global marketing is a VERY RISKY thing and IMHO, not the best of ideas".

Last edited by Lotustwn; 08-23-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Lotustwn is offline  
post #95 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 06:37 AM
Registered User
 
apk919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Not Here
Posts: 9,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizz Beats View Post
I be wear'n dat jacket right now, yo. Word.
So what's with the user "Swizz Beats"?

"Guest"? "Posts n/a"? No listing?

apk919 is offline  
post #96 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Registered User
 
Acobra427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Metro DC Area
Posts: 35
Lost...

I do not understand this move from business point of view or design... I'm glad i have my lotus and guessing things will come will not have the same spirit of race behind them... Maybe bling bling 8(

I think it time to go old school anyway... looking for a older Ferrari to park next to my Elise 8) or maybe a Super Seven!!
Acobra427 is offline  
post #97 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:54 PM
Registered User
 
xxxotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,952
Musicians in business- Ideas that would have been funny

Run DMC should have been CEO of DeLorean Motor Company if they didnt go under and Flavor Flav should be in charge of ice cream design at Ben and Jerrys. Salt from Salt N Pepa should be working at Morton salt, and they will be doing a video called When it Rains, it pours, with the WeatherGirls. Biz Markie will team up with Marky Mark an the Funky Bunch they and be in charge of Business development at Funky Cold Medina.
xxxotic is offline  
post #98 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitfan View Post
i wouldn't put "profile" clichés on the new hire.... i kinda doubt that - i suspect he will be Danny's busy boy for all the grade B star power and stupid promotional campaigns - i would bet that will be the new guys bread butter day job. not product DESIGN, but product and brand marketing and such... i would suspect anyone with decent head on their shoulders and pleasant personality could do the job. i just feel really bad for the employees at the factory... its like danny hates malaysian money and is intent on getting rid of every bit of it as fast as possible....

Did you see Dany at Pebble Beach? I met him there on Saturday by the concept lawn and took a couple of pics with him.

He actually had little Smithers kinda right hand man with him...

The thing is - Dany is Swiss rights? Swizz/Swiss - I think I get the connection now.

I think they should has some multi tool knives and cheese with holes in it as part of the new car purchase package. And an ability to remain neutral on geopolitical conflicts.
SwingLo is offline  
post #99 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,025
One man's meat is another man's poison

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
Meaning?

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/...eather-105149/
Dylan is offline  
post #100 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,534
I'm confused. So a dude want's to do some customization to his Elise and that correlates how to SwizzCheeze?

Dude could do something very classy, ala a Ferrari California, or he can do it uber tacky West Coast Custom stylee.

I'm confused at what you're getting at.
SwingLo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Front Page News

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome