Lotus Elise Will Return to US in 2020 - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 04:56 PM
He's on fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
I think they have to make it more livable in order to make more sales. It will still more more raw that 99% of the cars on the market, so that's okay. Look at how refined the latest GT3 / GT4 cars from Porsche have become and those are some of the most raw mainstream cars on the market.
Agree with this. Car weight isn't a primary shopping criteria... performance, comfort, etc are.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 05:33 PM

Garage
To me the true beauty of the Elige is that it makes the transition to track car so so well. It gave guys like me with a couple of extra bucks but not really well off to live the experience of building up a track car and really learning some vehicle dynamics.

The new car should continue this, in my opinion. This is Lotus after all. Who else is going to do this?

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 05:35 PM

The good news is if the weight does go up the S2 cars will possibly retain their value for being light, simple, etc... I hope for a Porsche 993-ish scenario...

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 07:57 PM

They should have been working on getting the v6 exige here from day 1. I would have bought it already. Mindboggling mistake by lotus.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 08:55 PM
craigyirush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Coughy View Post
They should have been working on getting the v6 exige here from day 1. I would have bought it already. Mindboggling mistake by lotus.
I wonder how many they would have sold though?

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 11:14 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
I think they have to make it more livable in order to make more sales. It will still more more raw that 99% of the cars on the market, so that's okay. Look at how refined the latest GT3 / GT4 cars from Porsche have become and those are some of the most raw mainstream cars on the market.
I let my buddy, who daily drives his 991 GT3, take my Elise out for a spin. He got out and said that it made him realize there is a lot of unnecessary stuff in his car
dr-exmedic likes this.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 01:34 PM
Vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyirush View Post
Judging by the abysmal sales of 2010 and 2011 models, not many. That might have had something to do with the recession and dirt cheap used 2005s though.

2005 CO Elise: stage II CLF exhaust, B&M shifter, 5.25"/6.5" speakers, footwell lighting, RLS side mirrors, and 2 Dartholders (caffeine injection improves performance)
Uncage your garage queen and quit being a pansy. Daily drive it!
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swic View Post
Judging by the abysmal sales of 2010 and 2011 models, not many. That might have had something to do with the recession and dirt cheap used 2005s though.

While those were definitely major factors, the CEO was steering is right at an iceberg. They were making horrible financial moves like hiring rappers for consultants while completely neglecting marketing and brand awareness. The new CEO is showing a lot of promise and seems to be spending money in the right places. For those reasons plus a little 'softening', I could see the new car returning 2005 numbers of sales for a couple years which I'd call a success.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyirush View Post
approximately zero unfortunately

Ive always wanted to see the v6 exige badge engineered by toyota into the next supra.

Seriously, my car is small
07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
05 Saffron Yellow "bumbleBee", on to a new owner
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 03:23 PM
craigyirush

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
While those were definitely major factors, the CEO was steering is right at an iceberg. They were making horrible financial moves like hiring rappers for consultants while completely neglecting marketing and brand awareness. The new CEO is showing a lot of promise and seems to be spending money in the right places. For those reasons plus a little 'softening', I could see the new car returning 2005 numbers of sales for a couple years which I'd call a success.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yes, plus by 2020 all the 05-06 Elises will be a decade and a half old and owners may want to replace theirs with a new model; whereas right now you can get the early federal Elises in near as new condition if you are willing to wait and pay a bit of a premium. I hope, though, that they can keep the weight to ~2000lbs.

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Monkeywrench Racing mated the Evora V6 engine to an S2 Elise within a year from when the Evora hit the market. Check out their page (just add the .com at the end) to check it out. It's a monster.
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextavo View Post
I 2nd this..

If it were to happen, Lotus should just make all the 200+ federally mandated crap easy to remove, and not an eyesore when gone, also freeing up space for mods!
Agreed... and its a wait until "at least 2020", so probably closer to 2023?

My strategy is to keep my '06 and upgrade parts as they wear out to keep it interesting, and hopefully as light.

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

2006 Elise #1423
graphite / magnolia :: sports :: touring :: janspeed stage II
titanQR :: nitron singles :: EBC / pagid blue :: potenza re-11

Last edited by swistun; 10-10-2015 at 12:23 AM.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 03:56 PM

Thumbs down I'm calling BS also

If they wanted to do it, would it really take that long? Won't Hillary issue an executive order forbidding 2 seat sports cars because they represent an inequality of wealth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextavo View Post
I 2nd this..

If it were to happen, Lotus should just make all the 200+ federally mandated crap easy to remove, and not an eyesore when gone, also freeing up space for mods!
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
+1, I would have too in a heart beat!
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 09:51 PM
glb

Quote:
I think not.

Lotus can't develop > 1 car at a time, certify, crash-test, etc. Small company.

They went for the higher ticket car, which usually brings more profits.

This is what I'd do.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 08:04 PM
every day's a holiday

Garage
in the year twenty twenty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swistun View Post
Agreed... and its a wait until "at least 2020", so probably closer to 2023?

My strategy is to keep my '06 and upgrade parts as they wear out to keep it interesting, and hopefully as light.
2020 is in relative car terms is eons away. In the software business they call it vapor-ware. The "current Elise" would be hard to replicate in terms of the overall package. I think your Elises will maintain if not appreciate in their value. I consider mine an asset on my balance sheet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Front Page News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in