Lotus Evora 400 Pricing Announced - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 09:27 AM

Garage
It may be a $100K car when optioned but it will most likely sell as a $80K to $85K with discounts a year after it's introduction.

I don't see why the Evora 400 will sell any better in the U.S. than the n/a Evora did in 2010 or Evora S did in 2011 unless Lotus makes real efforts to promote the car beyond the niche market (like us). The upcoming Exige 400 in very limited supplies in the U.S., maybe that's another story.

2005 Lotus Elise- SOLD 6/9/07
2011 Lotus Evora - SOLD 4/18/13
2011 Lotus Evora S - SOLD - 10/7/14
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS - SOLD 2/13/16
2016 Something else in red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbeef View Post
I have heard this soooo many times about the current Evora and now the 400 and it annoys me. I get where people are coming from but the competitors are mass produced and usually built by robots in comparison.

Is $100,000 too much for peoples perception of a Lotus - yes - 100k is a lot for a raw rattly 4 cyl but not a rare, hand built, leather lined and - while it doesn't break any records - a fast car. I really think Lotus did a good job in being able to get/keep it at that price point.

For an example, to me 100k for a 911 is bad value - it's mass produced, you're nickle and dimed for every option and while they are awesome cars, for me they are not special enough to command that premium - at that point why not buy something like an RS5 and save 20k+.

For me, due to it's looks, the Evora/400 competes with cars in a price range above but is dismissed as it can't match their performance and it is too 'exotic' for it's price range. I also hate the questions on why not an R8, Vantage, F360 etc for the same money - simple, the Evora costs pittance to run.

Lotus have an issue - that is they build and sell cars that are priced well for what they are but due to peoples perceptions they are classed as overpriced. I also love when people say they need to federalize the Exige V6 - seriously how many will pay $100000+ for a fast Elise and I know as soon as Lotus got it here everyone would bitch that it's overpriced

Of course a $100000 Lotus is out of my price range anyway so it doesn't really matter
Well, the Evora is a 6 cyl not 4 cyl and the other cars you mentioned most of them are hand built/assembled and we are comparing it to USED Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin, R8 where you would be driving a 500hp plus machine and very exotic too.

The Evora is more civilized than the Exige V6 and very different. Yes, if they bring that one people would probably buy it because of the thrill of driving that particular car on the streets. I know I would trade my 2013 Evora for an Exige V6 ASAP
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiadawgs98 View Post
Well, the Evora is a 6 cyl not 4 cyl and the other cars you mentioned most of them are hand built/assembled and we are comparing it to USED Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin, R8 where you would be driving a 500hp plus machine and very exotic too.

The Evora is more civilized than the Exige V6 and very different. Yes, if they bring that one people would probably buy it because of the thrill of driving that particular car on the streets. I know I would trade my 2013 Evora for an Exige V6 ASAP
I think you missed my point - that the Evora is stuck in the middle ground between true exotics and 'run of the mill' sports cars. The fact that it's price point is within reach of used true exotics muddies the water more.

I guess IMO somone looking to buy a 911 (carrera) or similar is not necessarily looking for the bling the Evora can bring - these cars look more sedate. Yes the true exotics are a match in every way but cost a fortune to run. My point is the Evora is competitive as a 911 rival but people perceive Lotus as a stripped out Elige not a comfy/usable sports car like the Evora so assume the Evora is overpriced.

As for the Exige S. It is an extremely fast car but barring a small number like yourself and me that might justify, I think a lot of people would think $100000 for a fast Elige would be overpriced.

"People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living. People don't say that about you...as far as you know."

LotusPALS http://lotuspals.ning.com/

2006 Elise
2013 Evora S IPS

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 06:17 PM

Only Lotus worth $100k to me is an Elite. It'll be 40 years before you see your money out of a car like this.

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 06:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoseley View Post
Only Lotus worth $100k to me is an Elite. It'll be 40 years before you see your money out of a car like this.
We are buying for the here and now , not tommorow. I have 120k sunk into my Evora and love it every day for what it is, not the 50k that it may bring in market.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype S 430 **SOLD**
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoseley View Post
Unless you are talking about a Lotus Elite (1957-1963) there is no other Elite. The one that came out as a concept on September 2010 was just that, a concept and an unrealistic dream of the former CEO.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 03:24 PM

^^^Don't forget the Type 75 and 83 Elite which was a hatchback version of the Eclat.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 07:21 PM

If the Evora's didn't have that transmission issue still going on..https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170...alling-213194/ I might of bought an Evora by now. Luckily, my Elise is well sorted, so until someday they really fix that problem, I'll just wait. I'm hoping the 400 doesn't run into these issues either. Maybe wait a year before I buy the 400. I'll let you pioneers take a swing at it first.

Nevermind..looks like Lotus knows of the issue and has asked the owners to take it into the dealers to have it fixed on their own dime..unless your cars are still under warranty..hmm maybe it's time to shop for an Evora.

2005 Lotus Elise (Starlight Black)

Last edited by joldsha; 05-27-2015 at 07:26 PM.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 07:47 PM

They should have made an Esprit supercar replacement at $200K or more and then came out with the Evora, since it would be a Lotus at half the price. For 100K the average American would probably buy a new Corvette, HellCat, or Shelby Cobra and have a lot of money left over.

Personally, I think the Elise is more exotic looking that the Evora. Would be interesting to do a blind test among the unknowing and see which car they think costs more by just looking at the exterior..
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 05:47 PM

At least a 100 k out the door. Can not do that new...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Front Page News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in