Lotus Moving US HQ to Detroit, Evora 400 Deliveries This Year - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Lotus Moving US HQ to Detroit, Evora 400 Deliveries This Year

Quote:
Lotus is back.

Halting deliveries of street-legal cars in 2014, Lotus Cars USA Inc., will resume normal operations this year.

The British sports car maker has announced it will begin the first deliveries of its new Evora 400 model in December of 2015, with the car being sold as a 2017 model year vehicle.

As part of a larger restructuring of its US operations, Lotus will move its US headquarters from Lawrenceville, Georgia, just outside Atlanta to Ann Arbor, Michigan where it will share facilities with Lotus Engineering. Inc.

In a statement Lotus says the move, “will ensure that both divisions can grow their individual operations, while benefiting from improved efficiency through sharing a number of business functions.”

SEE ALSO: Lotus Evora 400 Pricing

Jean-Marc Gales, Group Lotus plc CEO commented that, “North America, as the largest sports car market in the world, is important for Lotus, both for model sales and for our engineering consultancy business. By having both of our USA organisations located in Michigan, we shall be within the heartland of the USA automotive sector, where the headquarters of some of the most important, influential and significant automotive manufacturers and suppliers are based. This will reaffirm our presence in the North American market, by providing improved customer service, better technical and consultancy support, while ensuring that we have access to a skills base not found anywhere else in the territory. All of this fits with Lotus developing speedily in North America in years to come.”

Lotus currently has 47 dealers in North America and says it has plans to open more.

The Evora 400 will be the first of a new rollout of Lotus models, followed by the 3-Eleven sports car and a rumored crossover.

The 400 will be both the quickest and fastest Lotus ever, with a 0-60 time of 4.1 seconds and a top speed of 186 mph. Lotus claims it is 6 seconds a lap faster around its test track in Hethel than the Evora S.
Lotus Moving US HQ to Detroit, Evora 400 Deliveries to Begin This Year » AutoGuide.com News
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 08:24 AM

Garage
Maybe I'm missing something but how does the move from Georgia to Ann Arbor, MI help Lotus? Operational costs would be higher in MI than GA, I assume.

Is it for more market visibility because if I operate a fruit stand across the street from Walmart, I don't I'd be getting much more of a market share than when I was selling fruit at the freeway exit.

2005 Lotus Elise- SOLD 6/9/07
2011 Lotus Evora - SOLD 4/18/13
2011 Lotus Evora S - SOLD - 10/7/14
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS - SOLD 2/13/16
2016 Something else in red
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 08:47 AM

James Selwa finally got his wish

(some of you may know what I mean)

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 03:24 PM
RBH

They will be about 1 hour away from Montrose Trailers - Custom Aluminum Trailers

Do it once. Do it right.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but how does the move from Georgia to Ann Arbor, MI help Lotus? Operational costs would be higher in MI than GA, I assume.
Two buildings rent. Now they will have one. Save money.

2005 SY-REV310 Supercharger, clam hinge, 2bular 8" single tip exhaust, 2bular header, Ohlin Double Adjustables, RTDbrace, Custom Kirkey 58 Series seats, Schroth 6 pt. harnesses, Multivex mirrors, Race battery, Micromirror, HID's, V2arms, Sparco removeable steering wheel, Volk CE28N's with Hoosier R7's, Pagid RS 14 pads, Cup airbox, catch cans, Ultradiscs, gPan, splitter, canards, Reverie wing, 6 element diffuser, proRad
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 06:20 PM

Garage
Then move it all to Ga

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
Then move it all to Ga
Their engineering group probably would lose more business than the cars group stands to gain by staying in GA. The engineering group actually has pretty good business doing engine testing for the OEM's in MI

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 07:04 PM

Garage
Well, they are still well South of Hethel

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotto View Post
Two buildings rent. Now they will have one. Save money.
Actually 3 buildings. Lotus Engineering has 2 locations in the Detroit area. Both have a LOT of test equipment that would be expensive to move and the Detroit customers won't take their business to ATL.

On the plus side the LCU employees will be able to keep their Delta miles!

Kiyoshi

Lotus events in California - www.gglotus.org
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 07:53 AM
Older but getting faster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
Then move it all to Ga
I lived in Bloomfield Hills (Detroit 'burb) for 2 years.

I pity the Lawrenceville folks this winter.

2006 Ardent Red Elise
Touring, Star Shield, hard top, remote V1 display and bracket, sun visor delete, micro mirror, shifter fix, Stage II exhaust, de-snorkeled, ITG air filter, Nautilus horn, black LSS wheels, ARP wheel studs, upgraded oil line fittings, ProAlloy radiator, s.s.brake lines, BOE Race Links, Innovative rear motor mount, plastic grills out, all aluminum mesh, Total Oil Control Wet Sump V1.1, s.s. caliper pistons, BWR sway bar, Penske NA coilovers.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 08:02 AM
www.theapexinn.com

Wow !! Just when I'm NOT in Detroit !! ( but Watkins Glen International is right across the street....)

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 01:43 PM
tmr

Bummer.

'05 Lotus Elise (Arctic Silver) Sport, HT, Stage II, Odyssey PC925, Cup 240r Wheels
'11 BMW 335i (Alpine White) M-Sport, Premium, Heated Seats, HK, Ipod adaptor, 6 MT, Performance Power Kit - Euro Delivery 5/11/2011 - daily driver
'87 Nissan Pickup (Burgandy) King Cab, used for hauling stuff
'17 Audi A4 Ultra (Monsoon Gray) Premium Plus - Wife's car - Delivery 2/17
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 06:44 PM

I'm amused that Lotus US HQ is going to be like 10 minutes from my place in Ann Arbor.

Drives a Prius (clearly knows nothing about cars).

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 08:56 AM

Stupid move

Hmmm,

Idiotic!

Jean-Marc says, "By having both of our USA organisations located in Michigan, we shall be within the heartland of the USA automotive sector, where the headquarters of some of the most important, influential and significant automotive manufacturers and suppliers are based."

Who in Detroit is "influential and significant" anymore? Detroit has become the "Armpit" of this country. It's truly embarrassing.

Doesn't he realize that Porsche just moved their US Headquarters to Atlanta, and Mercedes is now building their new US Headquarters in Atlanta?

And if this market is so important, why do we not have a supercharged V6 Elise?

Dah! What a move.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famous Frank View Post
Hmmm,

Idiotic!

Jean-Marc says, "By having both of our USA organisations located in Michigan, we shall be within the heartland of the USA automotive sector, where the headquarters of some of the most important, influential and significant automotive manufacturers and suppliers are based."

Who in Detroit is "influential and significant" anymore? Detroit has become the "Armpit" of this country. It's truly embarrassing.

Doesn't he realize that Porsche just moved their US Headquarters to Atlanta, and Mercedes is now building their new US Headquarters in Atlanta?

And if this market is so important, why do we not have a supercharged V6 Elise?

Dah! What a move.

Their facility that has already been in Ann Arbor has had good success and would stand to lose more business by a move to Atlanta than their present move. Jean-Marc is also newer than the decision to leave he American market. He sees opportunity here, but he has to first turn the tide that was set in place by his predecessor.

In the meantime, the U.S. manufacturers have been showing strong growth, and Detroit is presently seeing a revitalization

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famous Frank View Post
That is a pretty ignorant statement.
Tell us about what the local Lotus enthusiasts will gain with the move here?

Jon
2008 Elise S/C - Starlight Black

Last edited by MoBoost; 08-02-2015 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Edit
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 04:12 PM

Jon,

Maybe I was too harsh, but I remember being in Detroit 45 years ago. It wasn't like it is today. I also feel bad as I heard non of the employees here in Atlanta will be making the move, ..........including Arnie Johnson, the current President of Lotus Cars USA. Lotus has never had a greater supporter.

Employees from Arnie down, have always been terrific supporters of all the Lotus owners and even attend local club bbq's, etc. We here is Atlanta will miss them terribly and I personally wish nothing but the best for Lotus. I've been a Lotus owner since 1972 and I truly want them to succeed.

Frank
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 04:19 AM

I'll admit to being puzzled by the relocation, except for the opportunity for Lotus to consolidate their operations. I'm equally dismayed if the move as you've described results in none of the current employees coming to Ann Arbor.
Our winters are certainly worse than Atlanta, but Ann Arbor and Michigan in general is a nice place to live. This area is a car guys dream (except for the lousy roads). I better understand your frustration with this as I too want nothing but success for Lotus cars!

Jon
2008 Elise S/C - Starlight Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Front Page News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in