Top 10 New York Auto Show Debuts - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Top 10 New York Auto Show Debuts

The New York Auto Show kicks off Tuesday night with a series of pre-show events followed by the press days on Wednesday and Thursday.

There are certainly surprises coming, but even some of the already-announced debuts are exciting. Here's what AutoGuide.com is looking forward to most next week.

Check out all of the big reveals at the AutoGuide "2014 New York Auto Show" coverage page here.

More: Top 10 New York Auto Show Debuts on AutoGuide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 09:41 AM

Lotus at the NYAS?

According to the NYAS website, Lotus will be there this year. It's been very up and down for the last few years. Some years, it's been Manhattan Motorcars only, but I see they have no used, and only two new Lotus in stock.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 05:36 AM

Highly biased and ill-informed commentary

My opinions:

1) Alfa 4C - S1 front end, S2 body, Evora hatch. A guy walks up to me, and says, completely out of the blue, "Doesn't that look exactly like a Lotus?" No question the execution is well-done, but I predict will be too much Lotus for Crossfire buyers, and too little Lotus for Lotus buyers.

2) Ghibli - much smaller than I expected. Why put 4 doors on this, when there is no discernible rear seat foot/leg room? Wood grain on center console hideous. Maserati outside and Chrysler inside. Sadly, I think this continued through the rest of the line, but outsides are all gorgeous.

3) Lotus - no show again. One Evora on display along with the most self-impressed team (again this year) from Manhattan Motors (even the Rolls crew - Crewe? - seemed friendly and attentive). Why do they even bother to come, when they clearly find their iPads so much more interesting? But, Lotus shown along with Lamborghini, Bugatti, etc. further enhancing common belief that Evora costs $300k. (P.S. Louboutin heels do not add to your allure. You know who you are.)

4) VW - continue to have really attractive cars, unfortunately, most all with a turbo 2 liter. I guess that's just their niche. Tiguan is $40k? Wowsers.

5) LR - Evoque - not a female in sight who doesn't love it. EPA ratings for most vehicles now in mid-teens! Woo hoo! Range Rover looks enormous in doors.

6) Porsche - Macan - as pointed out by Porsche - not a smaller Cayenne, but a bigger 911, and looks that way with flared fenders. It's only about 6 inches shorter than Cayenne, but severely sloping roof line means substantially less cargo space, so it is really a bigger 911 - sort of like X6 - no apparent advantage other than height. Plus, turbo bases at $72k.

7) Rolls and Bentley - yes these are separate companies, but their displays were back to back, so clearly going after the same crowd. Beautiful paint jobs, and friendly staff. You can imagine the questions they get, and they seemed completely unperturbed. Most of the people are not employees of the car companies, but hired for these events. Clearly, these folks get excellent training. They also seem to understand that truly wealthy people don't necessarily look that way, and they treated all with equanimity.

8) Aston Vantage GT - yellow accents really disturbing. I was hoping I'd like them in person, given the attractive price, but they look worse. Much smaller than I expected, and much smaller than other Astons.

9) Ford - must have had 100 cars there. Very nice styling now throughout the Ford line. Nice colors (less Hot Wheels-y than prior years). 50th anniversary Mustang looked very nice, except rear panel slopes out, which looked odd to me.

10) Chrysler - Viper off by itself in a corner; strange placement. Every car is a version of the 300, but the Dart is nicely shaped.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 08:25 AM

I see the Alfa 4C on that list. Hasn't that been on like every list for 481 years?

I can never take that car seriously with the hideous headlights. I'd start a company doing aftermarket 4C headlights (like the concept ones) and I'd probably sell them to EVERY single 4C owner.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 04:00 PM
Race & Pamper

There is a yellow Evora this year in the NYIAS from Manhattan Motorcars, next to an orange Lamborghini Aventador and a Silver Bugatti Veyron. Close to these amazing cars, there is a black Koenigsegg. These are some of the nicest cars in the show that I saw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Front Page News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in