New Zealand Lotus Owners... - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

New Zealand Lotus Owners...

I believe I will be moving to Auckland this year. I can import my car duty free! From looking at classifieds over there used Exiges go for 80k-120k.

Since they are so much more expensive is labour very costly? How easy is it to get track time and new sets of A048's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 11:44 AM

I spent two years living in Auckland - loved it!!! Some great roads

There's a great car scene down there, I don't know any Lotus owners though.

Good luck.

2005 Elise: Starlight Black - Touring & Sport Pack Faster, Lighter, Safer: Nitron Sport Pro - Lotus Sport ECU - RTD Brace - Braille Battery - K40 anti-Radar/Laser - 4Tress Bar - Schroth 5P Harness' - Fire Ext'r - SS brake lines Audio: Alpine - JBL Speakers - Arqray Double Tip Exhaust w/ Sport Cat - Desnorkel/Green Visual: Hard top - Challenger Rear Grill - Carbon Fiber; Center Console, Diffuser, Front Splitter & Side Scoops - Stealth Bulbs - Folding Tow Hook, Bootie, Mircomirror & Buttons
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alil'britdifferent View Post
I spent two years living in Auckland - loved it!!! Some great roads

There's a great car scene down there, I don't know any Lotus owners though.

Good luck.
Some of the mountain roads on the south island are banked hairpin after banked hairpin. They go on for hours... I was craving my exige when I was over there in my rented Daihatsu...

I ran into a Porsche dealer organized ride. They run 2 cars, one ahead of the pack and one behind with radios and clear sections of road so the people in the middle can play without getting busted by the cops.

I got a ticket over there for going 6mph over the limit.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsalm View Post
Some of the mountain roads on the south island are banked hairpin after banked hairpin. They go on for hours... I was craving my exige when I was over there in my rented Daihatsu...

I ran into a Porsche dealer organized ride. They run 2 cars, one ahead of the pack and one behind with radios and clear sections of road so the people in the middle can play without getting busted by the cops.

I got a ticket over there for going 6mph over the limit.
Haha - I got a ticket there too - I wish I had my Lotus...
I was driving a Ford Focus:

The police officer was very polite, invited me to join him in his cruiser so he could explain how things worked... One of my friends got a good picture of me sitting in the police cruiser. I'm going to frame that with my ticket, I think.

Cheers,
-Darryl

2007 Lotus Exige S | Aspen White | Track Pack, LSD, Starshield, Cup Suspension.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Inactive

The person you need to ask is Ian Wilson.

Back when I was last in NZ, the local track (Pukehoke) was open every Tuesday/Thursday for open lapping for NZ$40. Often I'd get in over 100 laps, usually limited by the amount of fuel I'd bring along. I'm sure at least the price has gone up by now.

Do a search for Pukehoke Park, Hampton Downs, Taupo and Manfield, which are the North Island tracks. Hampton Downs is under contruction, and looks like a very nice track. Taupo has just been extended for the A1GP, and again is a nice track. Pukehoke has been on the verge of closing down for at least 10 years. Manfield is a little further but worth trying out.

Some advice - don't exceed the speed limit by more than 3-5 kph. There are lots of cops with laser & radar, plus fixed and mobile speed cameras. After a while you'll get to know how they operate so when you see an abandonded van beside the motorway you'll realize that it contains a speed camera.

I used to drive to Wanganui for work. At one point on the way there is a sign "winding road next 122 km" but it is actually about 140 km of continous corner/small straight/corner combinations. The brakes on the company car never lasted very long.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Inactive

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Awesome, that's wicked cheap. I spoke with a tech at Auckland Lotus today and he gave me some good info. They can also arrange shipping for me which would be great.

Thanks for the info gents, keep it coming!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 07:58 PM

New Zealand prices vs US

For starters the New Zealand dollar is currently worth about 80 cents American. Then again there was a time when it was closer to 50 cents. Also when I was there, the import duties on almost everything were very substantial. That was over twenty years ago.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
I believe I will be moving to Auckland this year. I can import my car duty free! From looking at classifieds over there used Exiges go for 80k-120k.

Since they are so much more expensive is labour very costly? How easy is it to get track time and new sets of A048's?
If you are into vintage motor racing, classic cars, automobilia, models etc., you might want to visit www.fazazz.co.nz in Christchurch on the south island.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 12:54 AM
anglophile in exile

The New Zealanders often hang out at the Aussie site - www.aussieelises.com. One thing to check is I'm not sure if you can import and register a LHD car.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedo View Post
The New Zealanders often hang out at the Aussie site - www.aussieelises.com. One thing to check is I'm not sure if you can import and register a LHD car.
Cheers mate! I can at least import it for 18 months, we'll see what happens from there. I'll check out that forum.

This is a reason I'm moving there, they have a great sense of humour!

http://www.aussieelises.com/forums/i...876&hl=zealand
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 08:18 PM
anglophile in exile

Quote:
Cheers mate! I can at least import it for 18 months, we'll see what happens from there. I'll check out that forum.

This is a reason I'm moving there, they have a great sense of humour!

http://www.aussieelises.com/forums/i...876&hl=zealand
Spent a year on the South Island based in Christchurch - fantastic country and really friendly people! If you haven't seen it there is a movie called "The World's Fastest Indian" staring Anthony Hopkins as a New Zealander with a dream to set a record at Bonneyville - well worth watching!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedo View Post
Spent a year on the South Island based in Christchurch - fantastic country and really friendly people! If you haven't seen it there is a movie called "The World's Fastest Indian" staring Anthony Hopkins as a New Zealander with a dream to set a record at Bonneyville - well worth watching!
I saw the movie while I was over there. I love it when they drop his bike in America and they get all worried and ask if he's going to sue them?

He goes "No, I don't have time for that, I've got things to do"

I thought that really illustrated the diff between American and NZ
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 11:40 PM

Talking

Hi when do you plan on arriving? The club scene here is great and the track days are brilliant!! Our next one is coming up 30th March. If you need to know anything drop me a line, I will do my best to put you in the right direction.
Kylie

99 Esprit Sport 350 No.23
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 11:58 PM

I also know Ian hes a top bloke and one of the many guys who love their track days. Servicing Elises/Exiges and any cars with Honda conversions for example are easily servicable here in Auckland. All the guys are into modding their cars and there are some pretty powerful machines here now, theres plenty of knowledge to wet your appetite . Servicing is cheap here from $60NZD per hour is what the main service agent charges. $20 to plug in the Lotus scanner tool to check for codes. Its very reasonable.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Awesome! No firm move date yet, but it's in the worx. I will def keep you updated.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 04:13 AM
Not the admin anymore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstevens View Post
The person you need to ask is Ian Wilson.

Attention...all relatively new people to LotusTalk. To those unfamiliar with Ian, read this thread. Yes, it's long, but well worth it. Many people thought it was the best thread of the year.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/show...hlight=America
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 06:11 AM
www.theapexinn.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacyTracy View Post
Attention...all relatively new people to LotusTalk. To those unfamiliar with Ian, read this thread. Yes, it's long, but well worth it. Many people thought it was the best thread of the year.

Wow... I forgot about that guy !! That was a cool thread.

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 07:44 AM

Being a big All Blacks fan, I can't wait to vizit NZ!

Isotope Green Elise SC "Izzy"
Krypton Green Elise ( R.I.P.)
Magnetic Blue Elise, dedicated track car
(sold to a friend)
Maserati Cambiocorsa Coupe
Porsche Cayenne S
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door!)
BMW 5-Series
Excelsior-Henderson Super X
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacyTracy View Post

Wow, I ve just spent two days reading it!!! I knew he did this trip but to read about it is awesome!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in