Windshield repair Bay Area shop recommendations - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
hello

Windshield repair Bay Area shop recommendations

Small stone did a minor dent on my windshield that morphed into a crack a bit later. Looking for recommendations on repair shops in the Bay Area in California.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 08:11 AM

Try a Yelp search.
There should be lots of possibilities in your area, but best to go with the recommendations of others who got good service/results.

Joel
'67 S3 Elan dhc (owned since 1970)
'10 Evora (Carbon Grey/Charcoal)
'13 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSELISE View Post
Try a Yelp search.
There should be lots of possibilities in your area, but best to go with the recommendations of others who got good service/results.
Yes, that is my question, feedback from anyone with elise / exige that had their windshield repaired around here. Both good and bad comments are useful.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 12:58 PM

See Rob or Eric!!!

Both shops know the best way to remove & install. Keep away from some mobile knucklehead that does metal cars and uses a big rubber mallet.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

Lotus events in California - www.gglotus.org
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 04:15 PM

Changing my windshield next week with Rob at Dietsch Werks. I can let you know after it is done although I have no doubts it will be pretty much perfect.

06 Elise, GG, Touring, Sport, Hardtop, Starshield
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamai View Post
See Rob or Eric!!!

Both shops know the best way to remove & install. Keep away from some mobile knucklehead that does metal cars and uses a big rubber mallet.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
Kiyoshi, your recommendation is also for a fill in repair? I thought no way these guys would do fill ins and I would have to find a windshield repair place.

I would not trust a non lotus shop for a full replacement.

Worst thing, I saw them at Sonoma yesterday and it did not even occur to me to ask them ....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus_forever View Post
Changing my windshield next week with Rob at Dietsch Werks. I can let you know after it is done although I have no doubts it will be pretty much perfect.
How did you work out the insurance with going with a third party shop for the windshield?

I have AAA and I called them and mentioned I would l like to take it to a specialty lotus shop and they are giving me a hard time since they don't find the shop in their system. They did not even like me taking it to the dealer. It seems their claims department for glass is associated with safelite. But safelite cannot repair it, and I would not trust them to replace it since they have not done a lotus before -- in fact they can only buy the windshield from the dealer. Not fun dealing with insurance .... :-(
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 02:53 PM

Are you looking for a repair or replacement? Had mine replaced twice by a glass shop (know a few owners that had used them). Itís the same place that the Lotus dealer in Redwood City uses. Been a few years and donít recall their name but if that is what your after can dig a bit.

If itís glass repair... wouldnít think our cars would require anything special, in that they would only be working on the glass.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB View Post
Are you looking for a repair or replacement? Had mine replaced twice by a glass shop (know a few owners that had used them). Itís the same place that the Lotus dealer in Redwood City uses. Been a few years and donít recall their name but if that is what your after can dig a bit.

If itís glass repair... wouldnít think our cars would require anything special, in that they would only be working on the glass.
I tried the repair first, also thought for a repair it should be standard. But I was told by 2 different shops the crack is too big. It is about 6 inches, but slightly bigger that the dollar bill they use for comparison, so they won't do it. For replacement, I did not want to go with safelite that my insurance suggests. The tech at San Jose told me they have not done a lotus before but have done a smart, same thing ... !?!!

So I called the dealer at Los Gatos and Eric at Mountain View to get quotes. But the glass claims people for AAA seem to be giving me a hard time on either choice now, working it out with them, but not fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > California Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in