Any Seattle members willing to help with an Exige PPI? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Any Seattle members willing to help with an Exige PPI?

Hey all. I am interested in this car:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-miles-286313/

I am in CA bay area, and hoping someone can help me out with how to figure out if I should buy this Exige. I recently met up with a fellow forum member (forkmeupscotty) who helped steer me away from a local Exige with a host of issues after looking at it. I'm hoping someone with more knowledge (and proximity) than me can help me out with this car in Seattle. My brother lives in Seattle and could look at the car for me, but he doesn't know what to look for really. Forkmeupscotty recommended posting here to see if someone would be willing to help.

Also, can any of you recommend a shop to do a PPI and any recommendations on how to get a PPI done on a car in another state? Sorry for the ignorance, but I've never shopped for a used car in another state before.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 10:00 PM

My input is to make an offer on the car contingent upon a clear ppi, no issues. That way the seller will have incentive to get it done. Of course you must agree on who pays for it if it passes or fails. Good luck!

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeongeneral View Post
My input is to make an offer on the car contingent upon a clear ppi, no issues. That way the seller will have incentive to get it done. Of course you must agree on who pays for it if it passes or fails. Good luck!
+1

I would expect the current owner to pay for the PPI if it fails... I mean, don't try to nickel and dime each little thing they find, because they WILL find something... it is their job after all. But if anything major is found, they probably knew about it and I'd place the inspection costs on them.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrek1280 View Post
+1

I would expect the current owner to pay for the PPI if it fails... I mean, don't try to nickel and dime each little thing they find, because they WILL find something... it is their job after all. But if anything major is found, they probably knew about it and I'd place the inspection costs on them.
The car is at a dealer currently. Possibly on consignment? Does this change logistics? Any recommended shops in that area?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 09:16 AM

PM "Butters" or "smokin orange"

Both live in Seattle area and have an Exige. In fact, "smokin orange" has an 08 Exige S240 in black as well. Worst case scenario, I can have my assembly man do the PPI, he's up near Bellingham.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qu1Z View Post
PM "Butters" or "smokin orange"

Both live in Seattle area and have an Exige. In fact, "smokin orange" has an 08 Exige S240 in black as well. Worst case scenario, I can have my assembly man do the PPI, he's up near Bellingham.

Thanks for the tip.

PMs were sent.

I am ready to buy this car, but want someone to lay eyes on it first if possible. If not, I guess a PPI will have to do.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 03:32 PM
Less is Better

You're buying an expensive car, have the owner take it in for a professional inspection at Cantrell Motorsports. I, as just a guy who owns a Lotus, wouldn't want to take on the liability if there was something wrong with the car that I didn't find, that's what the pros are for.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I talked to the seller (car is on consignment). He also mentioned Park Place for a PPI. Any idea which is better? I'm going to try to arrange it this week.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 03:51 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorDingDong View Post
Yeah, I talked to the seller (car is on consignment). He also mentioned Park Place for a PPI. Any idea which is better? I'm going to try to arrange it this week.
Park Place is our dealer. They're decent, but still a dealer. I like an independent shop. Cantrell works on exotics and preps cars for track duty. They're mostly Porsche, but they know Lotus as well.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 05:33 PM

I work across the street from Park Place and would be happy to take it for a drive, or inspect it on their rack. Their parts dept knows me.

They're an authorized dealer, so I'd trust their PPI though, even if they are selling it. They did my private sale car when I bought it 5 years ago. I haven't found problems since that they didn't see, and I've had the body off several times. I would never expect the owner to pay for a PPI, but since Park Place is selling it, I would think they'd have done it already.

I tried to use Cantrell, but they never called me back. I get the impression that they're only interested in Porsche business now.

-------------
edit

Just remembered, I'm flying out Monday morning. I won't be back until Friday.

Last edited by MotoGeek; 04-18-2015 at 05:38 PM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGeek View Post
I work across the street from Park Place and would be happy to take it for a drive, or inspect it on their rack. Their parts dept knows me.

They're an authorized dealer, so I'd trust their PPI though, even if they are selling it. They did my private sale car when I bought it 5 years ago. I haven't found problems since that they didn't see, and I've had the body off several times. I would never expect the owner to pay for a PPI, but since Park Place is selling it, I would think they'd have done it already.

I tried to use Cantrell, but they never called me back. I get the impression that they're only interested in Porsche business now.
The car is not at Park Place, but a different dealer. It seems like either shop would be a decent choice from my limited reading. I assume both places will do the basic once over inspection, an ECU dump, cam check and compression test...?

Let me ask you guys this- do you think it is valuable to have a forum member take a look at the car, or do you think a PPI from one of these shops will be adequate for me to buy a car sight unseen? Or do you think I should fly up and look at it myself, not being a lotus expert?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 06:06 PM

Park Place is the only shop I know of that will have the OEM Lotus scan tool required to give you an ECU dump. That will tell you some very basic data about how it was driven. Beyond that, you'll want someone to drop the undertray panels, and inspect the tub and suspension mounts, and see if there are signs that the crash structure has been damaged or replaced. If those things check out, there really isn't anything else major that can't be fixed easily.

I suppose you want to verify basic functionality though. It's common for the A/C to go out, and sometimes the fan relay goes nuts.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 08:29 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
The car is not at Park Place, but a different dealer. It seems like either shop would be a decent choice from my limited reading. I assume both places will do the basic once over inspection, an ECU dump, cam check and compression test...?

Let me ask you guys this- do you think it is valuable to have a forum member take a look at the car, or do you think a PPI from one of these shops will be adequate for me to buy a car sight unseen? Or do you think I should fly up and look at it myself, not being a lotus expert?
I wouldn't buy a car like this without driving it myself. The ticket from CA is cheap.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 08:39 PM

Have appi done. When it passes make an offer contingent upon a test drive and a personal look. Buy a plane ticket and drive it home.

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

[email protected]
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
I wouldn't buy a car like this without driving it myself. The ticket from CA is cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeongeneral View Post
Have appi done. When it passes make an offer contingent upon a test drive and a personal look. Buy a plane ticket and drive it home.
Huh now you've got me thinking. I can't get up to Seattle for a couple weeks. My brother lives up there; I'm gonna have him look at the car this week. He's not a lotus expert either but he's got a good eye and can take some close up pics if needed. He can also do a quick drive (if he fits in the car, he's 6'4") and make sure it runs OK. I'm thinking this will be as good as me seeing the car in person. Then I can just have the car shipped. I'm thinking a 15hr drive on I5 isn't a fun proposition, not to mention the pointless miles on the car.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Huh now you've got me thinking. I can't get up to Seattle for a couple weeks. My brother lives up there; I'm gonna have him look at the car this week. He's not a lotus expert either but he's got a good eye and can take some close up pics if needed. He can also do a quick drive (if he fits in the car, he's 6'4") and make sure it runs OK. I'm thinking this will be as good as me seeing the car in person. Then I can just have the car shipped. I'm thinking a 15hr drive on I5 isn't a fun proposition, not to mention the pointless miles on the car.
When I was looking I drove all over the state and even out of state to find "the perfect Elise". I had a couple sellers make a deal with me and got screwed over because Iccouldn't move fast enough. If this is "the one" you should move before it gets sold out from under you.

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

[email protected]
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 01:43 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
I-5 would be a waste of miles, but Pacific Coast Highway would be exactly what the car is made for.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
I-5 would be a waste of miles, but Pacific Coast Highway would be exactly what the car is made for.

True, that. I'd love take the 1/101 all the way but I don't have time for it unfortunately.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 05:58 PM

I'm probably going to be buying a car in Sunnyvale next week, and driving it back. I'll wave if I see you going the opposite way.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Deal is done. I had my brother check it out, and had a PPI done at Park Place (Cantrell was booked for weeks).

99% sure I will ship the car. Thanks for all the tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Northwest Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in