IDAHO/MT/WYOMING LODGING - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

IDAHO/MT/WYOMING LODGING

Hello there

HEading up on a road trip from Los ANgeles up to Idaho Falls, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Missuola, MT, and Glacier.

Anybody have any decent lodging recommendations?

Looking for a night stay in Idaho Falls or surrounding area for a night or two on the way up.

On the way down, I will stay in VEgas.

I have a place in Missoula MT for a few nights booked.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 10:32 AM

Awesome! I'm from Missoula! You'll have to meet up with JP, he's got a tricked out 05 Elise. His email: [email protected]

Some of my favorite restaurants: HuHot, The Depot, and Iron Horse. You should cruise the drag downtown. Do not leave your car downtown, as the hippies will get jealous and damage it. It's a drinking / college town and there aren't many nice cars, mostly subaru outbacks.

For your road trip up.... you are definitely going the wrong way... you will not encounter the best twisties and roads if you go through idaho falls. Go through Boise and hit HWY 95... which connects to HWY 13 in Grangeville and HWY 12 all the way up to Missoula. If you want epic twisties and beautiful sights, especially in the coming month or two... you'll be extremely pleased. Hells canyon and HWY 12 are as good as it gets. Stay the night in Boise, and then its a quick 7 hour drive to Missoula.

Last edited by qu1Z; 03-10-2015 at 10:47 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

THank you!

I was going to PM you, but I saw you are in FL.

I can come down through Boise. On the way up I want to hit Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, thus the reason to go up through Idaho Falls

I am headed out next week--so I know some roads will be closed for winter

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 11:16 AM

Okay - if you head south on those routes then that will work.

Have a good time!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the info!

DO you see any of those roads being closed for the winter? I am noticing a lot of roads north of Grand Teton being closed?

I will post back. Going for 10 days. Hope to hit about 3500 miles.

Out of the 3 restuarants you suggested
HuHot, The Depot, and Iron Horse

Which one would you recommend taking a friend (thanking them for their Missoula Hospitality?)

I can hit 2, likely wont make all 3, since will be upin Glacier for some time as wel.

Also any ideas for anything up there to buy and bring back as gifts for people down south (not mooseheads for the wall lol)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotuscupcar View Post
Thank you for the info!

DO you see any of those roads being closed for the winter? I am noticing a lot of roads north of Grand Teton being closed?

I will post back. Going for 10 days. Hope to hit about 3500 miles.

Out of the 3 restuarants you suggested
HuHot, The Depot, and Iron Horse

Which one would you recommend taking a friend (thanking them for their Missoula Hospitality?)

I can hit 2, likely wont make all 3, since will be upin Glacier for some time as wel.

Also any ideas for anything up there to buy and bring back as gifts for people down south (not mooseheads for the wall lol)
Glacier Park's 'Going to the Sun' road usually doesn't open until May or June. You can still enjoy Flathead Lake (on the way to Glacier). Take the east side around the lake (hwy 35), it's the most scenic. You'll go through a quaint town called Bigfork. Then you'll end up in Kalispell, the new booming town in Montana. Head up further to Whitefish, another quaint ski resort town.

Some gifts to buy that are unique to the area would be Huckleberry Jam or Huckleberry chocolate. It's a berry that's unique to Idaho and Montana only. You could also buy Moosedrool beer, or any local beer - as brewerys are everywhere up there. When you are entertaining your friends, the Iron Horse downtown would be a safe bet. It's a pub but it has decent food and a great atmostphere, right on the drag downtown.

As for roads being closed, they should all be open (except Glacier Going to the Sun road). Just watch for snowfall, as the passes will be sketchy and may close if they get dumped on.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Man thank you SO much.

Yeah I read about only 12 miles of 50 miles of Glacier is open, which is fine with me. Definitely going through Flathead. Going mostly for the scenary.

MAN you NAILED it with the Jam and CHocolate. THose are PERFECT gifts. ANy recommended place to buy, or you find them everywhere?

Iron horse it is!

Sorry for so many questions, but the MT/ID/WY forums on all boards are pretty dead.

You are a lifesaver (aside from reading stuff on google).

Quote:
Originally Posted by qu1Z View Post
Glacier Park's 'Going to the Sun' road usually doesn't open until May or June. You can still enjoy Flathead Lake (on the way to Glacier). Take the east side around the lake (hwy 35), it's the most scenic. You'll go through a quaint town called Bigfork. Then you'll end up in Kalispell, the new booming town in Montana. Head up further to Whitefish, another quaint ski resort town.

Some gifts to buy that are unique to the area would be Huckleberry Jam or Huckleberry chocolate. It's a berry that's unique to Idaho and Montana only. You could also buy Moosedrool beer, or any local beer - as brewerys are everywhere up there. When you are entertaining your friends, the Iron Horse downtown would be a safe bet. It's a pub but it has decent food and a great atmostphere, right on the drag downtown.

As for roads being closed, they should all be open (except Glacier Going to the Sun road). Just watch for snowfall, as the passes will be sketchy and may close if they get dumped on.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 11:56 AM

It's my pleasure! I wish more Lotus owners would experience the great roads in Montana and Idaho. While you are driving from Missoula up to Flathead lake, there are a few places you can stop and buy Huckleberry Jam. Once you get into St. Iganatius on the indian reservation and see the beautiful Mission Mountains, there is a shop on the left hand side in town just off the highway. If they are closed, then proceed to Polson (you'll go through polson on your way to Glacier). There may me a few souvenir shops. Safeway may even have some Huckleberry items. Polson used to be a hopping and fun town, but it's really died. Bigfork, Kalispell and Whitefish are good places to search for that stuff. Google it to be sure.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Got in touch with JP (does he post here?) and he sent me his number. Said car hasn't been out all season I

I have done cross country a few times. Saw all of north west, north east, south, and west.

Haven't done ALaska or the WY/MT/ID so this is my chance to do it. I prefer it to go in off season, quieter, ande I like to see the winter beauty up there.

I am tired of sunny skies

Thank you once again. If you remember anything else (roads/must see places/things to eat) etc, just PM me or post up here.

I get on the road on 3/17.

I would buy a few of your diffusers to say thanks, but I have the ReVerie ones for a few years.

Quote:
It's my pleasure! I wish more Lotus owners would experience the great roads in Montana and Idaho. While you are driving from Missoula up to Flathead lake, there are a few places you can stop and buy Huckleberry Jam. Once you get into St. Iganatius on the indian reservation and see the beautiful Mission Mountains, there is a shop on the left hand side in town just off the highway. If they are closed, then proceed to Polson (you'll go through polson on your way to Glacier). There may me a few souvenir shops. Safeway may even have some Huckleberry items. Polson used to be a hopping and fun town, but it's really died. Bigfork, Kalispell and Whitefish are good places to search for that stuff. Google it to be sure.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Once you get into St. Iganatius on the indian reservation and see the beautiful Mission Mountains, there is a shop on the left hand side in town just off the highway.
My sister has a body shop in St. Ignatius, she paints all my restorations and race cars. Two Rivers Autobody, so if you see a BMW 330 exceeding the speed limit (ha ha) that's her heading to work and back from home in Arlee.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 08:40 AM

Garage
if you come through Boise, hit me up. qu1z and I have tore the streets up here a bit a time or two.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Bummer

I did come through Boise

Trip is long over now

Beautiful country up there

Jealous of all the land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Northwest Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in