Portland, OR Lotus Owners? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Portland, OR Lotus Owners?

I'll be in Portland for the next week on business, wondering if there are any Lotus peeps in the area that would want to meet up or could make suggestions on things to check out whilst I'm there. Also wouldn't mind checking out any racetracks in the area.

2005 Krypton Green Lotus Elise
1993 Black BMW 325i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 11:53 AM

Portland has a couple Cars & Coffee gatherings. I went to the one in Tigard when in town earlier this year.

Portland Cars and Coffee | Real estate for people who love cars
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawdor View Post
Portland has a couple Cars & Coffee gatherings. I went to the one in Tigard when in town earlier this year.

Portland Cars and Coffee | Real estate for people who love cars
Thanks for the suggestion! Joined their FB group.

2005 Krypton Green Lotus Elise
1993 Black BMW 325i

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 09:17 PM

I am in the Portland area but can't really show you the track at this time of the year, but you could do Sykart in Tigard.

2005 Lotus Elise - Laser Blue - SOLD
2005 Lamborghini Gallardo - Weekend Car
2010 Ferrari California
2016 BMW X5M - Wifemobile
2014 Ram 1500 Limited - Tow Vehicle
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 10:42 PM
German Reimport

I'll be moving back there in November, so you are one week too early to meet.

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 12:49 PM

I'm moving to Portland in the next few months, hopefully i'll find car guys there!

Sport Elise #30
BMW Z4 sdrive35i
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 12:55 PM
German Reimport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierBayArea View Post
I'm moving to Portland in the next few months, hopefully i'll find car guys there!
I'm here

You should check out Club Lotus Northwest - Serving Southwest Washington and Oregon

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 08:29 AM

Ohh man good you are here, i have some questions about Portland & cars.

I was there yesterday to see the house we're buying, and did not notice a single 'exotic looking' car on the road. So i was wondering what is your experience of regular people + your car?. Did you ever get keyed or any bad experience from them?, i know there seems to be resentment about people coming to live into their lovely city. I was actually considering upgrading the Elise into something fancier but now i'm scared.

The other thing i wanted to know, is what do you do to not go insane with such low speed limits?. It made me think that instead of 'upgrading' the elise, i should downgrade it. Get a real slow car that's just fun and loud and not get frustrated.

Sport Elise #30
BMW Z4 sdrive35i
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 09:03 AM
German Reimport

The reason why you don't see too many exotic cars this time of the year is the local weather and the gravel on the roads.
You will see a lot more nice cars once the weather changes.
I drove my car here in Portland from 2006 thru 2008 and then again last year. 2008 thru 2014 I had it in Germany.
The first two years I never had any bad experiences, even though I used to sometimes park the car in public. Overall I mostly got positive resonances.
Germany was very different. Hardly anybody even seemed to notice my car with all those other Porsches etc. around. The few times I did get a reaction it was positive.
Moving back to Portland I all of a sudden realized all the negativity around here.
While there are still a lot of people who give me thumbs up, I had three encounters within the first four weeks of driving.
First was on my way to get the car smog checked in order to get it registered. I'm waiting at a stop light to make a left turn when a guy in an old beat up pick up truck going the other direction sees me, slows down, rolls down his window and spits at me as he drives by.
Second was a week later driving behind an old Jeep (without pushing him or anything) when the guy rolls down his window, throws a full paper cup of coffee out towards me and then flips me off.
And the third was not long after that driving on a two lane road in a 25mph zone where the oncoming traffic was backed up. I drive by the line of cars, and when one guy sitting in the oncoming lane sees me, he rolls down the window and throws something at me (not sure what it was and he missed the car).
Overall, there seems to be a lot of idiots around here.
That, plus the fact that there seems to be hardly anybody on the road who knows how to drive... People always cutting the double yellow in blind turns, driving 20 miles under the speed limit, not turning on their light in the dark...

I mostly drive my car on the weekends here and on the back roads where there is hardly any traffic. And on the track of course. But I don't park it anywhere in public anymore except for the few times when I take it into work. But there we have security and we're in a location with little thru traffic and no pedestrian traffic.

Regarding the speed limit, I agree that it is insanely low, and people drive even slower than the speed limit.
But then there's the very nice twisty back roads with no traffic and no cops. Just make sure you have a good radar detector

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 09:17 AM
every day's a holiday

Garage
Portland Speed Bumps

How do your cars manage the planned speed bumps like the ones in SE Portland (Tabor area)?
I'm in Forks and will be getting down there sometimes.
Regards

05 Storm Titanium Elise
74 VW Bus
04 Mercedes 2500 SHC Sprinter
09 Triumph Bonneville
66 Merc 60 6 HP Outboard 2 cylinder (remember Flipper?)
Potential Acqusition: MGB GT
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 12:18 PM
German Reimport

I never had the car over in that area. I'm mostly driving on the west side and out towards the coast.
My car handles the speed bumps on Germantown and Skyline ok as long as I creep over them. That is with a splitter installed.
I do not take the car down Cornell though. The speed bumps there a relatively tall and short, and I think I wouldn't make it over those without scraping the front or even high centering the car.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 09:45 AM

Thanks Mr.C those are the kind of situations i was afraid could happen in this new town.

I'm going to be in Lake Oswego maybe in 2 months or so, maybe someday we can meet up and you can show me those back roads.

Sport Elise #30
BMW Z4 sdrive35i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Northwest Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in