Potentially relocating to Oregon.. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Potentially relocating to Oregon..

Hi guys.. This is for those of you who live or have lived in Oregon.

As a California native, I am very sick of not being able to afford a home even on a six figure income. Let me restate that.. afford a home that is not a dump or located in a crummy neighborhood.. So I have been pondering the idea of moving out of state. Housing appears to be much cheaper anywhere else than Southern California. I don't know too much about other states, given I have never lived anywhere else, and I have only ventured outside California once or twice for business. I have been told the tech industry is growing in Oregon..

I was looking at the city data for Portland (where all the tech jobs seem to be) and saw a surprisingly high crime rate (it is in the 7th percentile, which means 93% of all cities in the USA are safer). I've always had the notion that Oregon is a quiet place with lots of space. Forgive me for any ignorance I might show.

Anyway, I'd like to hear any opinions you might have.

BTW, I am well aware some of you might intentionally deter a Californian from migrating to your peaceful state . Southern California weather is awesome, but is it really worth the madness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 10:18 PM

Hi I moved to a small town called Grants Pass in Dec of 1987 and I can tell you it was the best decision of my life. Great weather, no sales tax and I can be in the snow in 45 minutes or at the ocean in 90 minutes. I guess it would depend on what you do for a living whether or not you would be happy living in a large town like I do. I find that my money goes a long way and if you happen to be an outdoors person you will love it here. We don't have the rain fall that P town gets so that's another reason to go further south. I live about 90 miles from the CA border and if you would like more questions answered you can reply to my email and we can exchange numbers. If you do come through my town I would love to get a ride cause right now unfortunately I fall in the category of a wannabe I have to wait till I find an Elise that I can afford or somebody who wants to trade for a 2006 Mazda MX-5 or both. Let me know if I can help. ben
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 04:38 AM

Afraid I don't have much in the "actually helpful" category, but after visiting Oregon multiple times for work and for play, I'm a fan. As mentioned, no sales tax, a generally lower cost of living than CA (where I lived for 12 years) with a far less crowded feel to it. Besides the coast, the mountains, the beers, and Tillamook cheese, the eastern half of Oregon is a nearly undiscovered gem.

The only thing I would have some trouble coming to grips with is that, per OR state law, you cannot legally pump your own gasoline. I imagine that might be well down the list of factors if all other things (especially professional/career needs), come to the fore, but it still sticks in my craw. New Jersey has similar mandates, I think, but then again, the odds of me living in Oregon some day are infinitely higher than living in in NJ.

I wish you luck with your decision--the prospect of such a fresh start, while daunting, can also be very exciting.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 07:48 AM
Less is Better

LOL, I didn't realize people from California knew that everyone wanted them to stay in California
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 07:51 AM
Stilling doing God's work

Think you should go to Washington (Redmond) for tech jobs (and coffee). Or, NY, TX, IL.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 09:16 AM

I visited a friend in Portland recently. My first impression of the city was favorable.

One item that bugged me was that in Oregon you cannot pump your own gas. I worry about an attendant scratching the car.

If I do end up at a full service station anywhere else I usually ask the attendant if I can fill up myself and they are usually OK with that. In Oregon I grabbed the nozzle and started pumping my own gas even though the station said full service. The attendant came over and requested that I stop. I stalled him out with chit chat but he looked rather annoyed.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 10:09 AM

Garage
I think you'd find both Or and WA great places to live. Generally nice, educated (in cities) and relaxed. Heavy on rednecks outside of town tho. Prices are better certainly. You may have more tech oppotunities in the general Seattle / Puget Sound region. Some of my IT guys getting pink slips are easily finding jobs outside of Boeing. Boeing is outsourcing IT so leave that one. You may want to hunt down some of our microsofties in this forum too.

https://www.instagram.com/evoralightness/
2012 Lotus Evora - IPS, Nightfall Blue
2011 Jaguar XF-R - 550hp
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Overland, Hemi (The Anti-Lotus)

Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: Saab 9-3C, MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille, Triumph Daytona 955i
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 10:23 AM

Location: Chicago area w/1 foot out the door; Setting up in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by comptalk View Post
Think you should go to Washington (Redmond) for tech jobs (and coffee). Or, NY, TX, IL.
>>>>Or, NY, IL.
Uhmmmm, NO.
IL is a full on disaster in progress. NY has some financial challenges, a variety of political problems, and lingering infrastructure (post-Sandy) issues that could well translate back to financial problems.

Have to mostly agree on Grants Pass--was there last year --- really nice area. Not sure about winter weather --Dec-Jan temps dip into the 40's.

A friend of mine recently advised the benefits of living in Washinton state near the OR border --pay no state income tax in WA and shop in OR (no sales tax). Of course, if you work in OR, then the WA income tax benefit is lost.

jm (IL state motto: THROWING good money after bad, year in, year out)

The garage is... moving.
2007 CO Elise--in new hands--in STL
Toyota Tundra
1973 jet black Ford Mustang convertible...For Sale. Inq within.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 10:33 AM

Garage
"living in Washinton state near the OR border "
Yes, but, I have family down there. They absolutely do that but SW WA is not the best part of the state (unless you are an employed logger). Pretty depressed region. We joke a lot about Lewis county. Now, if you plan to get a trailer and work the meth angle... you are in the right spot.

https://www.instagram.com/evoralightness/
2012 Lotus Evora - IPS, Nightfall Blue
2011 Jaguar XF-R - 550hp
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Overland, Hemi (The Anti-Lotus)

Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: Saab 9-3C, MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille, Triumph Daytona 955i
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 12:58 PM

Whatever you do, stay away from Seattle. The housing market sucks, the weather sucks, and everybody drives like toddlers. STAY AWAY.

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 01:15 PM

Garage
That's the reason I moved from Los Angeles (Glendale/Montrose) to Phoenix. You can buy a nice home here for $300K (or less) and it would be about 5 to 15 years old vs. 50-60 years in Los Angeles. I believe the tech industry may still be strong here? But, there's not much in terms of nice driving roads unless you go about an hour out of the Phoenix area. Weather's hot in the summer but it's bearable (probably more so than very humid climates).

2005 Lotus Elise- SOLD 6/9/07
2011 Lotus Evora - SOLD 4/18/13
2011 Lotus Evora S - SOLD - 10/7/14
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS - SOLD 2/13/16
2016 Something else in red
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 01:15 PM

if you move to portland you had better bring an attractive girl with you....

its a kewl city.

anyways - an easier answer may be that you need a better real estate agent here in town.... drop me a note and i can point you to someone. i really love both the place i sold with the pininfarnia kitchen and "casa di velocita" place i just moved to.

fwiw - i am not really all the impressed with socal weather - i think its a bit of a crock! but i am enjoying it here. i have a number of friends in portland and travel there. and like seattle as well. but man... it make bay area weather look fantastic! ha!

look into DC as well - always an aggressive market for educated talent there.

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 01:17 PM

Paging Jacob....

2011 Final Edition S260 Isotope Green
2005 Track Elise LotusCupUSA
2008 211 FS
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Ticket Magnet

I also live in Grants Pass and can certainly echo all of 1TowMan's sentiments. Grants Pass has it's own micro-climate and the immediate area around here has awesome weather.
I frequently commute to Portland (NEVER seem to have time to make it to the weekly gathering) and have to echo the weather observations already mentioned above. Grew up in the Bay Area and any time other than July-August, Portland's weather make's S.F. look like heaven.
Of course there are two race tracks almost in the middle of town so that is a big plus - especially if you drive like Senna in the rain.
As to Crime - I am told that Portland has the highest number of strip clubs per capita than any other city in the U.S. and the medium rate crimes seem to follow it.
I am currently pondering relocating more Northerly and am looking at Cottage Grove, Eugene, and Corvallis areas. Closer to Portland without the rain. Check it out!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4Racin View Post
I also live in Grants Pass and can certainly echo all of 1TowMan's sentiments. Grants Pass has it's own micro-climate and the immediate area around here has awesome weather.
I frequently commute to Portland (NEVER seem to have time to make it to the weekly gathering) and have to echo the weather observations already mentioned above. Grew up in the Bay Area and any time other than July-August, Portland's weather make's S.F. look like heaven.
Of course there are two race tracks almost in the middle of town so that is a big plus - especially if you drive like Senna in the rain.
As to Crime - I am told that Portland has the highest number of strip clubs per capita than any other city in the U.S. and the medium rate crimes seem to follow it.
I am currently pondering relocating more Northerly and am looking at Cottage Grove, Eugene, and Corvallis areas. Closer to Portland without the rain. Check it out!
Thank you for the suggestions, gentlemen. I will have to check them out.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 03:03 AM

Rain in Eugene is pretty comparable to portland.

Edit, looks like Eugene gets more rain
http://average-rainfall-cities.findt...org/d/d/Oregon

Portland is a small big city. A mini sf or Seattle. Very walkable and live able. Way different from grants pass.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 04:36 PM

Having lived in Southern California (thousand Oaks)
Kirkland Washington
and now Vancouver WA AKA Portland....

I can say these things..
Redmond Washington, Bellevue, Kirkland is amazing place to live if you can tolerate the rain and high house prices, you will also be taxed like you live in CA...except no income tax (high property tax and sales tax.).
The area is gorgeous, extremely wealthy (Microsoft, Boeing, Costco, Amazon, Star bucks to name a few). Met my Fiancé up in Seattle.. Women are gorgeous...lots of blondes.

As soon you hit Tacoma...crime goes up. Poverty increases, people get ugly.. might be the meth as stated above. And it gets worse from there down.

I was forced to relocate by my company to Portland. I chose Vancouver WA because I work from home office and in the field.. I'm paid where I live. Oregon Taxes on income so I'm in Vancouver WA, do the math (yes I got best of both worlds).
downsides...
I pay extra where I live, east Fishers landing / Camas...west Vancouver gets rough.

Portland is alright...It's better and safer than LA could ever be but its no Seattle.

I suggest living in Tigard / Beaverton OR or the Pearl District for nice places.

Portland's just so industrial.....

Personally... I just want to get relocated again. Portland isn't really for me... I had a better time in Seattle Area.

I want to live in San Diego....so bad... work my way back down the coast.

Last edited by Snake Eyes; 08-29-2013 at 04:49 PM.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Craig View Post
I visited a friend in Portland recently. My first impression of the city was favorable.

One item that bugged me was that in Oregon you cannot pump your own gas. I worry about an attendant scratching the car.

If I do end up at a full service station anywhere else I usually ask the attendant if I can fill up myself and they are usually OK with that. In Oregon I grabbed the nozzle and started pumping my own gas even though the station said full service. The attendant came over and requested that I stop. I stalled him out with chit chat but he looked rather annoyed.
On your gas topic...

I fill up in Vancouver only and than drive into Portland with the Lotus..For the very reasons you make.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 06:24 PM

An Englishman I know who spent decades living in the Minneapolis area retired and did some research on a place where he could drive his Lotus and Jag year-round. Decided the best weather was in Roseburg Oregon, and moved there.

I didn't visit him when we went through there in 2009 since
We were behind schedule for camping at Diamond Lake
I needed to buy a real camera for Crater Lake
The maps and satellite photos made it look like there was no way in hell I was going to get into and out of his neighborhood with the rig we were driving.

Spoke to him on the phone. He says he was right about the weather.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White.
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C
http://www.mnautox.com
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 04:23 PM

Are there any good driving roads in the area?

05 Elise, Chrome Orange
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Northwest Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in