Sad day :( No more Elise - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Sad day :( No more Elise

Well last week I had an accident in my Lotus Elise... it was completely my fault and thankfully there were no other cars around and I didnt have a passenger.
I dont want to get into details but speed/alchohol wasnt a factor, it was late at night and I ended up going off the road, into the ditch and through a fence
The car is totaled in my opinion... I am awaiting my insurance company to confirm it though.
I owned the Elise for 2.5 years and bought it off of a LT forum member that lived near me. I loved the car, I ended up driving it so much I got rid of my other vehicles and drove it almost every single day but I kept a flagship big body luxury sedan for the times when I needed to stretch out.
I put 40k miles on the Elise in the 2.5 years I owned it and enjoyed every mile, it was a fantastic and fun car. I had just mounted a brand new set of Yokohama A048 tires and EBC dimpled/slotted rotors and YellowStuff brake pads along with maintenance such as oil and air filter...

Now that my favorite car is gone I am looking at replacing it, I might buy it back but I really doubt it.
I went up to Park Place and checked out some Evora's because they are the only car that attracts me. I have read so much stuff on here about little issues and major issues like the clutch that it kind of scares me away, I can't pay $60k for a car that will need $10k in repairs the following year. Any local Evora owners want to chime in and share their experience with their Evora?

Here are some pics of my poor Lotus Elise....
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 01:11 AM

Man that is rough to look at. Glad you are okay. Fairly obvious, but it looks rather totaled to me... People often post something that looks like a small crack and the insurance company will total it.

I would post Q's on the Evora forums. The Elise has it's quirks but it is pretty reliable comparatively. The Evora issues might be limited to certain years.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 01:48 AM

That is done, go new.

Your not hurt, %&*# happens, chalk it up life.

P.S. I am salivating over your right rear marker light.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 02:20 AM

I think those General tires on the rear contributed greatly to this incident. Especially if the fronts are brand new Yokos.
Sorry to hear this, good thing you're still walking and talking. Your windshield would have suggested otherwise!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 02:26 AM

Good to hear that you walked away. Don't buy it back. It's total totaled. Post VIN once insurance claim is processed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 02:38 AM

I'd say 40k miles on an Elise is several lifetimes of Elise driving for many if not most. Well done. As long as you're OK and unharmed all good.

I went from an Elise to an Evora and the DNA makes it through the transition. It's 95% as crazy and raw, but somehow manages to introduce just enough comfort and fit and finish to make it an attractive and comfortable daily driver. Many on the forum will tell you it outperforms the elige on the track but the truth is, its just not exactly as visceral. The Evora is definitely worth a look for you, and forget about those clutch stories. Its been discussed to death and it seems it was an early problem that's been sorted now. If you're that spooked go with an IPS, which is loads of fun and fairly well executed.

As a final endorsement of the Evora, consider this: I cross shopped it with a C6 vette, Aston martin vantage, Porsche 911, boxster spyder, even the new F Type, and wound up going for the Evora without question. That's how good the package is.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 03:38 AM
anglophile in exile

Great to hear you are OK!!!

Sorry to see your Elise in that state...

Looking at it it is pretty clearly an economic write-off... that said there doesn't seem to be chassis damage so it is technically repairable
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 03:58 AM

Holy sh*t! Glad that you are ok!

On that note, it's really incredible to see one of these cars in an accident...that tub is amazing...and thankfully, probably why drivers can post the pics the next day...

2007 Elise - starlight black, biscuit
1967 Sunbeam Alpine SV - mediterranean blue, black
1985 Porsche 928S - Guards Red, black, manual
2004 X-type - manual, white onyx, champagne, 2 kid seats.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 04:38 AM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MD View Post
I think those General tires on the rear contributed greatly to this incident. Especially if the fronts are brand new Yokos.
Sorry to hear this, good thing you're still walking and talking. Your windshield would have suggested otherwise!
First of all glad you're ok. It's just a car.

I agree with MD with not ever mixing front/rear combos like that but my GENERAL UHP's have been exemplary over the past 5-1/2 years. Awesome handling, great rain/snow (!) traction and you can't beat the $/life ratio.

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1735lbs.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 07:34 AM

Garage
Exactly, holy sh!t.....it's good to be vertical though! Best of luck with the insurance company and next Lotus adventure.

Modded but still NA!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 08:18 AM
Such moderate

Garage
Ouch!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 08:45 AM

Ugh, bet that stings like a 5lb wasp right now, but you'll feel better and move on! We all make mistakes. I bet you'll be thrilled in an Evora. Used ones are ridiculously cheap for what you get...

-Jerry
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 11:43 AM

Glad your OK Derek, you will take me for a ride in your new Evora right? And don't forget I will test drive any down here in Portland that you need me to :-)

2005 Lotus Elise - Laser Blue - SOLD
2005 Lamborghini Gallardo - Weekend Car
2010 Ferrari California
2016 BMW X5M - Wifemobile
2014 Ram 1500 Limited - Tow Vehicle
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 08:04 PM

Damn, I'm sorry to see this happened to you. The car looks pretty messed up, so getting a new one may be a better way to go. Regarding Evora, I'm an owner local to your area, and yo whassup according to Korntera your name is Derek, I'm Derek too! Anyway, I have a 2012 NA IPS and drive it everyday, and I f-ing love it. There are some minor issues like:
1. Why does my wiper blade rubber always wear out so quickly?
2. Why does my car engine always start weak on a cold start when it's only been left overnight? According to Brian, it is "normal" from Lotus.
3. Car feels a little heavy with the stock exhaust.
4. I've been to Park Place a couple of times just to fix some CEL issues and other stuff.

But other than those, nothing life-threatening, and what's left is just pure enjoyment! I've owned the car for over a year now and man everyday after I park I still look back and check it out like a dog staring at a shiny bone!

I don't think you'll need $10k to repair an Evora after owning it for a year, because 1) at least I haven't needed to do it, and 2) all the small issues will be covered by the warranty anyway and Brian will be able to help you out with those. You'll probably spend some money modding it though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Northwest Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in