WA Insurance and HPDE - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

WA Insurance and HPDE

Hey guys,

My wife and I just went under contract on a house, so I am shopping for a new insurance agent. I currently have Geico, and am satisfied with them, but they do not offer home insurance in WA.

One major concern for me is track day coverage. I do not do any racing, nor plan to anytime soon, so the verbiage in my Geico policy excluding "participation in or preparing for any racing, speed, or demolition contest or stunting activity" should not affect track days for me.

I know many companies have now switched to an exclusion of any operation on a race track regardless of activity, but I can't find these details online.

So my question is, for people in WA, does anyone have a company that still covers HPDEs that they are happy with?

Thanks,
Pat

EDIT: Before someone mentions it, I am aware of Lockton and all the other track specific policies, but since I already pay for the normal insurance anyway, I would rather find a company that still covers it on their road policy, and avoid the hassle of an extra expense and more paperwork every time I feel like doing a track day.

Pat Wildfire

06 Elise
02 Triumph 955i
93 Mazda RX7 3 rotor
09 Mini Clubman
14 Mercedes GLK250
99 Mygale FC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Less is Better

Travelers covered me. As long as the events aren't timed, they can be considered driver's ed., which in reality, they are.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 11:47 AM

Geico is cheap and grudgingly paid out for my wreck on track (same wording as your contract). Then they dropped me. It's been worth it though. It comes down to how much you value service. Geico is cheap because they are terrible to deal with. But they are probably unbeatably cheap.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 08:32 AM

I called state farm and they said they specifically would not cover any on track events, I am thinking of switching and will be calling travelers now that i know that, but I too would be interested in other options.

2005 Lotus Elise - Laser Blue - SOLD
2005 Lamborghini Gallardo - Weekend Car
2010 Ferrari California
2016 BMW X5M - Wifemobile
2014 Ram 1500 Limited - Tow Vehicle
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korntera View Post
I called state farm and they said they specifically would not cover any on track events, I am thinking of switching and will be calling travelers now that i know that, but I too would be interested in other options.
ON A TRACK DESIGNED PRIMARILY FOR RACING OR HIGH SPEED DRIVING. This exclusion does not apply if the vehicle is being used in connection with an activity other than racing, high speed driving, or any type of competitive driving.

This is the language in the State Farm policy. The gray area is whether a HPDE is a high speed driving event or a driver education event. I beleive an arguement can be made that because it is not timed or competive in any way it is an driver ed event. Obviously racing is racing, and by timing the outcome would suggest that driving fast is the intended purpose.

However an HPDE event is about learning to drive your car more precisely. My guess would be if you are Group 1 or 2 driver that includes an instructor you have a better arguement than if you Group 3 or 4 which is typically running with Purpose built track cars.

Not sure the claims adjuster would agree.

brake!brake! BRAKE!! Ross Bently
1971 Austin Mini Cooper
2013 Mini Cooper Countryman S ALL4
2008 Acura MDX
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 11:01 AM
He's on fire!

Would you really want to have to lawyer up to find out after they rejected your claim? I'd rather just pay for track insurance up front and not have to bother finding out what my claims adjuster thinks. The hassle really is minimal, it takes me less than 10 minutes to sign up for an event. Therefore the only qualm is the cost. Make sure you read the entire policy every 6 months, it would be bad to have an off and find yourself not covered because they changed the policy a few months ago.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

^ They have to notify you if they change the policy terms. All you have to do is read the documents they send with your new insurance cards.

I am going to get a quote from Country today, which was recommended by my neighbor. I got the agent to send me a sample policy, and it says: "while preparing for or participating in any prearranged race, competitive speed or pulling activity".

Pat Wildfire

06 Elise
02 Triumph 955i
93 Mazda RX7 3 rotor
09 Mini Clubman
14 Mercedes GLK250
99 Mygale FC
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Less is Better

I just had the agent review my policy and send me an email stating that I would be covered for high performance driving events with the yada yada conditions...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93viperrt10 View Post
ON A TRACK DESIGNED PRIMARILY FOR RACING OR HIGH SPEED DRIVING. This exclusion does not apply if the vehicle is being used in connection with an activity other than racing, high speed driving, or any type of competitive driving.

This is the language in the State Farm policy. The gray area is whether a HPDE is a high speed driving event or a driver education event. I beleive an arguement can be made that because it is not timed or competive in any way it is an driver ed event. Obviously racing is racing, and by timing the outcome would suggest that driving fast is the intended purpose.

However an HPDE event is about learning to drive your car more precisely. My guess would be if you are Group 1 or 2 driver that includes an instructor you have a better arguement than if you Group 3 or 4 which is typically running with Purpose built track cars.

Not sure the claims adjuster would agree.
Every track day I have done I hit over 100 so I think that constitutes high speed driving on a racetrack and I will trust my agent when he says I'm not covered.

2005 Lotus Elise - Laser Blue - SOLD
2005 Lamborghini Gallardo - Weekend Car
2010 Ferrari California
2016 BMW X5M - Wifemobile
2014 Ram 1500 Limited - Tow Vehicle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Northwest Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in