Which Evora is right for me? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Which Evora is right for me?

So in my ever increasing search for knowledge, I'm hoping for some input from the community on this.

At this point, I have my mind set on an Evora vs an Elise/Exige. The question however, is whether to go with an NA or S model.

A little bit about my background to elaborate from my original 'Hi' thread-

My first car was a four-banger Neon. My second was a toyota corolla wagon and my current one is a subaru wagon ('07). This is the car I've been driving since bought new. My only experience with driving a sports car was my uncle's 95 3000GT (maybe 100 miles-ish) and a few various others from test drives lasting a few minutes (370z, BRZ/FRS, older Z06, and a porsche). So in reality, pretty much no long-term experience with a sports car--let alone a car with some decent power.

The Evora is to finally be a treat to myself for finally having a really stable life (10 years at job and marriage, nice house, etc). It's my way of congratulating myself on "You've made it!" to be what I've considered to be successful.

I plan to use the Evora as a daily, and if I do track it, it may be 1-3 times in it's lifetime (because hey, we all want to see what our cars can do once in awhile), but I'm not a track-goer. Prior to stumbling upon Lotus, I had seriously considered a BRZ/FRS as my next car, so that's really my only 'serious' comparison.

Here's what I'm currently thinking of when it comes to the two versions

S version over NA
----
More power
Marginal price increase (an extra 8-10k when you're already spending 50k+ isn't that bad) but a price increase is still a price increase
While altitude affects all vehicles, having the extra power helps offset that
Cheaper to buy an S than get an NA and decide to eventually tack on a super charger
Better resale value (if I ever decide to let it go)

NA version over S
----
Less money
Earlier model years available (2010s available) to help lower cost if that really is an issue
As I have no experience with fast cars or sports cars in general, I won't really know the difference, nor would I be able to tell if I did drive the two side-by-side
Slight gas mileage increase
If I do track the vehicles, I wouldn't be able to take full advantage of the power that the NA offers due to being a novice, so an S would just be overkill in comparison

I think I'm leaning towards the NA, but it feels to me that most of my reasons for having an NA over an S just feel like justifications to myself on not spending the extra money for the power. But at the same time, the cost is a very cheap upgrade for power all things considered.

Now, the reason why I'm asking here rather than the main Evora forum: How do these two versions of the car compare with respect to altitude? I know you get power loss the higher you go, and being a mile above sea level should show some decent power loss. With respect to now knowing a bit about me and how I plan to treat the vehicle, should I go for an NA or an S model? I'd appreciate some input for those who know more about driving both at similar altitudes.

P.S. Sorry, I can't seem to not write a book whenever I post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 11:44 AM

Either way, you win.

Its really a question of $$$ or power.
If you are (mostly) a mellow driver, happy to go with the flow of traffic, enjoy the scenery more than driving experience (dang, missed that apex, I wounder if she would mind if I turned around and tried it again) when you drive that twisty mountain road, and are happy with a car that is faster/quicker than 80% the cars you see each day, I bet the NA would be a great solution for you. Plenty fast for street legal, mature (you did say you were married for 10 years), responsible driving.

If you get a guilty pleasure about seeing your advisories behind you, enjoy the driving experience more than the scenery (oh yes dear, the fall colors are pretty) and generally want to be faster/quicker than 95% of the cars you will see each day, the S is the solution for you.

Again, you win either way.

I am in Denver also, let me know what you get. Would love to see it!

Apexes are a lot like relationships. So tough to get right, so easy to see where they went wrong.

The secret to a long life is ------- not dying.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 12:04 PM

Garage
Usually, the question is how much power do you want. It's not a matter of need. Then again, no one needs to buy a sports car either.

However, being in Denver, I'm curious how the elevation effects performance in general. (I have a brother there but have never been there). I guess you have to factor power for climbing as well?

2005 Lotus Elise- SOLD 6/9/07
2011 Lotus Evora - SOLD 4/18/13
2011 Lotus Evora S - SOLD - 10/7/14
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS - SOLD 2/13/16
2016 Something else in red

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
However, being in Denver, I'm curious how the elevation effects performance in general. (I have a brother there but have never been there). I guess you have to factor power for climbing as well?
Driving in Denver, you only miss the power when you go to the lowlands and are reminded how great the car runs at very low elevations. (Sort of like noticing in mid August how your car ran betting in AZ when it was 70deg, not 110deg)

Now I can easily double my elevation in under an hour. Give me two hours and I can almost triple it. (For kicks one day I went from Denver (5280ish) to Mt Evens (14,000ish) back down to 5500ish to get from Mt Evens to Pikes Peak (14,100ish) in one day (Approx 34,000ft of total elevation change about 12 hrs, in an Elise) At 14,000, even with F/I, you sort of notice a bit of power loss.

Apexes are a lot like relationships. So tough to get right, so easy to see where they went wrong.

The secret to a long life is ------- not dying.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 03:51 PM

Garage
For me, it came down to finding the car with all the interior options that I wanted and being in the right color combination. I bought my Evora new and the S was a bit more than I wanted to spend. Like you, I wondered if I would want the S for the extra power. Then I test drove an NA. Before I drove the car, though, the salesman wanted to show me what it could do. What a ride! The acceleration was enough to take my breath away and the brakes and steering blew my mind. I loved the car I eventually bought from that point forward. To be honest, I've still never ridden in an S, but for my purposes I don't think I would ever need it.

If I ever really felt the itch to get into racing on a track, yeah, the S is the way to go. In that case, I'd sell mine and buy a stock S rather than modifying an NA, but that's me. I'm much more of a pleasure driver and use mine only for sunny day fun trips. Being the fastest guy on the road isn't why I bought the car. I'll let some GTR hold that title.

Since you plan on using the Evora as a DD, I would suggest going with the NA, if for nothing more than to reduce maintanance. A supercharger will eventually need repairs and/or to be rebuilt at some point, and for me just adds complexity under the hood. And I have no data to back this claim up, but I would imagine with higher pressure in the engine, an S would reach end of useful life faster than an NA if you're looking to keep the car forever.

For resale value, I don't see much of a difference between an S and NA when looking at private party sales. Even on dealer lots with new cars, I can find a 2014 S new right now for less than I paid for my 2013 NA. The S may help sell the car in the future, but I'm not sure it will increase the asking price by much.

With concerns on elevation, I'm not going to be much help here, since Wisconsin is pretty low and relatively flat. When I took the Evora to the Tail of the Dragon last year, she may have been down a pony or two, but I didn't really notice.

My verdict: if you have two cars with the same options, color and price with one being S and the other NA, I would go for the S. If you have to pay any premium for the S, the NA will keep you smiling every day on the way to work. Let us know what you end up with! And don't forget to post pictures

2013 Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
2016 BMW 328xi - Estoril Blue
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 04:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_porsche View Post
.... (Sort of like noticing in mid August how your car ran betting in AZ when it was 70deg, not 110deg)
Now, I can relate to that.

2005 Lotus Elise- SOLD 6/9/07
2011 Lotus Evora - SOLD 4/18/13
2011 Lotus Evora S - SOLD - 10/7/14
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS - SOLD 2/13/16
2016 Something else in red
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 09:41 PM

Don't buy one. The way the morons drive in CO, especially Denver, you will end up wrecking it. Buy a big truck.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 01:57 AM

My 2c, buy the NA, if you've not use to having a sports car of this calibre you'll absolutely love it. In comparison to your previous cars it will be awesome. But after that love fades a bit, and you want something more, sell and move up to the S. Sorted of climbing the ladder if you will, if you start higher up getting more becomes an expensive spiral of diminishing returns (In terms of modifying).

'14 Honda Fit RS
'09 Elise SC
'08 CBR600RR
'84 CR-X Ballade Sports Turbo
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpilot View Post
Don't buy one. The way the morons drive in CO, especially Denver, you will end up wrecking it. Buy a big truck.
Ouch! can they be that much better in 'Bama?!

Lotus S4 Turbo
Evora
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the input and you've helped me make up my mind.

I'll go with an NA unless an S happens for nearly the same price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpilot View Post
This frightens me. Colorado had the worst car insurance rates in the country for awhile there because of this. When I was going to college downtown, I always had 1-3 near-collisions each day. But thankfully I've never had a car accident (knock on wood!).
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 04:01 PM

To the OP, I have an NA. I find it's plenty. I came from an Audi S4 which was way quicker on the straights, but the Evora feels way more planted and composed. Also builds speed really smoothly with a good amount of engine growl (although I understand you have to work the gears more than an S). It's really great as is, and in Canada the S was a prohibitive 25k more, which I couldn't justify for a bit more thrust and a better top speed.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 11:06 PM
MY11 Evora S

I appreciate the discussion about S versus NA. remember it isn't just about the power. The S has had suspension changes and upgrades the NA doesn't. So upgrading later from an NA with bolting on parts like a supercharger is not equivalent.

Ultimately you will love either car. But if you can afford the S, you really should.

Final note, more important is probably get a car MY 12 or better. Just so many things have been updated. Will save you headache and expense later.

Daily Driven Lotus - formerly 2011 Evora S, then 2017 Evora 400. Now with 2014 Smart E-Drive
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMagus View Post
Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the input and you've helped me make up my mind.

I'll go with an NA unless an S happens for nearly the same price.

This frightens me. Colorado had the worst car insurance rates in the country for awhile there because of this. When I was going to college downtown, I always had 1-3 near-collisions each day. But thankfully I've never had a car accident (knock on wood!).
Lived in the Springs for a few years and commuted to Denver for booty calls, destroyed every car I owned there.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Rocky Mountain Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in