The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Foreign Elise coming through your area

4K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  waelsie 
#1 ·
I have ben chatting to some of you in other threads, but thought I would put somothing in here as well. Dates slowly seem to be firming up for my trip, so I thought it was time to give you a heads up in case there are any Lotus gatherings going on while I am in your area.
My car is currently in Korea (I guess they are loading Kias and Hyundais !), then to Japan (to load Hondas and Toyotas ?) before arrving in LA on 1st March. Should be leaving N California on about 20th March, which would mean I would be out in Colorado by about 26th or 27th March, and then up through Wyoming and back west to Seattle by early / mid April.
So if any of you have formal monthly meetings around that time, I would love to join you, but if it is just an infomal meeting and people have a beer and a chat, that is fine too. Can also give you a short slide show about my car and the trip if any one was interested !!
If you are interested, I have started a blog abut my trip here Australia to Alaska in My Lotus Elise
Cheers, Giles

#2 ·
Giles.

I see some good karma going here. The LOCO (Lotus Colorado) meeting is the last Tuesday of the month each month. That should be 3/27. Thats cutting it a little tight, but I would love to invite you to the meeting!

Otherwise I will rally the cars for a something that fits your schedule.

If we can delay/keep you until 4/3 (that Saturday) we have a Cars and Coffee just north of Denver that attracts some great cars. I guarantee your car and you would be a hit.

Keep me posted and we will make you feel welcome somehow.

Doug

#5 ·
Looks like I am at Laguna Seca on weekend of 10/11 March :))), and Golden Gate Lotus monthly meeting on 16th March. That would give me 11 days to drive from San Francisco to Colorado. In a Lotus ?? With good music ? I don't think that will be a problem do you ? rotfl Where is the monthly meeting held, Doug ? As long as I can find it on my Tom Tom, I can get there !!!
Dever meeting also an option - All depends on the weather !! If you can arrange 20 deg C and clear blue skies for March / April, I would appreciate it !! I am in the middle of my summer down here - 30 deg C every day ! Here is a photo taken this morning at 7 am on my morning kayak on the canals around my house (Hey, I am trying to get fit for my trip, and for someone my age, that is not easy !!)

Jeez I am getting excited !!!!

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
Danny, dates are not precise - Depends how heavy my foot feels each morning !!!!!! Depends whether I drive up through Whistler and Kamloops, or I choose to come up through Vancouver Island and catch the ferry to Prince Rupert, but either way, if I leave Anacortes on about 1st May or slightly before, I would be up your way in the second week of May. Roughly. I refuse to set deadlines - that would spoil the trip !!! I have worked in the oilfield for over 40 years and I am sick of deadlines !!!!! If you get my drift ! I have been known to do 1000 miles a day, and other days I have done about 2 because I met an interesting guy over the breakfast table !!
How about "sometime in early May" - Is that good enough !!!! If I come up through Vancouver Island I was going to turn left at Kitwanga and go up the Cassiar Hiway, but if you are there, and have a cold beer, I promise I will detour about 250 miles (one way) to find you !! As long as the roads are good and the beer is cold !! What is that Route 16 like to drive ????

Giles
PS pm me a phone number Danny so I can call you with an update. I will not have a US number until I arrive in LA.

#7 ·
Giles.

The LOCO meeting will be at Mimi’s Cafe, 9155 Park Meadows, Lone Tree, CO 80124-6712. My Garmin can find it so I am sure your Tom Tom can.

As for the weather; April in Colorado has a typical forecast of 70 Deg F (21C) with a 70% chance of snow.

The cars and coffee is further north of Denver (Colo Springs is south of Denver). by about 150Km. But it can be all interstate if you want.

2770 Dagny Way Lafayette, CO

#8 ·
Question - Denver meeting you say is on "4/3" and you say that is a saturday. To avoid confusion, I believe that is the 3rd April, right ? But 3rd April on my calendar is a Tuesday ??

I know you write your dates backwards just to confuse everyone else in the world, but this makes it sound as if you also cal your days of the week different too !! Rofl !

Can you confirm date and day of Colorado meeting ? Also, what time at MiMi's Cafe on the 27th ?

Giles

#9 ·
Sorry.

The Lotus Colorado Meeting is on March 27th , (Last Tuesday of each month) @ 6:00PM MST @ MiMi's Cafe.
The Cars and Coffee is on the fist Saturday of the month, (which in this case would be April 7th) and is at 2770 Dagny Way Lafayette, CO (ok technically its across the street from 2770 Dagny Way but this address will show up on your Tom Tom).

Sorry for the confusion. I will PM you my number and we can get this straight when you are in Colorado, or if you need anything while in Colorado)

#10 ·
Arrived Laguna Seca today after a magical 3 days of sucnshine driving up hwy 1 up the coast. Loved it.
Few more days of Californai weather before I head east into the cold, although it was below frezing camping in Big Sur the last couple of nights !!
Please all turn your hair dryers on to help melt the snow !!!
Giles

#11 ·
If you make it to Phoenix Arizona

Shoot me a pm!

#12 ·
Sorry Andy, Arizona not currently on my planned route. I know it is worth seeing, but I just can't go everywhere - And the target is Alaska so I trying very hard to keep heading in a northerly direction !!!
No offense intended by not coming your way.
Giles

#13 ·
Sunday 18th. Leaving San Francisco this morning and moseying down to Bakersfield / Death Valley / Vegas. Not sure how long I will take - depends on weather. Might go hiking / cycling for a day or two if I see somewhere nice. But am now heading in your direction anyway !!
See you soon. Please keepyour hairdryers on !!!
Giles

#14 ·
If you love deserts, American folklore, or just plain interesting geology, Death Valley is an interesting place.
Say hi to Death Valley Scotty.
Death Valley National Park - Scotty's Castle (U.S. National Park Service)

Ya got to visit Badwater, in Death Valley, just to say you have seen the lowest of the low in America.

Keep us posted, looking forward to buying you dinner!

#17 ·
Thanks Glen...

Just read through that --- and if I am not mistaken it still doesn't clarify. These steps seem to outline what is needed to legally transport and have the car here - but I still don't know it can legally be driven.

I get some points, like the international drivers license, getting insurance in the country driven - but what about plates and the variances in required equipment. For instance, some states allow your windows to be tinted - some do not. If I come from a state that does, I am pretty sure that doesn't exempt me when I get to a state that doesn't. I have known people where state patrol actually made them remove the film from their cars or else the car was towed and impounded. You have to have plates (we all do) to drive on public roads - I would be surprised if Austrailian plates are legal. Then the car...remember how a few people imported the Porsche 959 but even they cant drive them on the roads (perhaps they can now because of the amount of time but that wouldn't apply to an Elise). There are imported S1 Elises here and they can only be used on a track. Why can someone from another country bring theirs and drive on the street???

I'm not against this happening - I'm just trying to understand and make sure the OP doesn't do all this for no reason.

#18 ·
VISHUS

Aussie plates are legal here. He is an AUssie resident and is able to keep his car and drive on AUSSIE plates here for a year legally. I have personally done this previously as well. It isn't an issue. I don't have the copy of the laws but it is legal.

GIles has the laws printed and with him in his dashboard...so if he gets pulled over by cops who don't know the law, he can show them.

Nonconforming motor vehicles may be temporarily imported into the U.S. by a
nonresident for personal use by the importer for a period not to exceed one year.

Only individual nonresidents may import a vehicle through a nonresident exemption.• Vehicle may not be sold or otherwise transferred to another party in the U.S.;
• Vehicle must be used solely for personal use by the importer and members of the
importer’s immediate family while in the U.S.;
• Exemption is voided if the vehicle is either used for commercial purposes, or used
principally by any person other than the importer (or spouse of the importer); and
Vehicle must be exported after one year, or upon the nonresident departing the U.S.,
whichever comes first.

Lots of (not going to mention race here) xxxx people in FL and CA use this non resident status to keep cars here "export it" and bring it back year after year....thus driving certain cars that are not available in the US

#19 ·
There's also a one-year exemption for non-conforming vehicles to be driven on public roads by manufacturers for development or demonstration purposes.

I've seen foreign plates all over the US and certainly up here in Alaska - all operated without hassle. Some of them are military personnel that have just transferred back from overseas, others are tourists.

Glen

#20 ·
As detailed above !! I am allowed it here for one year as long as I am a tourist and non resident. I have to take it out after one year (or 364 1/2 days !!), even if I wreck it, I have to take the pieces out !!

It is no different than an American driving his car to Mexico. Or a Brit to Germany or France, or a Frenchman to England. I just happen to be an Australian in America.
Giles

#21 ·
Thanks - as I said, I just was mostly concerned for you.

Lotuscupcar's explanation covers it - particularly the part
"Only individual nonresidents may import a vehicle through a nonresident exemption.• "
- - - this is why US citizens are getting grey market vehicles confiscated because we simply aren't able to drive such cars.

Interesting and odd loop hole.

Have a safe trip Waelsie and good luck.

#22 ·
Not a loop hole in the slightest. Just because you Americans don't often take your cars overseas, you think it is "odd" or illegal. But in Europe or Asia or Africa (ie the rest of the world !!!!) where people drive their cars into different countries every day, it is just the way business is done - the visitor may drive his car in the foreign country as long as he remains a visitor. If he stops being a visitor (like he becomes resident) then he has to register his car locally, and to do that the car has to conform to local regulations just the same as it does in the US. I do not find it odd at all.

#23 ·
OK. Leaving Vegas Fri am 23rd. Going to Zion NP and around a scenic drive near there for a couple of days, then to Colorado on 25th and probably get into Colrodao Springs on 26th. How long does it take me to get from Colorado Springs to MiMis Cafe or wherever it is for the meeting at 6 pm on the 27th ? Remember I have to get up Pikes Peak first !!!
Giles

#25 ·
Colorado Springs

Hi Giles!

I'm also a member of LOCO -- and live here in the 'Springs. I've been following your travels off and on --- and depending upon your availability and (unfortunately) my work schedule, we could meet-up for a "cold frostie -- or two.

There's a world-class PUB at the Broadmoor; called the Golden Bee -- (basically at the foot of Pike's Peak) that has some GREAT draft beer! But please, don't go out of your way -- ('cause my schedule is iffy) -- but, if you find yourself "thirsty" one evening -- I'd happily buy 'ya a yard!

Just post your projected arrival date / time -- and I'll try to swing across town. And if we don't get that beer -- have a GREAT TRIP!

v/r,
Tom

#26 ·
Tom, I arrived here tonight (Monday) after 10 hours in the saddle. Staying in the Country Lodge in Woodland Park for the night. After a leaisurely breakfast in morning I shall be going up Pikes Peak, then moseying up to Mimi's for the meeting at 6 pm. If you want to meet for lunch tomorrow, after I come down from the hill, let me know. I will pm you my cell phone number
Giles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.