Lotus Track Day, HPR July 8th - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
ERP

Lotus Track Day, HPR July 8th

Anyone else attending the Lotus track day at High Plains on July 8th?

Lotus Track Days

2006 Chrome Orange Elise - 6.3 lbs/hp - MP-62 Supercharger, 3.2" Pulley, BOE Fast-Works Tune, Ported Head, MWR Stage 3 Cams, Penske Suspension, Cup Air Box, PPE Header with Catless Custom Twin Tip Exhaust, Fidanza Flywheel, ACT Clutch, MWR Water Pump + Alternator Pulley, 1900 lbs
Saab Turbo X, 415hp, 532 tq
Tesla S P85D - Wife's daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 07:47 AM

I was not going to drive, dang tire budget, but was going to go out and watch.

Apexes are a lot like relationships. So tough to get right, so easy to see where they went wrong.

The secret to a long life is ------- not dying.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:48 AM

I will be there. Got my confirmation email the other day.

My 16 year old son will be coming with me. But I can't talk him into driving "the support vehicle" so I'll be on my cheapo street tires again. He'd rather sleep on the drive to and from the track than bring out wheels and tools for me. Teenagers. He says I should get a trailer like Ross.

I wonder what kind of turnout we'll get. As of last Tuesday evening, there were only something like 15 entrants.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
ERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunschev View Post
I will be there. Got my confirmation email the other day.
Grunschev - Can you PM me that email address? I need to contact them. All the info from the Lotus club said the deadline to register was Friday the 6th. I just mailed my registration today and the CECA forms said the deadline was the 2nd. I'm not sure if I will be allowed in. They wont get my check until the 5th.

2006 Chrome Orange Elise - 6.3 lbs/hp - MP-62 Supercharger, 3.2" Pulley, BOE Fast-Works Tune, Ported Head, MWR Stage 3 Cams, Penske Suspension, Cup Air Box, PPE Header with Catless Custom Twin Tip Exhaust, Fidanza Flywheel, ACT Clutch, MWR Water Pump + Alternator Pulley, 1900 lbs
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Absolute power does what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERP View Post
Grunschev - Can you PM me that email address? I need to contact them. All the info from the Lotus club said the deadline to register was Friday the 6th. I just mailed my registration today and the CECA forms said the deadline was the 2nd. I'm not sure if I will be allowed in. They wont get my check until the 5th.
I'd be SHOCKED if they don't let you run - I'm guessing they need all the registrations they can get. Currently I'm planning on doing Friday open lapping and Saturday with the Z club. NASA is running Pueblo this weekend so I may actually switch and go down for that.

And remember Sunday isn't the Lotus club - it's CECA. I hear they are better but the worse track day I've ever attended was with them so I've avoided them for the past 2 seasons. I suppose if I hit HPR Fri/Sat I should just make it the trifecta and see how they are on Sunday.

I'd also love that email address so I can drop them a note about late registrations.

And Grunschev he's right - get a trailer setup as I love mine! Just totally rebuilt/designed it - going to paint her tomorrow. Daisy and I will see you guys there!

-Ross

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
ERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscarlson View Post
I suppose if I hit HPR Fri/Sat I should just make it the trifecta and see how they are on Sunday.
You should come on Sunday. It will be fun if Lotus can dominate the event.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:50 PM

ERP, Ross, check your private messages.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 08:23 AM

I'll be out there on Sunday, add 1 to the Lotus count
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
ERP

Thanks Grunschev, I got confirmation last night so I will be on the track on Sunday.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 06:34 AM

I was a bit concerned when I woke up at 4am and it was still raining quite heavily but by the time I hit the road the rain had stopped and before I'd made it half way to the track the roads were nearly dry. The morning was cool and overcast was heavy, but by the end of the day sunscreen was necessary as the clouds broke up and wandered towards Kansas.

The event was limited to 60 cars. I didn't hear a final count, but I'd guess there weren't more than 45 there. We had 8 Lotuses. Not the best turnout for a "club" event, but probably as many as could be expected given the rules - no Elans (roll bar required) and no open wheel cars. The 8 cars were 1 Evora and the rest Eliges.

Rules were no passing without a point by and only in the usual three places. This was not a problem all day, except in the first session where a badly smoking Mustang kept us touring behind him for two laps. People were so quick to point me by, I'm now wondering if I was too slow to let others pass.

Last time at HPR I ran six sessions then promptly ran out of fuel upon leaving the property. This time it was just four sessions and the gas gauge showed one bar. Until going up the hill on US 36 where it went to nothing. A few miles down the road I was done. How did I do six sessions last time and only four this time? I haven't counted up the laps yet (gotta go to the video tape to count the laps).

I'd been bragging that my GoPro mounts rock-solid. I put it in a different spot for each of the four sessions. I'm disappointed to report that two of spots had too much vibration. The camera was good up to 70 or 80mph but above that mostly unwatchable. One mount location I'd only tried on public roads but the other I'd used at the track before without issue.

In the first session, I arranged to grid up behind Jason so we could get a nice video of him, but that was on of the sub-optimal mounts. I haven't gone through all the footage yet, but here's a lap that came out pretty well. This is from the adhesive mount low on the front of the car.

HPR 8 July 2012 - Blue Stingray - YouTube
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Absolute power does what?

Good write up Grunschev, thanks.

As for your fuel questions it's simply a function of track time, not really sessions. I average about 1 gallon/10 minutes (or so) when I'm out - with a session generally 25 minutes that's about 2.5 gals a session. So 4 sessions and you're near empty - as you say.

One thing to be careful about is the fuel starvation issue. If you're running hard (sub 2:10 or on very sticky tires) you really shouldn't ever let the car drop below 1/2 and definitely not 1/4 tank. I always bring extra fuel for this reason - there are some quick long sweepers at HPR that can pull all the fuel to one side of the tank.

I was out Saturday with the Z Club and the conditions were similar but less cars actually (only 31). Unfortunately my brake light wire got cut (it got pinched and rubbed through) so I was done early (fixed it last night). I did do a new thing with the car though - I'm taking turn 7 (the right hand uphill after 6 "Danny's Lesson") flat. I come out of 6 in 2nd gear, quickly up to 3rd then just hold it flat all the way up the hill quickly going into 4th as I top the hill then HARD on the brakes. I'd never done it flat nor heard of anything doing it flat so I figured what the hell, let's see. Aero+slicks = hero.

Heading out again this weekend with PCA if anyone wants to join...

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 08:12 AM

Good times, and great luck with the weather.

I'd love to have had more Lotus cars out there, but we did represent the marque pretty well. Lasat session I was running really consistent laps, so I'm proud of that. Felt like it took a bit to get the cobwebs out, haven't run the track since last fall, and I think I'm ready to run again!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
ERP

Quote:
I'm taking turn 7 (the right hand uphill after 6 "Danny's Lesson") flat. I come out of 6 in 2nd gear, quickly up to 3rd then just hold it flat all the way up the hill quickly going into 4th as I top the hill then HARD on the brakes. I'd never done it flat nor heard of anything doing it flat so I figured what the hell, let's see. Aero+slicks = hero.
I'm super jealous, I have to lift for turn 7. From my telemetry data my max speed at approach to turn 7 is 82 mph. I lift and scrub speed at turn in down to 72 mph. Then back on the gas and I'm up to 88 mph before turn 8. I need more aero and front tires wider than 195.

Ross - Now you need to work on being flat through turn 3

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
As for your fuel questions it's simply a function of track time, not really sessions.
I'm not as think as you drunk I am. Obviously we're talking laps rather than sessions. But my simple mind has these sessions at roughly the same duration. I was thinking 6 sessions at 25 minutes each is several more laps than 4 sessions at 30 minutes each.

On the free day I ran six sessions which turned out to be 38 laps plus an in and an out for each session or 50 times around. Sunday was 40 laps plus an in and an out for each or 48 times around.

I surprise myself that I continue to set a faster lap each track day. This time I knocked another second off my best time on the cheapo street tires, to 2:19.5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Rocky Mountain Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in