New OBD2 testing in Colorado - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Garage
New OBD2 testing in Colorado

It looks like the OBD2 testing is now coming to Colorado. I remember reading some states had issues with this type of testing and Lotus cars, I hope this does not cause new issues when I have to renew plates this year. Anyone have to go there in the next few months?

Air Care Colorado :: Home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 05:45 PM
craigyirush

This might mean no aftermarket tunes without flashing it back to stock.

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 06:14 PM

Well. Wounder what this means to a car with a BOE supercharger on it.

BOE/Phil

Any Input?

Apexes are a lot like relationships. So tough to get right, so easy to see where they went wrong.

The secret to a long life is ------- not dying.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:26 AM

Shouldn't be an issue as long as your ready codes are satisfied.

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:45 AM

One more reason I left that state. Pretty, but too cold and too much BS to deal with!

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 11:34 AM

They've plugged in OBD and my emissions sheet has shown the ready status every year I've done emissions for 4+ years.

I think the difference now is that they don't put 8-11 year old cars on the rollers and sniffer - instead they fail them if the OBD isn't ready. Before they would complain if your OBD wasn't ready but you could convince them to still pass you if the sniffer passed - now, you don't have that option.

I just checked the sheet I got from when I got the Elise and indeed it has an OBDII section already (marked as PASS), so I don't think they'll have the NY-style issues where their OBD software sucks.

I think that does mean that those of us with "legitimate" aftermarket tunes that leave the OBD status as NOT READY will have to flash back before going in. But if they haven't complained about your OBD before I don't think they're going to start now.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 01:28 PM
Nein Kinder

One of the changes I'm really happy about is that new vehicles don't have to get an emissions inspection until year 7. My 2011 Elise SC won't have to be tested under the new rules until 2018. Under the old rules, it would have been tested this year.

The local Air Care CO in Aurora was pretty rough on all my vehicles. They kicked the speaker grill off the door of my VW, then multiple people stepped on it getting in and out while repositioning the car. A young lady dropped the hood on my 968 from as high as it would fall. Luckily, I installed extra rubber bumpers around its perimeter or it would have crashed against the body. Only one guy (apparently) could operate a manual on the rolling road, and he was rough as hell with the clutch - the cars lurching back and forth dramatically with every shift. Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrggggh.

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 01:33 PM
Nein Kinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_porsche View Post
I think I've seen Phil say his tunes will show everything ready but wouldn't pass a comparison to the manufacturer's checksum (for example, Can the Fastworks software make my emmisions pass? I'm sure he'll chime in...

Whatever the answer, I sure hope there is a way to use his tune here in Colorado. I'm looking forward to his black-dash tune in the near future.

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC

Last edited by Glen; 01-21-2015 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Added url
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri3d View Post
I just checked the sheet I got from when I got the Elise and indeed it has an OBDII section already (marked as PASS), so I don't think they'll have the NY-style issues where their OBD software sucks.

I think that does mean that those of us with "legitimate" aftermarket tunes that leave the OBD status as NOT READY will have to flash back before going in. But if they haven't complained about your OBD before I don't think they're going to start now.
I will have to check my sheet from last year to see what the OBDII section says as they didn't complain about anything.

I do plan to have an aftermarket tune at some point soon, really do not want to have to change between tunes just to pass.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 02:54 PM

Mine says this:

Check Engine Light: PASS
Check Engine Light Command Status: Inaccessible
Diagnostic Trouble Codes: [blank]

You can always go online to find out where the drive-by vans are. Drive by them a half dozen times and you should get a letter in the mail saying you passed. No need to take the car in. But you still have to pay the $25.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunschev View Post
Mine says this:

Check Engine Light: PASS
Check Engine Light Command Status: Inaccessible
Diagnostic Trouble Codes: [blank]

You can always go online to find out where the drive-by vans are. Drive by them a half dozen times and you should get a letter in the mail saying you passed. No need to take the car in. But you still have to pay the $25.
Those damn vans, never seem to be anywhere near me when I look at the days and locations. I will give that a try as it warms though. They are also changing from the vans to some green box, not sure if those will be moved as well or become installed at some locations.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 07:14 PM

Garage
I moved away from Denver for this reason, my cars would NEVER pass inspection,, Bought a freestanding Garage in the springs to work and store my cars. Contact me if you need plates/tags without an inspection.

1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
1991 Lotus Elan M100
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:35 PM
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_porsche View Post

BOE/Phil

Any Input?
No problem

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:42 PM
Absolute power does what?

The last time I had my car tested here by AirCare Colorado (or whatever their name is) I asked them "by law do I have to let you drive my car?". The answer was "oh we test Lambos, Ferraris, Bugattis, etc. so we deal with lots of very expensive cars". To which I replied that it wasn't about about expense as my car really isn't that expensive but it's *very* fragile and *very* hard to get in and out of. After about a 30 minute friendly conversation (I really tried to kill the guy with kindness) and him looking at my car he agreed to give me some sort of handicap exemption. Basically that means I'm not able to get out of the car so they only do a visual inspection. So I rolled it in the bay, they looked at it, I told them where the cat was (my car was legal then) and they gave me the thumbs up. I pulled out and was on my way fairly shocked that it was so easy and they treated me rather nicely. That was the Broomfield location so perhaps I just got lucky.

At the end of the day for me the question was "by law I have to let you drive my car" as I knew the answer would be no. So you might try that angle just to keep them out of your car. The first time I had it inspected when I bought it years back 5 different people drove it. Every time it had to be moved a different person got in it to do so which pissed me off to no end. I did take it with the top off and it was bone stock so not that hard to get into. This last time it not only had the top on but the Tillet carbon seats, harnesses and the side skirts. With all that as you guys know it's extremely hard for even me to get in and out. Fortunately I have 1 year left on my registration and after that I won't street it again as there's no way all Phil's magic will ever pass.

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 10:07 AM

The first time they ran my Esprit on the emissions rollers, was right after I bought it, 14.5 years ago. I explained how the parking brake worked, and then they ran the test... As the wheels were slowing down, I could see brake dust streaming out of the rear wheels... They had left the parking brake on!!!

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 10:19 AM

Co emissions is a scam for Envirotest to make money, only required in certain counties? who cares if you have brakes, lights or your car is even safe to drive as long as it doesn't smoke it's good in Colorado, go figure.
the limits are very forgiving your car would have to run very badly for it to fail.

Lotus S4 Turbo
Evora
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 11:31 AM

I was nice to the people at the Boulder location and they were nice to my car in return. Only one person drove it, listened to what I had to say about getting in and out, and didn't break anything.

I'm going to go the green box / van route to avoid future inspections, though.

It's a total scam. Every time the state hire consultants to evaluate their programs they tell them that the air care program isn't worth it vs. any possible reduction in emissions. But they continue to do it (although it seems they will eventually scale it back) because nobody wants to be seen as cutting jobs. The best part is that they don't even test the fleet and commercial vehicles that drive the most miles (and therefore would contribute the most to pollution). And of the vehicles they do test, 98%+ of them pass...
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 11:32 AM

Bumping this as I just got a no dyno/OBD only pass at the Boulder office, no hassle and the computer didn't have any issues talking to the ECU.

I pointed the techs to the OBD port, they successfully connected to the ECU, read the readiness monitors and trouble codes, tested the gas cap, and waved the car straight to the register. The craziest part? The tune on the car has the cat monitor disabled (reports N/A) and I didn't drive through a tank of gas so my evap was NOT READY... and it still passed anyway.

I think that means no rollers until 2017+ for any of us (it's 12 years before you get the rollers now)! Unless you have DTCs stored it seems like it'll pass. They did label my car as an Elan again though...
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 09:30 PM
Absolute power does what?

Thanks for the update - did you chat with them before hand to see how they'd handle it or did you just go through the process like any other car? And did you drive the car through or did you have to hand over the keys to them? That's the biggest part that bothers me as while it might be their policy to not allow owners to drive the car though but it is not law. The first time I had mine done back in 2010 at least 4 different techs drove it, basically every time it needed to be moved someone new moved it. I'm sure all the techs there work out who's going to get to do what when a special car comes through and while I sorta can't blame them it does sorta suck for owners like us. Of the 4 that moved it I had to walk out and show 3 of them how to even start it and 2 I had to show how to get in/out (I'd put a sign on the roof, steering wheel and door that said "DO NOT TOUCH".

I felt sorta douchy making a big deal of it as it's not like these are expensive cars, as we all know they are just fragile!

-Ross

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 05:25 AM
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
Mine passed no problem at the Fort Collins Air Care station w/ the BOE TorqueTune 200 installed. Funny...for some reason they thought an OBD2 test would not work on my Elise, so they tried to dyno test mine first (with me driving it on the dyno) but couldn't get the sniffer to stay in the tailpipe of the Stage 2 muffler (before I installed my Larini I have now). So they "tried" an OBD2 test instead. I was out of there in 5 minutes, passed w/ flying colors.

Nick____________
2005 Elise - Chrome Orange (SOLD)
2004 Porsche 911 GT3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Rocky Mountain Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in