Open Lapping at HPR 2/14/2015 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Absolute power does what?

Open Lapping at HPR 2/14/2015

Just throwing it out there that a few of us are going to do some open lapping at HPR on 2/14/2015. Seems the weather will be rather nice, a good friend is going out in his Cayman and I'm going to give the new Jag XF-R a go. Curious to see how much tire I can turn into smoke and if I can get it down to a 2:05 (probably closer to 2:10)

Anyone else interested?

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 06:37 PM

I think I'm going, but at my average 2:13 lap I'm at risk of being embarrassed by your silly fat Jaguar
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Nein Kinder

I'd be interested - if nothing else than to watch. Unfortunately, I'm committed to a family event all day. I sent in my membership application for LOCO a few weeks ago and should make this month's meeting. Ross - if you're at the meeting, maybe you can give me some ideas on how to get on HPR with an instructor.

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 07:08 PM
Addict

Garage
Thanks for the notice but I will not be able to make. Take the GoPro so we can see the Jag go round.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

I'll definitely have the cameras running, hoping to catch some clouds of tire smoke behind me. Even if not she should be pretty fun - and bri3d given I usually run below 2:00 in the Exige a 2:10 should be pretty attainable. She's fat sure but she's got a ton of grip and certainly enough power. On Top Gear's track an XF-R was only .3 slower than a stock Exige. Sure mine is far from stock so we'll have to see if I can break 2:10. A good friend runs 2:05-2:06 in his Cayman S and the XF-R was dead even with it on TG. Hopefully I at least match his best but he's got a few mods and will be on r-comps where I'm just gonna be on summers.

If any of you guys are serious about going out get registered ASAP - they need 10 registrations by Friday afternoon to decide if they're gonna run or not.

Oh, Glen I'll most likely be there (what's the date again, do you know?) and as for an instructor my advice will be to either go out with PCA or BMW as both will assign you an instructor for the day and both are about $200/day (for 4 25 minute runs). If you want to do private instruction Chris Sarian's group does private instruction of lapping days for $400/$600 half/full day. Depending on the day I too have done a fair bit of private instruction and am cheaper than that - feel free to PM me if you're interested.

-Ross

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 08:31 PM

They've got enough signups per their Facebook!

I've been to HPR with said Cayman S-owning friend before! He's fast. I bet you can wrestle the Jag under 2:10... I'm just coming up with excuses for being slow
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Cool, couldn't remember if you'd been out with us before. Chris is definitely no slow-poke and it'll be interesting to be in a car so close to his. My ego won't enjoy it if he's quicker - I can admit to my competitive nature but at least I have all my racing-excuses ready to go when/if he is.

I'm truly not willing to be too hard on her as she is my daily and current love. I could gush about that car for hours as it really is the most amazingly epic car I've ever owned. Really in a whole 'nuther class from even my RS4. I really don't want to have to replace the brakes and 20" tires anytime soon.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 08:39 PM

Darn, sound like fun.

Unfortunately I have a prior engagement with the gal that sponsors my Lotus that Hallmark holiday.

Apexes are a lot like relationships. So tough to get right, so easy to see where they went wrong.

The secret to a long life is ------- not dying.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Well Bri3d are you gonna make it out? Anyone else gonna be there? I'm planning on arriving around 11 or so - I suppose we'll find out what the "silly Jag" is capable of!

Hoping to see some of you guys there, would be great to see some Lotus out there. I am tempted to bring the Exige but don't want to get the whole trailer out for just a few hours and I just know if I drive it out something will break on me.

-Ross

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 06:09 PM

Yup, car's set and I'll be there in the Elise along with my friend (and Chris's coworker) Matt and his S2000.

I'm sure I'll be able to find you by the clouds of tire smoke... I look forward to checking out the Jag
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Sweet, psyched that a few friends will be out. Was just saying to a few friends I was getting burned out on track days as the social component has changed so much over the years. It'll be nice to do a laid back day just for some fun.

I do expect a few rides as I'll probably only run 2-3 session in the Jag as I don't want to kill the tires and brakes to the point I have to replace them immediately. Those 20" tires don't buy themselves.

See you around 11.

-Ross

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Just closing out the thread as I had a great time today with Bri3d (Brian) and a few other local friends in a Cayman S, S2000 and 944 Turbo. Was only able to manage a 2:12 in the, well there's no other word for it - sport yacht! I couldn't believe how much the Jag rolled around, it was rather hysterical. It was fun throwing it sideways in the tight corners and while it didn't feel completely out of place it sure wasn't in its element. Ran 3 sessions in it and got some kind of limp mode in the last one (but no warnings on the dash or anything) so I figured that was probably the end of it's track career. Brakes and tires (especially) fared far better than I expected but my front wheels have gone from silver to a deep gun metal. I was able to hold Brian off in his stock '06 Elise (sorry Brian) so I was fairly pleased about that.

The stats on the Jag vs. Exige are pretty fun.

Jag, 4300lbs, 510hp, 8.4 lbs/hp
Exige, 1900lbs, 420hp, 4.5 lbs/hp

So the Exige is half as heavy with essentially double the horsepower - no wonder I'm 14 seconds quicker in the Exige! I suppose sometimes the car really does matter, huh??

-Ross

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 05:43 PM

Glad you had a good time. I just realized that it's been 2 seasons since I've been on the track! Now that my legs are finally getting back under me I can't wait to get back onto a track. My goal of running Laguna Seca last year was not obtained due to multiple surgeries. BUT, it's on this year!! I can't wait!!!

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 06:03 PM

I had a blast!

Gotta improve my pace to something a bit better than the yacht's

I'll try to remember to make a thread whenever I go out this summer so we can try to get the Lotus crew all out at once. Was nice having a whole group out.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

You did great Bri3d - remember I have between 3-4,000 laps driving at HPR and probably that many instructing so I know it as well as pretty much anyone. I was bummed I didn't get a ride with you and look forward to doing so next time out.

Sturgeon I'm so happy to hear you're doing well enough to be able to get out this season. If you haven't already be sure to hook up with Frank Amoroso as he's a pretty hot shoe and can show you the ropes at Laguna for sure. He's been running it quite a bit lately and is a great guy and instructor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Rocky Mountain Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in