The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Peak to Peak Drive? (Mt Evans - Pikes Peak)

5K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  doug_porsche 
#1 · (Edited)
I am thinking it would be fun to drive to the top of Mt Evans and then the top of Pikes Peak (or visa-versa) in one day. Would not leave much time for sightseeing on either peak, but its about the drive:D

Thinking towards the end May.

Anybody up for a drive?

#2 ·
Wow! Good Idea. but dunno, DP.....I get protective of those last ski days, and A-Basin is looking at a June close date! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I DEFINATELY want to do Trail Ridge with you before the summer is out. I will provide the refreshments.

#3 ·
Well, the end of May was just a suggestion. Can do the end of June, or July, or mid June or ....

Let me know when this and/or Trail Ridge works for you and lets make it happen!

#4 ·
Sounds fun. Would the route be something like this?

Pikes Peak
Mt Evans

130 miles

#5 · (Edited)
Sure, why not. Is that doable in one day?

that sounds better than I-25 to I-70 bla bla bla.

History snip-it "U.S. Route 24 is one of the original United States highways of 1926."

Just did the route in google maps and it looks great!

#9 ·
Pikes to Evans, 14'er to 14'er.

Google says it will take 4 hours, I bet we can do it in 2.5 hours.

Attachments

#15 ·
Hmmm. I'm skeptical about that 4 hours. But what do I know? If that bit is 4 hours, getting to/from will be another 3. Plus you need to add in some "rest" time at each summit. And a meal somewhere.

I think it could be done, but it will be a long day :)

I certainly want to do Mt. Evans this year. I'd also like to do Loveland Pass and Independence Pass. (Trail Ridge doesn't need to go on the list because I drive it 3 or 4 times every year.)

#12 ·
Peak to Peak

Hi Doug...
This sounds like a lot of FUN! But, I gotta ask the silly question: Do 'ya think it would be "ok" for a car not yet broken-in? Sadly; I've got what currently amounts to a garage queen -- but, come retirement (1 Jun 13) -- she's coming out of hibernation!

#17 ·
Hi Doug...
This sounds like a lot of FUN! But, I gotta ask the silly question: Do 'ya think it would be "ok" for a car not yet broken-in? Sadly; I've got what currently amounts to a garage queen -- but, come retirement (1 Jun 13) -- she's coming out of hibernation!
As this is a drive on public roads and the main object is to have fun, not set fast time of the day, I think you will be fine.

Just follow recommendations as stated in your owners manual, (yep that there is a legal disclaimer)!

Again, Priority 1 is fun, not speed.

And what better way to get to know your car than 18,000 ft elevation change in one day!

#16 ·
Travis

Sorry to hear this.

Ya know, in newer model Lotus the used Toyota motors. What they lack in sex-appeal they make up in reliability!

hope broke means "need to change the water pump" not "hey, I found 3 out of 4 of the rods".

#21 ·
Shorter drive suggestion...

For a shorter drive alternative... How about Denver - Idaho Springs - Black Hawk - Nederland - Estes Park - Rocky Mountain Nat Park. Lots of peaks, twisters, and scenery... But only an hour and a half each way. We could start at Castlewood Canyon State Park to add 30 min. Eat in Estes Park. Loop around Rocky Mountain Nat Park.... Thoughts?

#22 ·
For a shorter drive alternative... How about Denver - Idaho Springs - Black Hawk - Nederland - Estes Park - Rocky Mountain Nat Park. Lots of peaks, twisters, and scenery... But only an hour and a half each way. We could start at Castlewood Canyon State Park to add 30 min. Eat in Estes Park. Loop around Rocky Mountain Nat Park.... Thoughts?
How about this as a tune up drive?

#24 ·
Subscribed, if I still have the Audi I'll join you guys - spending that much time in my Exige would not be pleasant ;-)

#25 ·
One thought on Rocky Mountain National Park guys, due to sequester there are rumblings that Trail Ridge may open later this year. We haven't had an obscene amount of spring snow but there has been some, so she will need to be plowed a bit for a decent May opening.

#27 ·
Hmm. All we have here is Pike Island. Yes, it is the same Z. Pike.

I wanted to do the Mount Evans Scenic Byway in the Stag when I was in Breckenridge, but it didn't work out. Had to settle for the Swan Mountain Road. :rolleyes:

The Stag went to the top of Pike's Peak during the charity drive, but not with me.

#28 ·
I am hearing the roads may not be cleared by the end of May.

Moving it back to either end of June or end of July.

Let me know if you have a preference

#33 ·
The last two days of precipitation has dumped a lot of fresh snow above 10k feet.

#34 ·
Well, today i had no plans so.

Wife and I and a buddy and his wife with their Callaway Corvette did a rode trip

Here are some of the locals we got to see on Mt Evens in the morning.

39.587413,-105.642387

Pikes Peak in the afternoon.

38.8407,-105.044615

Makes for a bit of a long drive, especially when you have to drive from Colorado Springs to Denver in the rain!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.