Pueblo Motorsports Park, June 9 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Pueblo Motorsports Park, June 9

I made my first trip to PMP last Saturday. It was a CECA/Shelby club event. They stop taking entries at 60 cars. I don't think they were fully subscribed, but there were quite a few cars out. Most notably, a very pretty Shelby all in chrome. There was one other Elise there, somebody I hadn't met before. A couple of old Cougars, some race equipped Porsches, a contingent of Miatas, a matte black Audi RS4, a Viper, a handful of Corvettes and an assortment of Mustangs, even a Cadillac CTS-V. There was a Ferrari, but I don't recall seeing him on the track.

PMP was also holding an off-road event at the same time. This made things interesting at times. The off-road guys surrounded the track on three sides. They'd kick up big clouds of dust which would float over the track; the wind kept shifting, so you never knew where the dust would be next.

Tried a few new camera angles. Not sure I was happy with all of them. Here's a lap following the Audi.
Following Toms Audi - YouTube

Had a lot of fun. At first, I didn't care that much for the track but by the end of the day I developed an appreciation for it.

Anybody going to PPIR on the 23rd? HPR on 7/8?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 11:59 AM

Man, they had turn 10 (the last turn by the tower that leads onto the drag strip), setup so it would be no fun. They forced you, with the cones, so the apex is out about 20 ft farther out than it should be.

Glad you had fun!

Got to be a passenger on that track with Greg Mathews in a Can Am Mclaren a number of years ago. The acceleration down the drag strep was amazing.

Apexes are a lot like relationships. So tough to get right, so easy to see where they went wrong.

The secret to a long life is ------- not dying.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Absolute power does what?

Quote:
Man, they had turn 10 (the last turn by the tower that leads onto the drag strip), setup so it would be no fun. They forced you, with the cones, so the apex is out about 20 ft farther out than it should be.
As someone who's killed a car in that corner I'm really glad they're trying to change it/slow it down. Came around it in my '07 350z (I was a novice at the time) and the backend kicked out. I must have lifted, car pointed at the inside, caught traction and blamo - right into the wall. Me don't like turn 10.

I'll be at HPR on 6/22 (Chump weekend) and at HPR 7/6 - 7/8 (Firday open lapping, Z Car Club and possibly CECA). Last time I ran with CECA it was a total and complete mess so I'm not sure I want to deal with that again...

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscarlson View Post
As someone who's killed a car in that corner I'm really glad they're trying to change it/slow it down. Came around it in my '07 350z (I was a novice at the time) and the backend kicked out. I must have lifted, car pointed at the inside, caught traction and blamo - right into the wall. Me don't like turn 10.

I'll be at HPR on 6/22 (Chump weekend) and at HPR 7/6 - 7/8 (Firday open lapping, Z Car Club and possibly CECA). Last time I ran with CECA it was a total and complete mess so I'm not sure I want to deal with that again...
They said they didn't have the cones out for RMVR and one car took the inside line, another the outside, and they had a coming together. Not good. As I had no basis for comparison, I had no problem running the way they had it set up.

What was a mess when you ran with CECA? I have limited track experience - maybe 4 LOCO days and a couple of open lapping days at HPR. And now a day at PMP. I had no problem with any of them, once I got used to being passed anywhere on the track on the open lapping days.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
What was a mess when you ran with CECA? I have limited track experience - maybe 4 LOCO days and a couple of open lapping days at HPR. And now a day at PMP. I had no problem with any of them, once I got used to being passed anywhere on the track on the open lapping days.
The main issue was passing. At the time I was running in the fast group in my Subaru Spec.B (a rather quick car) and I remember each session being help up for 2-3 LAPS by the same cars. Huge trains would form and they'd do nothing about it. When I'd ask about it they would just blow me off as I was "new" to the group. Seemed to be a bunch of old-slow guys with their old vintage cars - but as they all had a "surely you can't pass me" attitude it was a horrible event.

What they need to learn is there is always someone with a faster car and always someone with more money. That does NOT make you faster - just move over and let people by. We all get passed and we all pass people. The egos there couldn't handle that.

This was a few years back so perhaps they've changed...

-Ross

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunschev View Post
They said they didn't have the cones out for RMVR and one car took the inside line, another the outside, and they had a coming together. Not good. As I had no basis for comparison, I had no problem running the way they had it set up.
OK, thats too bad.

That corner is not a 2 wide corner @ race speed.

Apexes are a lot like relationships. So tough to get right, so easy to see where they went wrong.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscarlson View Post
The main issue was passing.
I'm fairly slow, so YMMV. My best laps were in the 2:06's on my hard street tires. Others complained that the track was quite slick.

Here's how it worked last weekend.

Three groups:
Green - novice
Blue - intermediate (some experience but new to this track)
Red - experienced (been on this track before)

Each group ran alone in the morning. In the afternoon they had a session that was Green+Blue. Late afternoon they had open sessions.

They accepted entries for 60 cars, but this day was not fully subscribed so the track was not crowded.

Passing was restricted to two places (drag strip, between 4-5) in the morning, added a third (between 8-9) in the afternoon. I was one of the slower cars in Blue, faster only than the Triumph and a couple Miatas. In the afternoon while running with Green group cars, I had no issues being held up. The Corvettes in Green were all slower than the Miatas in Blue and I was passing them 2 and 3 at a time on the drag strip, so clearly they were paying attention.

With only 60 cars at HPR we should be spread out a bit more.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_porsche View Post
OK, thats too bad.

That corner is not a 2 wide corner @ race speed.
Just to clarify, one guy took the new line, outside the concrete. The other guy took the old line inside the concrete. I believe they were telling folks to go outside that concrete but not everybody listened (or old habits die hard).
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 10:46 AM

Don't get me wrong. There is plenty of room for two cars to go into the corner...

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Passing was restricted to two places (drag strip, between 4-5) in the morning, added a third (between 8-9) in the afternoon. I was one of the slower cars in Blue, faster only than the Triumph and a couple Miatas. In the afternoon while running with Green group cars, I had no issues being held up. The Corvettes in Green were all slower than the Miatas in Blue and I was passing them 2 and 3 at a time on the drag strip, so clearly they were paying attention.
I suppose it's the restricted passing that bugs me as I'd get behind so many Vette's and Mustangs with tons and tons of power. We'd hit the straight and they'd floor it leaving me in their dust - next corner and I'm top of them and have to wait another minute or more for another passing zone - when they'd do the same damn thing. By the end of the day I was flashing my brights at a guy in a 60's 350H Mustang for 2 full laps and he never ever let me by. We had a few words in the paddock after that.

I'm guessing in the Lotus I'd run low 1:50s at Pueblo but it's been so long since I've been down there and the new pavement will obviously change things. 60 cars with 3+ run groups should be plenty of spacing at HPR

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:59 PM

I was at a CECA event at HPR last fall, when my headgasket blew... The only problem passing was one Elise who had a wheel well liner rubbing, and wasn't paying attention to the 2 race vipers and my Esprit behind him, but that only lasted a few seconds on the long straight.

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Rocky Mountain Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in