Spotted - Black Exige 136 AutoX with BMW CCA - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Absolute power does what?

Spotted - Black Exige 136 AutoX with BMW CCA

Pretty surprised I don't know this car/owner - so I probably do and just don't realize it. Who has the black AutoX car, 136 SSP car who's been AutoX'ing with the Rocky Mountain BMW club? Don't think I've ever seen you at the track, AutoX only? As you have by far the coolest model and color Lotus ever made I'll have to assume that, like me you're a - well - nerdy douche who drives your friends nut by never shutting up about your stupid little car!!! HA!

Seriously though who is this - would love to say hi and hear about your car!

-Ross

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 06:41 AM

I have seen that car autox. it is a 2007 father and son team that runs e85 setup with super fat tires.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Interesting, so they aren't really on LT or part of the local Lotus community then? No issue there I suppose, just curious. Are they an African American family? I remember meeting some guys that were that owned a black '07 many years back. It does look like a pretty well sorted/built car so was just curious. As most know I'm not an Auto-X guy in the slightest so when I saw the picture on the BMW site I wasn't really surprised I hadn't met them.

-Ross

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 07:45 AM

Just saw this, that is actually my dad's car. It is an autox car as it is a bit twitchy in its current state for track duty. My dad, sister and I primarily run with RMsolo, but we have done a couple events with the BMW group. It is pretty well sorted for the class, and will be even more so over the next few weeks.

Oh and we are most definitely white.. lol
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Well I suppose that answers the mystery now doesn't it! Great car, I wanted to compliment you (or your dad) for choosing not only the best color but the best year of the Exige!! Love the red/orange wheels, looks pretty fantastic. Do you guys have a build thread somewhere with a list of your mods?

I know you said it's twitchy for track duty but do you ever bring it out to the track? I'm currently trying to put together a track day before LOG in August and run with BMW and Porsche all summer long. Would love to have you join us, always fun to see another black Exige!

Again nice to *meet* you guys, oh and hope I didn't offend with my black comment, that certainly wasn't my goal. I just remember meeting an African American father/son team in a black Exige but I think it was an '07 Exige S.

Great car.

-Ross

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscarlson View Post
Well I suppose that answers the mystery now doesn't it! Great car, I wanted to compliment you (or your dad) for choosing not only the best color but the best year of the Exige!! Love the red/orange wheels, looks pretty fantastic. Do you guys have a build thread somewhere with a list of your mods?

I know you said it's twitchy for track duty but do you ever bring it out to the track? I'm currently trying to put together a track day before LOG in August and run with BMW and Porsche all summer long. Would love to have you join us, always fun to see another black Exige!

Again nice to *meet* you guys, oh and hope I didn't offend with my black comment, that certainly wasn't my goal. I just remember meeting an African American father/son team in a black Exige but I think it was an '07 Exige S.

Great car.

-Ross

Thanks for the compliments! The Exige may see a track day or two, but our season is pretty full between local events and traveling for Pros. I have an STi that I do take out for track days every now and then.

As far as the build from the top of my head:

Penske BWR DAs
BWR Sway Bar
Modified upper control arms
Bogart wheels
275s square* Hoosier A6s
PPE Header W/ de cat pipe
Larini Club Sport Exhaust
ITG Intake
E85 Conversion

I know there are a bunch of other things that I missed too.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

From that list it sounds like a well sorted and evenly modified car. Meaning it's nice that you upgraded all the major systems, not just power and not just grip, etc.

Question, what do you mean by 275 square A6s? You're not running 275 fronts are you? It's a little hard to tell from the pictures but it doesn't look like I'm seeing fender flares front or rear so how the hell are you fitting that wide a tire at the rear, let alone the front? I can get away with 245 rears in the A6 but am 99% sure the 245 A7s are gonna rub like crazy, at least that's what I'm reading/understanding.

The main 2 things I don't see are brake upgrades, so what have you done there? I also see an E85 conversion but no supercharger listed. @lotus90 says it's an '07 (so the MP62 SC) but to my eyes that looks like an '06 roof scoop. What am I missing??

I know I said it already but damn do I love the look of those wheels in red against the black of your car. I went with gold to match my livery/stripes but may have to recoat a set in red to see what I think of it. If someone asked me I woulda said red wheels would look stupid but clearly you're proving that is not the case!

Here's hoping I run into you at a track day, if you ever see my car please come by and say hi. I'd have to imagine I'd notice yours as well and would do the same.

-Ross

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 12:20 AM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscarlson View Post
From that list it sounds like a well sorted and evenly modified car. Meaning it's nice that you upgraded all the major systems, not just power and not just grip, etc.

Question, what do you mean by 275 square A6s? You're not running 275 fronts are you? It's a little hard to tell from the pictures but it doesn't look like I'm seeing fender flares front or rear so how the hell are you fitting that wide a tire at the rear, let alone the front? I can get away with 245 rears in the A6 but am 99% sure the 245 A7s are gonna rub like crazy, at least that's what I'm reading/understanding.

The main 2 things I don't see are brake upgrades, so what have you done there? I also see an E85 conversion but no supercharger listed. @lotus90 says it's an '07 (so the MP62 SC) but to my eyes that looks like an '06 roof scoop. What am I missing??

I know I said it already but damn do I love the look of those wheels in red against the black of your car. I went with gold to match my livery/stripes but may have to recoat a set in red to see what I think of it. If someone asked me I woulda said red wheels would look stupid but clearly you're proving that is not the case!

Here's hoping I run into you at a track day, if you ever see my car please come by and say hi. I'd have to imagine I'd notice yours as well and would do the same.

-Ross
"Square" means front and rears are the same. Here's the link from BWR.

http://www.blackwatchracing.com/product-p/1082.htm

06 (NA) and 07 Exige (S) used the same roof scoop. Mohawk didn't come along until 2008.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 07:04 AM

It is an 07 Exige S, so it has the factory supercharger yet still retains the same roof scoop as the 06. This one has the factory track pack as well as the OEM LSD. I really like the look of the later Mohawk scoop, but it still feeds the intercooler through the same narrow hole on top of the bulkhead. We complemented the roof scoop with routing secondary feeds to the side scoops.

For brakes we have DBA full floating rotors, Hawk HP Dust front pads and DTC 30(?) rear compounds along with Motul RBF600 fluid.

We are running 275s up front on a 9.5 inch wheel and 275s out back with a 10.5 inch wheel. The 275/35/17 A6 is about a half inch wider than the 275/35/15 A6 up front. The new A7s change a bit so we will most likely swap to the 245 front (which is the same size as the out going 275). We started with the 295/35/17 in the rear before they came out with the 275/35/17. The fronts actually tuck into the fender nicely, but the rears do poke a bit. The wheels were color matched to a bright orange. If we were going to get them painted, why not something crazy right?? haha Glad you like them!

We will come to a track day if you come out to an autocross
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 08:28 AM

HA! This thread is pretty funny - I met scionized's sister at a friend's birthday dinner a long time ago. Somehow the conversation turned to AutoX and it was quite the bizarre "small world" experience to say the least. Would love to see you all at the track sometime, but I'm not sure I want to trade the parking lot camping experience :P
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 01:57 PM

What a small world!

Were planning on hitting the dyno up at Six Star Cars tomorrow. Hopefully going to get solid gains under the curve and smoothing out the upper power band!

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 02:08 PM

If you post a dyno sheet it would be cool
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Pretty stunned you can fit a 275 up front without massive rubbing, so no fender flares or other widening modifications for that? Are you running spacers? Seems I really need to see your car sometime. Oh and on the wheels I couldn't agree more, if you're gonna paint/coat them go crazy! When I had mine done in gold the guy immediately said "ah, must be for a Blue Subaru STi, right?" - as you guys know there are a ton of Subies out here so when I corrected him he was pretty surprised and had no idea what an Exige even was. Showed him some pictures on my phone and he had the typical "is that thing $200k?!?!" reaction.

What other pads have you tried? I've used the DTC series in the past on my Legacy Spec.B that was extremely modified including a Wilwood BBK and honestly I hated them. Once I moved to the Pagid blacks (RS14) I never went back as for my feet they are the best pads I've ever used.

Thanks @scionized and and @oldmansan for the education on the roof scoops. I suppose I just didn't realize the '07 used my top with the grill cover removed. I've considered drilling mine out to get extra airflow but have just never needed it as the side scoops are enough. The driver's side hits the cold air intake and the right hits my Setrab oil cooler. My air/water intercooloer for the SC is front mount and pressurized so it gets plenty of cooling as well. Fortunately it's never that hot (or only rarely) here in Colorado.

Still stunned by those tire widths, gotta see your car! Not sure what part of town you're in but you should hit up Cars and Coffee sometime. There's a meet tomorrow morning but as that's rather late notice I won't twist your arm into joining. I'm 50/50 myself as I'm not sure I can drag my ass outta bed that early!

-Ross

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 09:13 AM

Pretty successful day up at Six Star Tuning! We saw some really good gains over the previous tune. This dyno notoriously reads low, for reference, a stock STi would normally put down around 190hp. The car feels way more responsive. Peak HP was about 207 before we started tweaking, and ended up with 239HP. Although primarily a Subaru shop, I would highly recommend Six Star Cars for anyone local.

I forgot to print off the final chart, but here is the one we had before lunch:

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 09:19 AM

Ross, I do have a small 3mm spacer on the front and back. However, I believe the main reason we are able to fit the 275 up front is because we achieved our camber through shortening the front upper control arm. Steering arms are not legal in SSP.

I've tried a bunch of pads, but between multiple platforms, I have lost track of exactly what pads I have used on which cars. I've mainly stuck with Hawk as they pay contingency credit for national events. The current mix of compounds is the best combo we have found that results in steady braking performance with next to zero ice mode incidents.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Very nice gains for a non-Lotus tuner. I've had a guy in town, Harv that was a Super Rupair in Boulder and started a shop called The Boost Creep (not sure if it's still around) do a lot of tuning on my old Legacy Spec.B. Since Phil at BOE built my car and isn't that far away (sure it's 9 hours but he's awesome) I take it to him when I need work. I would be curious to know what it dynos at here in Colorado, mine was roughly 360 wheel last time Phil tuned it so not too shabby.

I've still gotta see your setup sometime I would never have believed someone got 275 under the rear, let alone the fronts!! Tell me a time I could come by and drool over it (err learn from it). I'm in Broomfield/Flatirons Mall area and have a pretty free schedule at the moment as I'm in between jobs for a few weeks. Let me know what would work for you, would love to see your beast!

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:19 PM

Thanks! We actually just rented dyno time and I did a lot of the tuning this time with some guidance. It's tough to compare dyno to dyno day to day even at the same altitude. For instance the tune that made 207 on this one put down 278 last year on a dyno across the highway haha. Harvey is still around and is actually pretty close in distance to Six Star.

PM me and I can get you in touch with my dad as the car is at his house. He is in the Lone Tree area. We're taking it out to an event at Front Range airport on Sunday. If you are headed to HPR at all, it is on the way and you are welcome to stop by and see it in action.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Rocky Mountain Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in