Track Night in America @ High Plains! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Track Night in America @ High Plains!

Track Night in America is back!

I'm still working the Denver/High Plains events; the next event is June 7th - just a few weeks away.

It'd be fantastic to put names to faces from here, for those in the Denver area. We've always had lower turnout than other parts of the country, and we're looking to change that. HPR is not THAT far from Denver - it is 63 miles from the intersection of I25 and I70, and traffic around noon is typically good - and once past Pena Blvd, there is no traffic.

High Plains is a lot of fun, the Colorado Region has REALLY stepped up to the plate as far as corner workers, driver coaches - we now have two, Anthony Simmers (https://www.anthonysimmers.com) and Mike Pettiford - both accomplished roadracers with thousands of laps at HPR (and most other tracks, if you're planning on traveling, ask them about Turn 3 at Some Other Track, they'll know...).

The CO Region is also bringing food/snacks/drinks - it really is a fun evening.

Check out specific details here - http://www.tracknightinamerica.com

Also, there's a $25 off code - GRM4209Z6 - I know it works for Denver, may or may not work at other tracks.

Or, hit me up here via PM or email (ircmannix/gmail) if you have any questions. TNiA is an awesome program.

Hope to see you in June!

Iain Mannix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:39 AM
Addict

Garage
Can you provide a little more about what to expect at these events? I was tempted last year but after talking to a couple of people these seemed geared more to introducing people to track events than for experienced track day drivers.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
Can you provide a little more about what to expect at these events? I was tempted last year but after talking to a couple of people these seemed geared more to introducing people to track events than for experienced track day drivers.
Your interpretation is correct - while we welcome experienced drivers (and have an Advanced group to accommodate them), the "target market" is someone new to motorsports; someone who has purchased a neat car, wants to do something with it, but is not sure where/when/what/why/how.

For the Advanced group, the driver's meeting is not mandatory - just a quick rundown of timeframes and passing rules and zones at 4pm. All passes are done by point-by; the "passee" initiates the pass for the passer. We limit passing to three zones @ HPR - between 16 & 1 (start/finish), 3 and 4 (big straight) and 6 & 7.

We do typically only run the "south" course, excluding 9a-12, using 13s to get back to start/finish. I'm working n the possibilty of full track - it really comes down to cornerworkers.

Un/fortunately, our attendance is fairly light - typically 14-20 cars. In that case, we sometimes only run two groups - Novice and Intermediate/Advanced. With only 7-10 cars on the track, passing is actually pretty minimal, unless a much faster car (more motor) is behind a slower car. We wish we had greater attendance, but for someone looking for inexpensive track time with little traffic, TNiA is a great opportunity.

We do *not* allow true race cars, and convertibles are subject to the track's rules - in a nutshell, most convertibles need SCCA-legal rollcages, and Elises/Exiges are not "convertibles."

Open Lapping Days Information - High Plains Raceway

"True race cars" are SCCA/NASA/WRL cars with a logbook. Ross Carlson, from here, brought his Exige out. That's not a true race car. The exclusion of race cars is to prevent actual roadracers using TNiA for testing/practice. That's not been a big deal at HPR, as they often have inexpensive track days - in other parts of the country, though (coasts, mostly), getting an hour on the track for $150 is REALLY REALLY CHEAP, and very attractive to road racers needing more seat time/testing. We don't need spec Miatas bump-drafting the guy who just got a new Evora down the front straight.

So, yes, TNiA is aimed at people new to the game, but more experienced people are certainly welcome. We've had more than a few, not one has complained that they felt held up/limited - all have had a great time.

I hope that answers some questions, and certainly FAR more detail at www.tracknightinamerica.com.

Thanks!

Iain

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:02 AM
Addict

Garage
Thank you for the detailed response. I might try to make it out as it sounds like a lot of clean laps.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 05:48 AM
Addict

Garage
Anyone from here going to this tonight?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 08:41 AM

I'd love to go but just can't work it. I'm leaving Friday late afternoon for Austin. I'm running laps at COTA on Sunday!

I do want to do one of the evening events, though. Hopefully later this summer. Managed to miss all my opportunities last summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Rocky Mountain Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in