About to buy an elise in houston - I need some help please! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

About to buy an elise in houston - I need some help please!

Hi,

I've been searching for a polar blue elise/exige for a while and came across this car: Lotus Elise

I just talked to the seller who seems like a nice guy, but he doesn't seem to be an enthusiast and doesn't know about a lot of the details.

Does anyone know this car, or have any opinions? Somewhat high mileage, and it's a pretty crappy for sale ad. Looks like it has touing pack but no sport pack (based on the seats and wheels). Just wondering if anyone here recognizes the car.

Seller said it has curb rash on the wheels, needs 2 front speakers, has small minor rock chips in paint, and front clam was recently replaced because of fiberglass damage from a parking curb, and clear bra was reinstalled on the new clam. Also, it has all-season tires... so definitely not enthusiast-owned. Not perfect... but what do you all think?

The seller says he already has a lot of interest, so I'm going to send a deposit soon!

Can somebody please recommend someplace around Houston for a pre-purchase inspection. OR, would anyone be willing to check out the car for me? I will pay for your time, of course. Thanks!

Last edited by MonkeyKing; 01-13-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 07:59 PM

Would you mind if I ask how much the seller is asking?
Is it a salvage title? Have you seen the pictures with damage?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

$25k, clean title. I haven't seen detailed pictures yet. He is supposed to send me more pictures tomorrow. But, it would really help me if someone local could check it out for me. I want to put a deposit on it soon once I see the additional pictures from the seller.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 08:36 PM

Never buy one of these cars sight unseen....I don't even trust pictures.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 03:33 AM

Is it being sold by someone who will let you take it for a 30 minute drive? You can tell an awful lot from that alone. The cars are actually pretty simple mechanically, and often the value comes down to cosmetics and faith backed by receipts or other proof that there were regular fluid changes done on the car.

That having been said, if you have never driven another one for comparison, it does get tough to know whether the one you're thinking of buying shifts, brakes and steers right.

I'm in the Midwest and as it happens will be in Houston on Thursday on other business, but will only have a couple hours free. If the car is near downtown I'd be happy to try and help you look it over in the morning. At least I'm pretty sure I could tell you how it drives compared to a well-sorted NA '05.

The color is relatively rare BTW and looks great. Mileage is a bit high but nothing to get wound up about.

[SOLD] 2005 Lotus Elise, NFB with orange trim N/A+ Nitron DA's+gPan+little tiny Odyssey battery++ Lotus Sport seats+ DBA 5000's/Stainless++Lotus Sport wheels ++ V2 stuff like gas tank, arms ++Track pack harness bar/6pt++2Bular GT3 and sport cat++ quick release and a few steering wheels++ custom rear delete++ Magical Racing mirrors with custom mounts ++ RTD brace ++ toe link upgrade++ other little stuff
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 11:54 AM

Try sending a pm to ithurtus. He is in Houston and may look at it for you.

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. It seems like andy will be able to look at it for me. I'll update this thread with how it goes.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 12:54 PM
Closer than you think

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Never buy one of these cars sight unseen....I don't even trust pictures.
I totally disagree. A few folks in Socal might have the luxury to visit multiple sellers in person, but the rest of us have to be more practical. This doesn't mean that you should just look at a snapshot with the seller's description and click "buy it now" either. Buying at a distance requires lots of communication and due diligence. If a seller doesn't cooperate fully with all your reasonable requests, or if he doesn't check out, or seems the least bit shady, just walk away.

Many of us have purchased our Loti from far away with great results.

2005 BRP Elise Sport, Hardtop, Stage 2 Exhaust, CF side scoops, CF splitter, Composite Worx seats, gunmetal stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Texas Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in