Anyone near Tyler to help inspect an Elise? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
JSC
Where's the onramp?

Anyone near Tyler to help inspect an Elise?

There's an elise in Jacksonville TX near Tyler I'm interested in. Is there anyone near there that could help check it out? Or recommend a local mechanic?

The dealer in Plano won't even do a pre-purchase inspection due to "liability".

Thanks, Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 10:14 AM

The place I took mine to for PPI is in Denton Texas. Not close to Tyler, but neither is Plano...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
JSC
Where's the onramp?

Anyone near Tyler TX?

Getting closer to a deal on an elise near Tyler TX, anyone around that area that could help me check this car out Would be greatly appreciated!
Thx, Jeff

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 12:22 PM

I'd be cautious if the dealer refuses to do a ppi. Did you offer to pay for it?

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
JSC
Where's the onramp?

Inspecting Private owner elise

Well the elise is for sale by the original owner, 13k miles, clean carfax, sounds good from my discussions with him, and pics look good. He is located in Jacksonville Texas and there doesn't seem to be much around there, I was planning on flying out there next week to drive and hopefully buy it.

I was just looking for someone in the lotus sphere, or someplace nearby that he would be willing to take it for an inspection before I plunk down the cash. He said initially he had a mechanic who has never worked on the elise that could probably do it, but he doesn't want it put up on a lift, he's done his own oil changes. I get it, he doesn't want the car messed up by someone not familiar with it, and neither would I, but that leaves me to assess it alone and buy it on my own instincts and driving impressions.

I'd be driving it a couple hours to Austin and then shipping it back to fl. Oil line and ecu recall eligible but not done, nor radiator fluid replaced, tires replaced once, no info on brakes, pads, etc.

What do you think?

What about these national inspection companies, are they worth anything at all?

thanks, Jeff
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 06:05 AM
not your dad's puns

I wouldn't trust those inspection companies, I'm sure they specialize in "appliance" grade vehicles, not our unique little roadsters.

So you'll only be driving it a few hundred miles to Austin? You do know Dallas is closer? Is your shipper making you do that?

As long as the tires are decent, and there's some way to visually inspect the oil line fittings, I would even consider driving it straight back to FL.

FWIW I drove mine several hundred miles back to Dallas, also without the recall work done, no issues.

because racecar
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
JSC
Where's the onramp?

Oh I have a good friend in Austin so I planned to stop there over the weekend before I either drive it home or ship it. But this is a lot of cash for me to pay for a 9 year old car, its probably fine but I'm stepping back until I can figure out a way to get a proper inspection. Thanks for the advise.
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Texas Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in