Lotus Cup Challenge Series - Texas? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Lotus Cup Challenge Series - Texas?

Back in 2008 I tried to get the Lotus Cup challenge series to run down here in Texas. A lot of people signed up initially but it was mostly crickets in the night when it came to commitment time.
There is talk about possibly trying it again in 2015. The series is currently running on the west and east coast and there is discussion of getting it going in the south-east area.
As much as I hear about people tracking their cars is there anyone intrested in giving the LCS a go?

If you would seriously consider it send an email to the gent below and give him your thoughts. It could be a lot of fun.
Robbie Montinola | Series President
[p] 510.325.6154 [e] [email protected] [w] Lotus Cup USA

Al B.
2008 2-11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Tire abuser

Garage
That would be AWESOME! I would definitely be IN.... for a ticket to watch.

Yes, a fair number of us track our cars, but that is a long way from actually building a race car and going wheel to wheel. I hope there are enough in the South to make it happen. There would be a lot of us that would help (grid, flags, etc..). I wonder how many actual cars they need to make it happen here?

'06 Arctic Silver Elise | Touring |Traction Control |Supercharged | ST exhaust | Nitron singles | BWR anti-sway bar | RTD brace | V2 Arms | SS brake lines | Harness bar and Schroth harnesses | sys.6.pack |shifter reinforced | Ultralite lines | cup air box | Sport inserts | DBW Pedals | TALLrails | Team Dynamics 1.2's | TOC Oil Pan | ProRad | FW Torque tune | BOE surge tank and catch can | Radium Clam Kit
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 04:42 AM

Would like to learn more.

Do they have a time trials class/group (ie not wheel to wheel)

The web site Lotus Cup USA

Does not give a lot of information ---

Thanks

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ron, Jefrac,

For starters, not all is wheel to wheel. They have different classes for TT, W toW and DE. Go to LCS and check out the details.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 05:52 AM
Tire abuser

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
Ron, Jefrac,

For starters, not all is wheel to wheel. They have different classes for TT, W toW and DE. Go to LCS and check out the details.
Oh, hmmm... I see that now. That would be really fun. I would jump into TT for sure and try to convince a few others to try it. I will send that e-mail to Robbie.

Thanks Al

'06 Arctic Silver Elise | Touring |Traction Control |Supercharged | ST exhaust | Nitron singles | BWR anti-sway bar | RTD brace | V2 Arms | SS brake lines | Harness bar and Schroth harnesses | sys.6.pack |shifter reinforced | Ultralite lines | cup air box | Sport inserts | DBW Pedals | TALLrails | Team Dynamics 1.2's | TOC Oil Pan | ProRad | FW Torque tune | BOE surge tank and catch can | Radium Clam Kit
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 08:49 AM
BANNED

I'm in...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 05:53 PM

Correct... We could start out with an HPDE / TT type format first to build participation and get the Lotus community together. In time, we foresee the events morphing into wheel-to-wheel racing but that takes time. Our series out West started with track days, then TT, and eventually a full blown, 20-35 car grid of Lotus racecars.

Robbie

Lotus Cup USA | Series Director | www.lotuscupusa.us
Montinola Racing | www.montinola.com
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 07:00 PM

Wonder what the annual running cost would be to field a respectable car. I would love to do something like that, but i would imagine the up-front cost and ongoing cost would be pretty eye-watering.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontinolaRacing View Post
Correct... We could start out with an HPDE / TT type format first to build participation and get the Lotus community together.

Robbie
Sounds appealing...I would definitely be in for HPDE. It would be a lot more fun chasing another Lotus around the track.
And even though I have never timed myself on the track, I might be even be coaxed into giving TT a try just for fun.

Cosworth short block, BOE Rev 400, Cometic Head Gasket 11.5:1, JCR Head with BOE Spec Porting, A/C Delete, BOE Surge Tank, ACT HDSS Clutch,BOE TOC Oil Pan, BOE HP Radiator, BOE Front Mount HEX, BOE Rear Mounted Oil Cooler System and Fan, Larini 4:1 Header, BOE Featherweight Exhaust, Nitron DA, Gut Sport Front Splitter, Difflow 5 Element Diffuser and Aeroplates, 5 point harnesses, BMW bolts, Yellow painted calipers, Jim Clayton Tow Hook, Rear Tow Hook, Visor Delete, Halon Fire Extinguisher.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 03:29 AM

I am in --- Sounds like a lot of fun!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 06:52 AM

Garage
Let me know when and where and I'll come watch! And maybe work a corner..

2008 Infiniti G37s
2014 BMW X6
2001 Purple Lotus Esprit
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texevora View Post
Wonder what the annual running cost would be to field a respectable car. I would love to do something like that, but i would imagine the up-front cost and ongoing cost would be pretty eye-watering.
Out West... our Production class (which is an N/A Elise with strict ruleset) is very cost effective in the grand scheme of racing. Guys are building full racecars for 40k including the purchase of the car. Race weekend costs are variable, but a set of tires is $1300, entry fees are $699, and consumables. Prep and maintenance are easy as well. Then trackside support and coaching if you desire. Very similar to racing a competitive spec miata, doing an arrive-and-drive series like Skip Barber or Sim Raceway (Jim Russell), etc.

Feel free to email or call me if you're interested in learning more...

Lotus Cup USA | Series Director | www.lotuscupusa.us
Montinola Racing | www.montinola.com
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 12:45 PM

I'm in.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Tire abuser

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusninja View Post
I'm in.
It's about time.... I was gong to have to drive by your house in the middle of the night and rev the motor a few times.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefrac View Post
It's about time.... I was gong to have to drive by your house in the middle of the night and rev the motor a few times.
That would have been warranted in this case.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 07:50 AM

I like the idea...would have to talk to wife

My Prelude rebuild.
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=256458

2008 Lotus Elise | Storm TI | Touring Pack | A/C Insulation Mod | Aluminum Carpet Buttons | JBL GTO Series Speakers | Alpine iDA_X100 | GRP Trunk Strut | darthHOLDER | re-ENFORCER | BOE TOC Oil Pan | Pro Alloy Rad | BOE Toe Links
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 06:59 AM

I'll try to read more when I am not on a phone but I would be highly interested in TT and HPDE.

Click links to see my 2008 Lotus Exige-S 240 , '99 M3, 505rwhp '89 Mustang ( sold) , '05 WRX STI ( sold) homepages or here for my spin compilations (ispunuwin & ispinuwin2!)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Texas Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in