The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Lotus vs Honda (x2). Honda wins.

10K views 63 replies 35 participants last post by  mjf 
#1 ·
I was stopped on 635E between Preston and Hillcrest this morning in a long line getting onto the high 5. The silver Honda behind me just didn't stop. A few go's and stops prior, he actually ended up on the shoulder because he was hitting the gas and breaking late. :( For some reason that alone was not enough for him to get the picture that he was driving like a tard.

Stuff of note:
Right side door would not open. Right back tire is bent out and would not turn. Engine would not turn over. Battery stayed connected to wires, but was on the right side of the trunk. Trunk won't close. New Tires have 50 miles on them. Had my insurance papers inside the Mesh behind the driver's seat before the wreck. After the wreck, nothing was inside the Mesh as the impact threw everything out.

I'm fine, just really sore. Dr said I would be extra sore tomorrow.

Totalled? :crazyeyes

This is the damage on the silver honda:

This is the damage on the white honda accord in front of me:

Flickr link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffandlaura/sets/72157600325511214/

See less See more
#4 ·
Thats fixeable... But might be totalled out due to the expensiveness of the clams and other parts

#6 ·
If it were just the clams they'd prolly fix it, but by the looks of things the front crash structure is most likely damaged and if that's the case I bet they total it. I think your insurance settlement should include getting to beat the other driver with a sack of oranges, but that's just me.

#9 ·
Mine was totaled, the damage to the front of your car looks almost the same as mine, and you have rear damage on top of that! So...

Mine: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48254&highlight=wrecked

They totaled it due to the cost of repair, my frame was fine... I'd say since you have rear damage too it's gone - but then again they ruled mine totaled due to the high salvage value and since your rear clam is gone it's not worth as much so they may benefit by repairing....

But my guess is the cost to repair > total - salvage costs

Sorry to see another one go, I know it sucks man... just make sure your insurance company is aware of the factory options you had on your car, bumped up my settlement a couple extra thousand because they hadn't accounted for them at first

#12 ·
So, now that you are fine and walked away, what are you going to name the next one?

#14 ·
My wife is upset because she only drove it a few times before getting pregnant. She was looking forward to taking it out once in awhile after we deliver( eta 1-2 wks). Also, her Dad offered his car to us until we get this sorted out. While that's very generous, the car is an Accord. Oh the irony.

I forgot to mention a few details from the scene:
Policeman #1 asks me as we survey the damage in the rear, "Who makes this car?"

Policeman #2 tells the guy who caused the accident that, "these cars cost $200k!" The driver then tells me he only has 100k in insurance and that he just knows I'm going to sue for the rest.

#20 ·
What a bummer! So sorry to hear about your car. I live in the middle of nowhere with very few traffic jams and find myself constantly veering away from other drivers as they take 4 and 5 looks at my car while veering into my lane. Even have people pulling along side me taking pics with their camera phones and swerving into my lane. Sure this guy wasnt taking a picture of your car with his camera phone causing the accident? Almost got rear ended at a stoplight by some fool taking a pic of my car with his cell phone. I stay in a constant state of defense and watch cars behind me and along my sides. I couldnt imagine driving an Elise in a big city with huge traffic jams and high volumes of traffic. And what is it about those fools that just love to race from a mile behind to see your car on the highway and then just ride your bumper at 80mph? I shake 'em loose with more throttle and just walk away from them since the car can go from 80 to 110 in a heartbeat. Most folks dont stick around after 100 mph.

#24 ·
Today I went to the boby shop to get more pictures and pick up some items I left in the car.

Here is a picture of the back right tire.

It seems that backing off the flatbed completely turned it around.
Might have just popped the toe link then - did you happen to have a look underneath?

#25 ·
I do not think that the toe link is the only thing broken. That wheel is severley displaced in camber AND toe. This really sucks. I was waiting in the 635 eastbound line to the HW75 "high-five" exit just Sunday evening myself.

xtn

#26 ·
Ouch. Sorry for your loss man! On the bright side, that is what insurance is for! Too bad you might have to wait a little while to drive your baby, but the baby about to come into your life should keep you plenty busy. Congrats on that BTW!:clap:

#27 · (Edited)
Trunk

Pictures from/around back right tire. The tire was in the way so I took what I could.
Pic1
Pic2
Pic3
Pic4
Pic5
Pic6 Looking from the back towards to right back tire.
Pic7
Pic8
Pic9
Pic10
Pic11

Pic12 Inside the front clam. Stuck camera were the right headlight used to be.
Pic13 Close up of front right
Pic14 more front, needs a good Detail I know...rotfl

Those are all hi-res. Flickr has lower res versions.

#30 ·
Pictures from/around back right tire. The tire was in the way so I took what I could.
IMG 084 tells me it's either totalled or a chassis swap - damaged chassis.

#32 ·
It's premature without having eyes on it but...

The outside edge of that extrusion, where the front inner edge of the wheel made contact, should be straight and it's bent out a bit. I'm seeing some clean adhesive on the inside of that joint, so it looks like it has been pushed out and started to tear apart at the bond.

Guessing... but that scuff looks like a fulcrum spot where the wheel became a lever and pulled on the A-arms and everything else.

If I'm seeing it right, that extrusion is the end cap to the chassis rail where the galvanized subframe is bolted to the front section of the chassis.

The clean adhesive was the thing that stuck out first and foremost to me - it's a much brighter orange in that photo than the bit that squeezed out below it and has been exposed.

The inboard side of the extrusion doesn't look bent so I'd guess that the outside edge went out and forward a bit and the whole subframe is cocked ever so slightly.

My .02

#33 ·
Cody probably already had the whole scenario modeled in Solidworks before you even had the accident.

xtn

PS - And you should know that his $.02 is worth at least $.15.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.