Move to Texas??? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Move to Texas???

well, planing on moving some place out of ny.. most likely CT, most of my family lives out there, but wanted to see other options, with better weather lol.. so how is it living in Texas? which parts should i be looking at.. hows the weather.. saw that dispite the bad economy, texas employment rate rose 2.2%.. currently i work for time warner.. sooner or later i will like to open a gym and also get into doing body work and painting cars... since the fire department over here is going down the drain (they are cutting the class that i would most likely be in) i was also thinking about that..

so just looking for some insite on different areas to live in, economy, housing coast etc... i was also looking at arizona..
thanks for ya help..

mike

steel grey 04' neon srt4 low boost 360hp 400ft lbs.... here for the love of the Elise, Exige and gaining the knowledge before I can get my own...

my car.. https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f152...ny-pics-62883/

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f152...on-some-70889/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 06:03 PM

Close to Heaven

Cokey,

It doesn't really matter, although I am partial to San Antonio, whether you come to Houston, Dallas, Austin or San Antonio, or even the Rio Grande Valley. I have been there, lived there and loved it. Texas is as close to Heaven as I will ever get.

Or as my friend from Indy told me earlier this year, " I love the Hill Countyr, it's like one big race track".

Good luck where ever you end up. Anywhere in the Southwest is good. Texas is best.

FastFred

FastFred
2013 Evora S IPS Motorsport Black/Gold Stripes
'05 Elise LRG /Biscuit , Sport Pack, Touring Pack, Sold
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 06:22 PM

Texas? go to 3:28 of the video clip...

YouTube - Full Metal Jacket: Boot Camp

Brunton Stalker, LS3 powered
5/8th Scale Lotus 7, Series 2

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 06:26 PM

I moved down to San Antonio about 1 1/2 ago years from Michigan and love it. The weather is great year round. Unemployment is low and house prices are very affordable (around $75-80 sq/ft). I'm hoping that I don't have to leave.

2005 SY-REV310 Supercharger, clam hinge, 2bular 8" single tip exhaust, 2bular header, Ohlin Double Adjustables, RTDbrace, Custom Kirkey 58 Series seats, Schroth 6 pt. harnesses, Multivex mirrors, Race battery, Micromirror, HID's, V2arms, Sparco removeable steering wheel, Volk CE28N's with Hoosier R7's, Pagid RS 14 pads, Cup airbox, catch cans, Ultradiscs, gPan, splitter, canards, Reverie wing, 6 element diffuser, proRad
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 06:39 PM

I live out in the Houston NE suburbs and I love it....Great fishing and hunting state if you like that as well. I live right near a lake and I love to fish plus you have the gulf coast of you want to go for something off-shore. Here's one I caught last weekend.

Housing is cheap and your right about employment, I was just commenting today on how many "now hiring" signs I see out...the dang check out line at Best Buy today was around the corner into the video games section. Economy seems to be doing at least okay here. And to top it off, the people are generally friendly and you shouldnt have much trouble making new friends.

Good luck with your search!

2006 Elise - Chili Red - VF Supercharged and Intercooled Stg 3 - Custom tuned by CharlieX - 2.9" Pulley - Walbro 255 - RC 550cc's - Black Badges - Red Inserts - Grey RAC Monolites - Toyo R888's - South Bend SS-TZ - Fidanza Flywheel - FF CF front spoiler - Craftsquare CF Mirrors - Reverie CF Diffuser - 5" 2bular Ultra - PPE 4-1 FI Header w/ Decat - VonHep Rear Panel - Innovate XD-16/LC-1 - Mr.C Radar Mount - Clutch Travel Mod - Shifter Bolt Mod - re-ENFORCER - A/C Panel Mod - Odessey PC625
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 06:49 PM

Did anyone mention we just had a track weekend two weeks ago and are scheduled all the way into February thus far?

Oh, twas short sleeve weather today too!
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordZ View Post
Did anyone mention we just had a track weekend two weeks ago and are scheduled all the way into February thus far?

Oh, twas short sleeve weather today too!
Whatcha talking about, Ive been at the track the last 3 weekends..

2007 Exige S - Chili Red
2009 Mini Cooper S - Chili Red
Gotham 265, Nitron Sport Pro, Moroso oil pan, RTVBrace, Volk CE28N/R888, Cup Wheels/A048, 2Bular Ultra 4", Rapfix II w/ Sparco P300, S111 CF Splitter, Ultradiscs, Pagid RS42, V-Force Harness Bar, Schroth PROFI II, Fire Extinguisher, Folding Tow Hook, Odyssey PC680, re-ENFORCER, LLumar 30% tint, Traqmate, DashDAQ, Chasecam, Alpine IVA-D100 w/ Backup Camera.
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 06:59 PM

Yea, but I don't do cold AND wet. I'm still too green for that.
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 07:09 PM

We have no income tax, a balanced budget and Austin is definitely the garden spot though San Antonio is second. Austin typically votes Democrat if that is a big deal for you. Texas is a big state and different parts have a completely different feel, topography and culture.
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 07:13 PM

I would suggest living near one of the major towns in Texas. Not in the middle-of-nowhere Texas. All the roads are straight around here, not the same as in hill country, or so I'm told.

Nightfall Blue, Biscuit Interior, Hardtop

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings...
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMike View Post
Texas? go to 3:28 of the video clip...

YouTube - Full Metal Jacket: Boot Camp

ha.. yea i know that whole scene by heart

good insite guys.. as some of you may know, i'm also part of srtforums. asking same ?s around there.. some diff answers from diff people.. i'm a drag racer now but road course guy at heart.. just not into it yet out here.. soon will be though.. yes, texas is pretty big.. i'm not big into politics so it doesn't run any part of my life.. use to go fishing a lot when my pops was alive, he passed back in 2000.. haven't been since..

i wouldn't mind the suburbs much.. city life i'm use to, could do with out all the noise.. i'll be making enough of that my self.. want a nice house, 2 flrs, didn't see much of that yet, nice big garage or no zoning laws on building my own..

so keep the info coming.. its gonna be a hard decision since it's life changing..

steel grey 04' neon srt4 low boost 360hp 400ft lbs.... here for the love of the Elise, Exige and gaining the knowledge before I can get my own...

post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 07:31 PM

Austin is the place to live in Texas. Other than that, I'd live elsewhere, like California.

2006 Elise, Ardent Red, Black Pack, LSS wheels, shocks and springs.
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 07:35 PM

Outside of any of the major cities you could build whatever you wanted to. Houston in general has no zoning laws, but hoa's you would have to look out for.

You can go 10-15mins from a major highway in Houston and be backwoods country. Just got to drive around to find a spot you really like. DFW is a nice area too, amazingly it seemed more city life to me than the outskirts of Houston. Had to drive a ways to get good land away from it all.

Anything between Austin, Houston, DFW and you would be good I think. Don't go way out west, nothing there. Too far east and you get into hillbilly territory too. I think the Cajun's are slowly invading from Lousiana....
post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 07:35 PM

I don't live in Texas, but frequently travel there. Love San Antonio and Austin. If I had to pick one or the other, it would be San Antonio. It's a big city with a small-town feel.

Brunton Stalker, LS3 powered
5/8th Scale Lotus 7, Series 2
post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mackey View Post
Austin is the place to live in Texas. Other than that, I'd live elsewhere, like California.
Of course! Its gotta be an Austin guy to start the whole "my city is better thans yours..."

Haha, yes Austin is a great town...but most any nice suburb around the big cities is going to be an awesome place to live...and probably a lot less expensive than Austin.

I was born in San Antonio, but I prefer to be closer to the coast and further east...and strangely enough even though I'm from San Antonio it isnt in my top 5 places to live in TX.

2006 Elise - Chili Red - VF Supercharged and Intercooled Stg 3 - Custom tuned by CharlieX - 2.9" Pulley - Walbro 255 - RC 550cc's - Black Badges - Red Inserts - Grey RAC Monolites - Toyo R888's - South Bend SS-TZ - Fidanza Flywheel - FF CF front spoiler - Craftsquare CF Mirrors - Reverie CF Diffuser - 5" 2bular Ultra - PPE 4-1 FI Header w/ Decat - VonHep Rear Panel - Innovate XD-16/LC-1 - Mr.C Radar Mount - Clutch Travel Mod - Shifter Bolt Mod - re-ENFORCER - A/C Panel Mod - Odessey PC625
post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 07:45 PM

I'm no expert on Texas but I lived in the Dallas area for a couple years many years ago. The one thing people from other states have to keep in mind is the size of Texas. Hell I think the Dallas Fort Worth area is as big as Connecticut.

It's more like another country as opposed to a state. I felt like I was on an island in Dallas. It was at least a 4 hour drive to anything other than Fort Worth. Since you're from the Northeast where another state, the beach, the mountains are all an hour or so away this might be a big change for you.

As an example going from San Antonio to Dallas is like going from Washington DC to Boston. Everything's bigger in Texas. Not a bad thing but a whole lot different than the Northeast. I love going to Austin or San Antonio but I don't know if I want to live there.
post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

a friend of mine lives in humble. hes originally from the bronx too. think he went out there to open up his own shop.

post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 06:06 AM

Another vote for Austin. San Antonio is MUCH more humid than Austin, Houston and Dallas are just to big and flat. Austin is also more progressive (less pronounced guns & religion), San Antonio, Houston and Dallas still have a bit of growing up do in that regard.

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance."
-- Laurence J. Peter
post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 06:46 AM
www.theapexinn.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotto View Post
I moved down to San Antonio about 1 1/2 ago years from Michigan and love it. The weather is great year round. Unemployment is low and house prices are very affordable (around $75-80 sq/ft). I'm hoping that I don't have to leave.
It's been that long already ?? 'Cmon... you miss the 10 inches of snow we're getting right now.....and your Elise never gets a break...it has to be out all year....mine gets to hibernate for 6 months....!!

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 06:53 AM

Somebody else said it - Texas is like another country. It has almost something for everybody - just depends on what you like. Do you want to be near the coast ? Dop you want a rural life ? Do you want a job ? In general, housing is excellent value and somebody told me a disproportionate share of all new jobs in the USA are created in Texas although that may be changing now with the low prices of oil and gas. I am a British expat living in Houston - I like the cosmopolitan nature of Houston - there are all nationalities here, great food, lots of museums, events and things to do. There is also a nice Lotus club who organize regular track days in the Houston vicinity. The only thing I don't like about Houston is the tropical climate in the summer but the fall/winter/spring is really nice - no place is perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Texas Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in