Move to Texas??? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 07:38 AM

Garage
I moved from Los Angeles to Houston "Fort Bend County" 3 years now and I love it here.

'05 Lotus Elise Magnetic Blue
'02 Toyota MR-2 Spyder
'17 Mazda Miata MX-5 RF
'19 Acura RDX A-Specs
'09 Mini Cooper S

Tech Library!
http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Category:S2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
Another vote for Austin. San Antonio is MUCH more humid than Austin, Houston and Dallas are just to big and flat. Austin is also more progressive (less pronounced guns & religion), San Antonio, Houston and Dallas still have a bit of growing up do in that regard.
You'd think, but one of the most highly regarded AR-15 accessory/part manufacturers is based out of Austin.

The up side:
Cheap housing, decent job market, simple incorporation and business rules, no state income tax, warm to hot climate, pragmatic gun laws, libertarian culture, practically non-existent alimony.

The down side:
The largest church in the US is here (16k seats in Houston) and some that don't even rank still look like sporting arenas (no, I'm not kidding), Dallas has a money-based culture, dating in Dallas sucks.

torque (trk) n. - an excuse for the lack of momentum.
- let's bring back CanAm & Group B!
- have you hugged your Exige today?
I'm currently working on my performance driving merit badge.
There's always somebody faster, sometimes it's me.
post #23 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codymac
Dallas has a money-based culture, dating in Dallas sucks.

Yeah, but the girls are pretty.

Having grown up in California, I prefer Texas. Its just an easier place to live, and generally less attitude. I don't know if the housing is "cheap" but I bought a house just out of downtown dallas that would have cost 4 - 5 times as much near any semi large california town.

Last edited by Mr. Know; 12-31-2008 at 09:17 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag

post #24 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

well i dnt have to worry bout dating since ill be bringing mines lol.. love the gun laws, i wld like to start collecting..

steel grey 04' neon srt4 low boost 360hp 400ft lbs.... here for the love of the Elise, Exige and gaining the knowledge before I can get my own...

my car.. https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f152...ny-pics-62883/

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f152...on-some-70889/
post #25 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper View Post
Quote:
Dallas has a money-based culture, dating in Dallas sucks.
Yeah, but the girls are pretty.

Having grown up in California, I prefer Texas. Its just an easier place to live, and generally less attitude. I don't know if the housing is "cheap" but I bought a house just out of downtown dallas that would have cost 4 - 5 times as much near any semi large california town.
Dallas is much more "douchey" than Austin, San Antonio or Houston.

Fort Worth has a more laid back feel.

I lived in Houston for 14 years and won't go back. Hurricanes, stupid levels of humidity, SPRAWL (takes an hour to get anywhere!).

I like Austin and San Antonio and wouldn't have a problem living in either place.

I'm in one of the northern Dallas suburbs and it's, different. Average income is like 80k, so people act weird sometimes (not very down to earth).

Just FYI there is a LOT of migration from the east coast and west coast here to Texas (for various reasons). This has lead Texas to becoming more and more liberal. Don't come here thinking that it's all guns and shootin' and daisy dukes. It can be that if you want it, but most people in the suburbs are just like everyone else -- normal.

ETA (since I forgot the first time): Housing here is great. 4,000sf+ new construction houses for $200k.

ETA2: In Dallas there are 6-8 very nice road course tracks within a 20 minute to 4-5 hour drive. We also have a super active autocross community, so if you wanted, you could be on the track almost every weekend.
post #26 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 11:44 AM

Garage
I worked my way out here after college and don't regret it a bit. Started my trek across the river from New York City.
Regardless of which local you might choose, there's a little bit of something for everyone.
Much more relaxed overall than anywhere in the north east. People will take the time to stop and talk if you say hello.
The local food is excellent and in Houston there are more resturants catering to every kind of persuasion than you can shake a stick at.
The cultural scene is as diverse as it can be.
It's a big state and you can pick your local to suit your likes and dislikes as needed. The employment situation is overall pretty good and the variety of buisnesses helps to keep unemployment figures lower than most of the other49.
If you are from the N.Y., N.J. area, you'll have to get adjusted to the idea of no mass transit and to get anywhere takes a bit of time. Also, it takes hours to get to the next state not just a hop on the Path.
Since you would be bringing your own I will only say that the comments about the Texas gals is 100% accurate.
From one yankee to another, you would not regret the move. Go west young man!
post #27 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 11:51 AM

Austin --- Great

San Antonio --- Good

Everywhere else but Houston ---Mhe, I guess, if your not picky.

Houston --- Hell. Flat, boring, the same Home Depot and Gentlemen's club at every off-ramp.

My car both sucks and blows.

Now with added all natural smoky goodness!
post #28 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtr View Post
Austin --- Great

San Antonio --- Good

Everywhere else but Houston ---Mhe, I guess, if your not picky.

Houston --- Hell. Flat, boring, the same Home Depot and Gentlemen's club at every off-ramp.
slaughtr,

If you haven't been to those other towns in a while gueess what, the exit ramps there are exactly the same, just not as flat. Biggest difference is we have more of them for better area coverage
post #29 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:46 PM

Yeah, Houston is flat, has ugly scenery, the traffic sucks, and is being over run by illegals but there is one of the best membership track deals in the US at MSRH.

'05 Storm Titanium / Red
post #30 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
slaughtr,

If you haven't been to those other towns in a while gueess what, the exit ramps there are exactly the same, just not as flat. Biggest difference is we have more of them for better area coverage
I was there a couple of months ago. At least you guys do have the most gentlemen's clubs per capita in the U.S.

My car both sucks and blows.

Now with added all natural smoky goodness!
post #31 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 01:14 PM

Houston is a great place to live, it sucks from the freeway but there are lots of good areas. In the summer you can find an autocross nearly every weekend. That being said austin is definately the best place to live in texas, it just doesent have as many job opportunities....

Seriously, my car is small
07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
05 Saffron Yellow "bumbleBee", on to a new owner
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
post #32 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 01:36 AM

Another ex-pat Brit; been in Richmond since '96, and retired here out of choice. Guess I like it here!
post #33 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 01:55 AM

Glad I found this thread as I've also been contemplating moving to Texas in the future. I would like to live on the east side some where from all that I've heard. Good hunting there and lots of wild boar. (I have an arsenal) Would also like to live in an area where I won't have neighbors for a good mile or so yet be with in 30 mins of a city or large town for shopping and work. Also what is required for state residency and to get a drivers license there? I would like to become a resident there now while I'm still working in Japan as my current state both sucks and blows.
post #34 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 03:04 AM

As an "old-guy," I've lived significant periods of time in the Raleigh-Durham, NC; Austin, TX, San Francisco, CA; Minneapolis, MN, and Washington, DC-metro areas. Austin wins hands-down because of sheer beauty, climate, great quality of life . . . it offers virtually everything one could want!!

I'd move back in a nanosecond, if my line of peculiar line of work would allow it.
post #35 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 05:09 AM

I second the opinions about austin. I live in Dallas for work, but I visit Austin often for music or just to get away. If I could live anywhere in texas without concern for my job it would be Austin. It reminds me alot of growing up in Santa Cruz, except no beach and less annoying hippies. It would be great if it had a beach, but I got tired of the hippies, my brother included.
post #36 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
Also what is required for state residency and to get a drivers license there? I would like to become a resident there now while I'm still working in Japan as my current state both sucks and blows.
Basically you need to have a residence. I'll rent you one of the rooms in my house if you want. BTW, I spent 5.5 years in Okinawa.

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance."
-- Laurence J. Peter
post #37 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

good insite guys.. thanks.. yea, guess a big chunk of this comes down to job.. since i do work for TWC. i might just start out doing that.. i should be able to transfer.. then look for something better as time goes by.. keep them coming guys..

steel grey 04' neon srt4 low boost 360hp 400ft lbs.... here for the love of the Elise, Exige and gaining the knowledge before I can get my own...

my car.. https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f152...ny-pics-62883/

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f152...on-some-70889/
post #38 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
Basically you need to have a residence. I'll rent you one of the rooms in my house if you want. BTW, I spent 5.5 years in Okinawa.
That would be excellent... When were you on Okinawa? I've been here since 1994 and I'm starting my 15th year. I'm definitely here until 2012, but may move back after that.
post #39 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 07:20 AM

Didn't read any of the posts above.

Texas rocks! I lived in Austin for a short while, and so far it's been my favorite place to live!

"Any car which holds together for more than a race is
too heavy" - Colin Chapman
-07 Chevy HHR
-08 Kawasaki Concours 14
-09 Buell XB12Scg - GOT IT FOR HALF PRICE!
Looking for a Lotus!
post #40 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 07:25 AM

I loved San Antonio, though when I went down there for a week to stay with a girl, it both was sunny and stormy. I hope to be moving down to New Mexico or Texas sometime next year, but way things are looking I might be stuck in Washington where there is only two seasons, Winter and July. Owning both the Lotus and a Motorcycle with little Ranger as a daily driver and the wife with a station wagon we really don't fit in with the huge SUV's and lifted Trucks that dominate the roads here. How I wish I could be riding my motorcycle to work. Its nice during the summer you get to see some pretty nice cars pop out of no where just cruisin and the scenery can be pretty beautiful but it doesn't even out IMHO.

2005 Lotus Elise
2007 Honda VFR800A
2004 Mitsubishi Sportback
1993 Ford Ranger
2000 Husqvarna (British Lawn Mower Racing)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Texas Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in