Move to Texas??? - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 11:30 AM
xtn

Your only problem might be the fact that all Texans have taken an oath to shoot Time Warner employees or ex-employees on sight. We're sick and tired of their screwed up combo-service billings.

xtn

2006 McLareghini Bugatterrari, Storm Titanium... installed: air horn, Scroth 4-point ASM harnesses, Sector111 halon extinguisher and mounting bracket, Von Hep exhaust and rear panel delete, Pagid brake pads, red Volks CE28n wheels, Toyo RA-1 tires, Nitron SA coilovers, Sector111 (WorksBell) quick-disconnect steering wheel kit. awaiting installation: Scroth "pull-up" lap belts, Sector111 RTD Brace, Tony's heater bypass mod, and dropped steering rack mounting plates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 12:04 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
there is one of the best membership track deals in the US at MSRH.
Not that MSRH isn't a fun track, MSR-Cresson (in DFW) is more of a Elise/Exige course layout, any of the configs. I thank Jack everyday for spearheaded the business model this for us, esp in TX.

Also, if you want a hp course, ECR (in Decatur) is a hop-skip in the DFW area (bring good brakes). If you want a course with unforgiving runoff and punishment on you brakes, TMS Roval can give you that. Lastly, DFW is only 4 hrs away from Hallet (in Tulsa), another Loti oriented course.

cokey, good luck on wherever you land...

-Fists of the Red Lotus-
2002 S4 MaD wAgOn, 2003 Golf TDI "Fuel Tank on Wheels", 2005 Ardent Red Lotus Cartoon Car, Sport Pack , Hard Top, Quicksilver RIP, 2bular 6" Ultra Thru , DBA rotors , BADARAONES, ekological HIDs, Fidanza+South Bend, proRAD, SportInserts
http://www.thedriversedge.net/, http://www.apexdrivingacademy.com/
Founding Member of Coolant U-Tube WTF?
post #43 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAUDI View Post
Not that MSRH isn't a fun track, MSR-Cresson (in DFW) is more of a Elise/Exige course layout, any of the configs. I thank Jack everyday for spearheaded the business model this for us, esp in TX.

Also, if you want a hp course, ECR (in Decatur) is a hop-skip in the DFW area (bring good brakes). If you want a course with unforgiving runoff and punishment on you brakes, TMS Roval can give you that. Lastly, DFW is only 4 hrs away from Hallet (in Tulsa), another Loti oriented course.

cokey, good luck on wherever you land...
You forgot H2R and TWS.

post #44 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 12:52 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
You forgot H2R and TWS.
Yeah, I've heard H2R is fairly technical, look forward to figuring it out one of these days. TWS is obviously a fun course, don't know why that one slipped my mind...

-Fists of the Red Lotus-
2002 S4 MaD wAgOn, 2003 Golf TDI "Fuel Tank on Wheels", 2005 Ardent Red Lotus Cartoon Car, Sport Pack , Hard Top, Quicksilver RIP, 2bular 6" Ultra Thru , DBA rotors , BADARAONES, ekological HIDs, Fidanza+South Bend, proRAD, SportInserts
http://www.thedriversedge.net/, http://www.apexdrivingacademy.com/
Founding Member of Coolant U-Tube WTF?
post #45 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 06:20 AM

Another vote for Austin (you'll find that the only people more proud of their home than Texans are Austinites. We're annoying as Hell.)

Tracks:
* The Driveway is local (though not open to public)
* 30 min to H2R
* 1.5 hours to TWS
* 2 hours to MSR
* 2.5 hours to MSRH
* 2.5 hours to TMS

Plus we are in the middle of the beautiful Texas Hill Country (Houston and Dallas are 200 miles away from it). Forbes recently voted Austin "Best Bang for the Buck" in the US. And they voted us the #3 best place to be single.

Oh, and I'm wearing short sleeves today.
post #46 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

hey i wear short sleves in this weather too.. with a light jacket lol.. prob have to go shirtless in the damn texas heat.. lol.. yea austin is looking good from other research we are doing.. thanks a bunch guys..

steel grey 04' neon srt4 low boost 360hp 400ft lbs.... here for the love of the Elise, Exige and gaining the knowledge before I can get my own...

my car.. https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f152...ny-pics-62883/

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f152...on-some-70889/
post #47 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 08:52 AM

Lived in Texas almost my entire life, spending the last 5 years in god forsaken Los Angeles

Texas =
TONS of space to LIVE
Cheaper real estate, more for your money
NO STATE INCOME TAX
NO STATE INCOME TAX
Also
NO STATE INCOME TAX

But seriously, it's a huge state, the cities have space to breathe and PARK your car....your money goes a LOT further.

HOT and HUMID texas summers suck, and so do the 2 or 3 ice storms you'll get a year. You also, can't really "drive" to anything different climate/adventure wise.

I can drive to snowboarding, vegas, other big neat'o cities from Los Angeles. When I lived in Dallas we took a road trip to Austin once...and a trip to Houston once...OH and Shrievport to gamble...not as fun. !

P.S. Austin is like the little liberal town in Texas. VERY pretty city, nice lake, lots of ourdoor activities. I think Austin is pretty expensive to live, and it has a very "rural" feel which you may like. I'm more of a city boy, so I really enjoyed living in Dallas. If you enjoy ANY pain in the ass kinda "high society" crap, Dallas would have much more of that...but it also has a ton of white trash hangouts...the kind I like! YES!

All in all, Texas is a dream compared to living in California.

P.S.S. I'm not sure how it is there where you live, but another thing to consider is the ammount of "force" the state government puts on your day to day live. I've been in Los Angeles 5 years and I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've had to go to some court, pay some fine, do this and do that because of "paperwork" errors I have. Car registration, fregin parking tickets, crazy no front plate tickets. If you get pulled over and do not have your PLASTIC liscense with you, enjoy your car being impounded...the cops have NO common sense and simply read from the book, the book created to make MONEY for the state. In Texas...I NEVER....ONCE...had an even remotely similar experience....maybe it's different now....but other than the liquer laws on Sunday....I never even felt like there WAS a government in Texas....man I miss Texas.

Go COWBOYS!! oh wait. *blows brains out*

Last edited by erics75218; 12-31-2008 at 09:01 AM.
post #48 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 09:08 AM

Austin feels a lot more like California than the South. There is waterskiing and great mountain bike trails within 5 minutes of the Capitol. You can do outdoor activities almost all winter long however summer outdoor activities are best done in the morning unless water is involved. I did a night mountain bike ride last night and it was 55 degrees. If you look at home prices online, deduct 25% from the price and if your realtor tries the "the National Economy isn't affecting Austin line", get a different realtor. The local economy is holding up well but it is still down a little. Here is a good local real estate site.

Austinhomesearch.com Home Page

And the local weather:

Austin Weather Forecast and Conditions Texas
post #49 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 09:37 AM

Garage
I grew up quite a ways east of Houston, and its hot, wet, and seriously flat. Its the real south there and "interesting" to say the least.

I'd recommend, before you make a drastic move, that you visit your destination for at least a few days. Take that time to look for housing and amenities and make sure the area fits your idea of where you want to be. The reason I say this is things look different online. My wife and I were just looking at picking up a vacation house and always wanted one in a certain area. Once we actually started looking at houses in that area we were shocked at the "actual" neighborhood which we never looked closely at. Needless to say...we are now looking elsewhere.

07 Magnetic Blue Exige S
"Mostly though, it's just a triumph of British engineering." -Jeremy Clarkson
post #50 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 10:18 AM

Texas isn't the south, it's TEXAS....haha. But yeah, good note there.....Texas isn't as progressive in many areas socially as other places in the country, or Austin.

For instance...liquor and beer/wine are 2 separate things there. Some counties are "dry" and serve no liquor at all. "bars" in those counties make you join their private club...usually free...but still annoying.

On Sunday you can't buy liquor at all I don't believe, and you can't buy beer till noon. So don't forget that if you are into the early football beer drinking scene.

I've also run into some non "tolerant" people there.....I had a cab driver say some very questionable things about the race of Dallas Cowboys players....and I've had a friend who has an extreme haircut get assaulted by some "good ol' boys" if you know what I mean.

It's also the bible belt...and interestingly enough, it seems to be in the HUGE NUDIE bar belt as well.
post #51 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 11:17 AM

We are used to jokes about Texas and hicks but when I took my son to 2 National Mountain Bike races in the mountains last summer in New York and Vermont, he was seriously creeped out with some of the people he saw. We found ourselves humming dueling banjos daily.

As for Texas being progressive, it just depends where you are.
post #52 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

hey guys. austin is looking really good now.. but its huge lol.. which county or towns are good.. saw everythng from 5 million to 150k homes

steel grey 04' neon srt4 low boost 360hp 400ft lbs.... here for the love of the Elise, Exige and gaining the knowledge before I can get my own...

post #53 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 04:40 PM

Getting Closer to Heaven

Cokey,

Take a look in the Buda area, it is South of Austin but still close. Prices of real estate and traffic should be better than North of town. Also, it is close to San Marcos, H2R (track) New Braunfels and San Antonio. Best of all worlds. It would be like living in Austin with the benefit of San Antonio close by. I would look in this area but I am only about 45 minutes from there now and there are lots of back roads that are a blast to drive.

Good luck,

FF

FastFred
2013 Evora S IPS Motorsport Black/Gold Stripes
'05 Elise LRG /Biscuit , Sport Pack, Touring Pack, Sold
post #54 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

old thread started up again..

hey folks.. just going through some of my old threads.. we couldn't move before for legal reason (re: step son) but this coming summer we should be able to.. sucks that we didnt/couldn't save a lot but with the difference in prices (ny verses tx) we should be ok..

we have looked at other places like NH AZ etc.. tx is still top on the list.. NH would be if it weren't for the cold..

compared to ny freedoms, tx is heaven... we need to get into a more free loving state.. and with 2 little girls, we're also looking into a home schooling community... thanks for all the tips.. i revisited some of the sites and suggestions you guys gave..

we've been to austin twice a few years back.. we both like it but don't want to be in a city.. i don't mind having to drive an hour to work as long we can get a few acres, enough for our own small farm..

post #55 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 06:24 AM

I'm in North Central San Antonio, I pull out of the garage, in 5 minutes I'm on amazing back road twisties throughout the beautiful tx Hill Country, in any month of the year... Does it get any better than that? Lol as a side note I'm a Canadian (too cold and snowy that's why I'm here) And also played some hockey living in LA for a year I love it there as well however Texans aren't arrogant and stuck up like I found with more than many Californians. Just my 2 cents

2006 Phantom Black Elise --- Full Carbon Fiber Interior, Composite Worx CF Seats, AP Racing Big Brake Kit
post #56 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 07:44 AM

But consider the difference in damage between hitting a racoon and an armadillo...

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #57 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 06:53 PM

Houston has a ton of great food and is close to Austin if you're into that sorta thing

My Prelude rebuild.
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=256458

2008 Lotus Elise | Storm TI | Touring Pack | A/C Insulation Mod | Aluminum Carpet Buttons | JBL GTO Series Speakers | Alpine iDA_X100 | GRP Trunk Strut | darthHOLDER | re-ENFORCER | BOE TOC Oil Pan | Pro Alloy Rad | BOE Toe Links
post #58 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

yea i can't wait for better weather.. AZ is also on top of the list.. just found out both the wife and i can acquire a job there easily.. we stayed a week in sister inlaws place in phoenix (northern part) and visited sedona.. like it too..

post #59 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 08:29 AM

Another Canadian here. I live in Plano (just outside of Dallas) the weather is perfect. Today is really nice out. 30's no snow, just fresh. We have one helluva cars and coffee out here. Southern Hospitality aplenty! Lots of things to do for myself, the fiancee and her kid. I'm sure it was mentioned that we have a healthy autocross group out here, and within 3.5 hours drive there are several road tracks to choose from.

Land isnt too bad, I would say you should not have any problem picking up acreage an hour an hour and a half outside Dallas. Probably more acreage can be had if you wanted to be that distance outside Fort Worth.

Like AZ the Job market is pretty decent and housing is pretty cheap. The only thing I didn't like about Phoenix was I prefer my summer nights to stay hot, it got cold at night out there. Hence why I don't live in Canada anymore.
post #60 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 09:23 AM

I've lived in the Austin area (Austin/Dripping Springs) for 5 years, and lived in Ft. Worth for 12 before that. I moved to the Austin area for a change, and that it has been.

Ft. Worth: A lot more blue collar than Austin, a lot more of what people think of when they think of "Texas" (good and bad), cheaper cost of living, cheaper houses, a working stockyard down town, regular rodeo in the summer, etc.... Generally conservative folks (but lots of strip clubs), large Vietnamese population, small downtown but still decent (much better than, say, Columbus, Ohio), track not too far from town, about 7 hours to the Mexican border, five hours to the coast (Galveston), most years you get enough rain, non-trendy restaurants (e.g. 24-hour "Ol' South" pancake house), lots of trucks, flat, Lake Worth.

Austin: Trendy folks, often professionals, often referred to as "California-wannabe" (especially since they got rid of the boat races), expensive housing unless you're willing to drive, overwhelmed with immigrants from other states, poorly laid out road system, trendy restaurants (e.g. 24-hour "Magnolia" with cutesy signs such as "sorry we're open"), college-aged down town, about 4-5 hours to the Mexican border, 4 hours to the coast, expensive cars, hilly, water restrictions due to growth and low rainfall, ugly 50-foot low Lake Travis, fun places to drive, more central to Texas than DFW, one hour to San Antonio.

I live in the Dripping Springs area, about 40 minutes west of Austin. I like living in Texas, but I don't miss living in Austin.

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Texas Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in