Is radar used in the Austin area? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Is radar used in the Austin area?

Hi, guys. I got bonked by a speeding ticket out on 1431, so despite feeling shi--y about trying to evade the law, I am considering purchasing a radar detector. I really don't speed habitually, but there are a couple quiet stretches of road where I like to open it up a bit when it looks like there's no one around. The temptation will grow if get a supercharger like I plan to this spring. I've heard that cops in the Austin area have abandoned radar and only use laser, now. Anyone know if that's the case? I'm thinking about getting a Passport Max2 or Max360, but if there's no radar guns in use, there's no point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 10:45 AM
not your dad's puns

Last time I was down there, I still got some hits for radar, don't remember which bands. I hear it's still very regional in TX, with some spots being *all* laser, and others a blend.

Personally I would go with a combination - Waze + V1 or some app connected detector, with live crowd-sourced updates.

because racecar
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 11:46 AM

I personally like the Redline XR

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 12:43 PM

Don't remember the last time I was hit by a laser, but it definitely wasn't in Austin! KA is very widely used..

Review/Opinion:
I love my Passport 9500ix for that, with GPS it blocks out all the chatter from false alerts, so comes in very handy in a city. Still use Waze on long trips out to know ahead when there is someone lurking .

Had a V1 in my other car and it just drove me nuts due to all the false alerts..It probably can also do blocking etc, but I didn't mess with that since the Passport works out of the box..And I am planning to upgrade to the Max line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Texas Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in