Rev300/400 owners in Austin - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Skwerl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Rev300/400 owners in Austin

Hi, guys. Sorry to cross-post, but I was wondering if there's anyone else in the area who has a BOE supercharger. Since I had mine added, it makes a nasty high-pitched sound around 25% throttle, 2500 RPM, and I'm trying to figure out if that's normal or not. Sounds like squealing brakes. Can't seem to capture the sound when I try to record it, so I'd like to hear someone else's car in person to see if theirs does the same thing.

Thank you,
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 07:04 AM

What did BOE say about it?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

We've been kind of going back and forth with BOE. I originally got the answer that the supercharger just makes noises that I'm unaccustomed to. I love the sound of the supercharger spinning up. Sometimes I will start shift to a higher gear early just because the rising whoosh gives me the giggles. This is something completely different.
Despite multiple attempts by both Collin from Soul Speed and I, we have been unable to record the sound. It's plenty loud in person, but for some reason, our recording devices don't pick it up well, so we haven't gotten a good repro of the sound sent to BOE. Collin thinks it might just be a whistle produced by the butterfly valve. To me, it's a loud and ugly enough sound that I would have done everything I could to engineer it out. Plus, no one has said to the way I've described it, so I suspect it's not supposed to be that way.
SLKado likes this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 09:52 AM

There is a whistle from the intake at certain loads. Is what you're hearing mechanical or a whistle?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

I'd say it's probably a whistle. It occurs at common cruising throttle and is especially loud when decelerating with no throttle and clutch engaged. It sounds almost identical to someone with bad brakes.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:55 AM

Hmmm, well, the intake sound that it normal is directly connected to throttle angle. Like, you can make it whistle by applying the right amount of throttle. If it's making a squeal under closed throttle, deceleration, then it's not normal and should be looked into. If it's squealing, it's probably something rubbing some where and is probably evidenced by some sort of material shavings. Look for shavings around the pulleys and snout mounting area.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 06:26 AM
$3(uR3 u$3r

Hi.

Does the car have to be moving to make the sound? If you take a digital recorder and place/mount it in different locations in the bay and record the noise, the area where it is loudest can be found. I taped a recorder under my jeep to find a sound only while in motion and was able to find the loudest spot and focus there.

I still have the mike and recorder if you want to use it. Hell I would love to hear it for myself and help if I can.

Good luck finding the sound. Random car noises irritate me, and yet I bought an Elise. Hahaha.

Alex

2008 Elise SC - Solar Yellow
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. Yes, the noise happens with closed throttle while decelerating with the clutch engaged (engine braking). It's loudest then, so although I believe I could probably repro the 25% throttle whistle, I'd have to be moving to get the louder squeal. Soul Speed has had my car for a couple weeks looking into this, otherwise I'd be glad to have you listen to it, Alex. Thank you for offering. I'll ping them today to see if there's any news or word from BOE. I'm kind of surprised that BOE hasn't been very responsive on this until I sent them an e-mail with an F-bomb in it, and it seems like SoulSpeed has had a similar level of responsiveness.

Thank you,
Josh
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 10:09 AM

It's a super simple mechanical set up and install. If Soulspeed can't find the problem then damn... that's surprising. I'm shocked that they can't find the issue.

Possible culprits:

1) bad install of components near supercharger snout
2) defective supercharger

What else was installed at the time? Did they upgrade your clutch or anything?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

I don't think the issue is that they can't find the problem, but rather the uncertainty that it's a problem in the first place. This was a supercharger install only. They looked for vacuum leaks and double-checked the installation, but couldn't find anything other than a broken bracket that was causing the cicada-like noise I noticed when idling. They fixed that. He's going to try again to get a recording that sounds like it does in person, since the one he sent to BOE didn't really capture the sound, so naturally BOE said they didn't hear anything abnormal.
I get the impression that perhaps Collin didn't understand me when I explained how to repro the sound during deceleration, and now I have a new theory- maybe I'm just driving like a hooligan. Half the time I don't disengage the clutch when approaching a stop. I just let the engine compression slow the car rather than use the brake because I'm easily entertained and the sound kind of tickles me.
I've been told that's bad. I've been told it's fine. I don't know which is right, so I do what strikes my fancy. But maybe no one else does that and so they don't hear it make that sound. To me it sounds like air pressure being bled off, and maybe it's supposed to happen like that.

Josh
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Picked the car up yesterday, and the cicada and squealing sounds are gone. I guess that broken bracket that Collin welded fixed them both. I'm surprised that it was just vibration making that loud squeal. At any rate, the car sounds and feels beautiful.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 11:14 AM

Broken bracket? Welded? What? Was it a used kit?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

No, the supercharger kit was brand new. I'm pulling pretty hard from my memory banks now, but I think he said it was a bracket on or near the muffler. When he told me, I was at the office on a balcony and two vultures had just landed on the rail in front of me, so I was a little distracted while listening.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 07:40 AM

Which exhaust are you running? My stage 2 broke all 8(!) welds holding the tips to the can and made a noise at higher RPMs that had me thinking the trans was coming apart.

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 09:56 AM

Oh, I see. Nothing to do with the supercharger... That makes all the world of sense.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

I'm still on the stock exhaust, but that's probably something I need to change in the future, but the first thing I'm going to need to look into what I need to do to improve grip a bit. With all this new torque, I get little tiny bits of tire spin sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Texas Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in