Noob in NH - Seacoast C&C This Sunday - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mdriverrad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Noob in NH - Seacoast C&C This Sunday

Hello Northeast Region. As the description reads, I'm new to both the forum and the platform - reformed E36M3 driver. Just purchased an 2008 Exige from gentleman in Washington DC. Anyway, just wanted to connect with fellow members. I'm aware of a standing monthly C&C on the first Sunday of every month at Rogers Red Liner Diner in Portsmouth, NH and lots of interesting things show up, it just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Huge parking lot, easy access to major routes.

For me, I've been pining after an Exige since 2007, and finally pulled the trigger. It's going to get medium-duty track time, so anything that anyone here has to share regarding common issues, or immediate updates, I'm all ears!

Anyway, I hope that this note finds you all well, and I'm looking forward to being a member of your community.

Richard
KCZ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 08:23 AM
craigyirush

Congrats on the purchase. Post some pics!

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 12:24 PM
KCZ

Garage
Welcome. This is the right forum for NE events. Consider joining the NEMOLL chapter of Lotus Ltd. and get on their Email list. https://sites.google.com/site/nemollcarclub/home

2011 Evora S 2+2 in Persian Blue with Oyster
2003 350Z, Track edition
2013 Boxster S 981
2014 Xterra, for 6 months of winter and mud season

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 12:41 PM
glb

Welcome!

Note to new Elise & Exige Owners:

1. These cars have large (i.e. dangerous) blind spots. Multivex mirrors are NLA, but RLS (Really Light Stuff) offers very good tape-on replacements.

2. The horns are way too weak (quiet). There’s an inverse relationship: smaller the car, louder the horn needs to be.

Get something such as a Stebel Nautilus.

Stock: “Excuse me”

Stebel: “HONK! LOOK OUT!”

Remove the stock horn; replace with louder.

(I drive with my finger on the horn button in any traffic. Iffy situations, my headlights are on.)

3. The early cars came with misaimed and dim headlights. If you drive at night, convert to HIDs. While better than stock halogen bulbs are available, HIDs throw more light. Stay around 5000k.

4. Ensure your car has had the work required by the recall for oil line fittings done. You could lose an engine and/or spin in your own oil.

5. The best transmission lube I’ve found is Redline MT-90 plus a little Power Punch Extreme Gear Oil Additive. (Note that it takes two changes to get rid of the previous lube.)

a) Early cars have wobbly shift towers. Look up Stan’s Mod (bolt and spacer; http://www.billswebspace.com/ShifterReinforcement.pdf) and

Sector 111 long thru bolt that terminates under car: re-ENFORCER - Shift reinforcement for the Lotus Elise and Exige - Sector111

These (lube, mods) make a huge change in shifting.

6. As per some engine builders on these sites, wait at least 10 minutes after coolant has reached full operating temp before engaging cam switchover.

7. Rear toe-links can loosen and break with disastrous results. You can check tq periodically, or use Nordlock washers. Best is conversion to better engineered brace, such as BOE’s for one example.

8. While under the car with panel off, look around for hoses and wires chafing their way to failure. That’s how this was found:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f311...-u-tube-47232/

9. Visit the Uber Thread

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Will do!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 04:20 PM

Welcome and congratulations on getting your dream car. Here are my choices for competitive events

Track: visit COMSCC. They have great instructors and run at most of the New England tracks. Their next event is at NHMS on October 10th and 11th.

Autocross: visit SCCNH. They run most of their events in a parking lot at NHMS. Their next event is October 4th.

Hillclimbs: SCCNH also does these. The next one is at Mt Ascutney in Windsor VT on September 18-20.

Howard
2005 Elise AP LSS hardtop
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 04:20 PM

I might make it - Portsmouth isn't too far for me. If I'm there at all, It'll be either in a BRG Elise or a Red Velvet Evora.

I've been tracking the Elise for several years now. I'd be more than happy to help point out the key issues.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Probably Lurking

I'm seacoast NH as well and recently spotted a red Exige up the road I haven't seen before . . . you?

I'm trying to find time for a sea to summit drive for NEMOLL. So, get on the mailing list or watch the forum. At the very least, I'm thinking lunch in K-port. Target dates currently 9/20, 26, & 27. NEMOLL is just a chapter of Lotus Ltd. NEMOLL drives are open to any member of Lotus Ltd and members are welcome to set up events for people to join.

I keep a calendar of events current for the region: https://sites.google.com/site/nemollcarclub/events

Be sure to scan the Uberpost if you're new to Eliges: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/e...ow-here-25131/

I'll try to make it to C&C next month, but if we post a Coffee stop for Lotus folks before then, I'm sure people will show.

-Shawn (2005 Elise) || New England Members of Lotus Ltd. (NEMOLL) - PM me to join local info list or NEMOLL || UberPost - Elise/Exige info: common problems/fixes, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Northeast Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in