Looking for an Elise SC Test Drive "Exchange" in DC/MD/VA - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Looking for an Elise SC Test Drive "Exchange" in DC/MD/VA

Hello all. New member here.

I'm seriously considering an Elise SC as my next purchase but, I'd really like an opportunity for an up-close viewing of one...along with a test ride.

In exchange, I can offer to buy lunch and, as long as we're within the range of it, a test ride/drive in my Tesla Roadster.

I've had the Roadster for a couple of years and, while it's a hoot to drive, the limitations of an all-electric drivetrain (plus the uniqueness of Tesla servicing) has me looking at other options.

When reading reviews of the Elise (and Elise SC), the two biggest complaints seem to be "it's really challenging to get in and out of gracefully" and "it doesn't have poop for storage space".

Well, the Roadster that's been my near-daily driver for the past couple of years is based on the Elise so, I'm used to both of those things. While I don't love the ingress/egress of the Roadster with the top on, I've gotten used to it.

For those that aren't familiar with the Tesla Roadster, it's built on an Elise chassis, has 288HP, a single-speed transmission (goes from 0-14,000 RPM...0-125 MPH). Heck, even reverse is just the electric motor spinning backwards.

I've researched a few different versions of the Elise and I think the SC is really the only one that would give me close to the performance I've gotten used to in the Roadster (not meaning to insult any non-SC Elise owners; but 0-60 in under 4 seconds is intoxicating...and addictive!)

I know that I'm almost-certainly going to have to travel to find an Elise SC (in the color combo I want) for sale...and pay to have it shipped. I'm OK with that but, I'd really like to have it narrowed down to that model before I buy a plane ticket.

Thanks!

-Greg

P.S. If you'd prefer, I have a Chevy SSR (convertible pickup truck) that I could also offer a test drive of!

2011 Lotus Elise REV300 - Starlight Black Metallic
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 - Midnight Blue (sold)
2004 Chevy SSR Convertible Pickup - Ultra Violet (sold)

My CarPC YouTube Video - - - - - - - - - - - - - NY Times Article
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 12:02 PM
because racecar

Come to Indianapolis and I can give you a ride in something that realistically only in appearance reflects a stock Elise (err sort of). It is an Elise and does have a supercharger. Might ruin the stock car for you. I've always wanted to drive a Tesla roadster.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 12:14 PM

After the roadster, the stock, non-supercharged version will disappoint I think. The roadsters are fun to drive. Hopefully someone on the site takes you up on the drive just for that experience....and to see all of cool mods they did to the elise to make it happen.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 05:48 PM

Garage
I'm in Charlottesville with an '08 SC 60th Anniversary Edition. If that's in range, we can work something out.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cch1 View Post
I'm in Charlottesville with an '08 SC 60th Anniversary Edition. If that's in range, we can work something out.
cch1,

Yes, Charlottesville is within range (and there are a couple of hotels down there that offer destination charging for me).

I'd love to check out your car. Would a weekend afternoon work for you?

In the quick research I've done, it looks like the 60th anniversary edition would have similar performance to a non-anniversary Elise SC, is that correct?

I also understand that it seems like most folks don't run a "stock" Elise; looks like a very good platform for improvements/modifications (and I don't say that as a negative thing...just an observation).

-Greg

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 02:07 PM

Not sure if you are still looking to drive a car but I have an 05 Elise with katana s/c located in VA beach.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 10:07 AM

Late to this thread, but I've got a REV300 Elise up in Frederick.

-05 NFB Elise with stripes for performance and a REV300 for looks.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAllen View Post
Late to this thread, but I've got a REV300 Elise up in Frederick.
JamesAllen, Thanks for chiming in.

It's not too late.

I've been trying to figure out the logistics of getting the Tesla down to Charlottesville (where cch1 is), but the only hotels that have charging are booked out MONTHS in advance...and I can't get there and back on a charge. I could do public charging but, that means I've got to find one, and then hang out for 5 hours while it recharges (that's why the hotel charging is so nice - charge while you sleep!)

tilon4 mentioned that he's in VA Beach but, that's even further.

Frederick is easily within range (and I know what my public charging options are in DC/VA/MD).

Is a "REV300" Elise equivalent in performance/horsepower to a factory Elise SC (I'll freely admit that I'm very confused about all of the different Elise configurations and options)?

It's starting to look like no two Elise's are alike!

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 03:26 PM

Hey Habious,

The REV300 is a larger, more efficient supercharger than the factory setup, so I'm putting out significantly more power than an Elise SC. My car dyno'd just shy of 240 at the wheels, where I believe the Lotus SC is closer to 220 at the crank. The supercharger isn't the only mod - I've got aftermarket brakes, suspension, scoops, splitters, etc.

I'm up for a drive anytime - just send me a PM!
Attached Images

-05 NFB Elise with stripes for performance and a REV300 for looks.

Last edited by JamesAllen; 05-02-2016 at 03:33 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 03:42 PM
UK Exile

Should be all done with one of the Loti in the next few weeks, Northern VA.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 10:31 AM

I have an 06 exige so no supercharger I live in McLean but would love to test drive the tesla... I know it's like completely opposite of what you would like to drive lol but I thought it would be worth a shot.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 Elise View Post
I have an 06 exige so no supercharger I live in McLean but would love to test drive the tesla... I know it's like completely opposite of what you would like to drive lol but I thought it would be worth a shot.
06 Elise,

Sure, I'm interested, especially with you being just down the street in McLean (I'm in North Springfield/Fairfax).

It's looking more and more to me like I'm not going to find someone with the EXACT sort of car I'd wind up buying (if I end up buying), because there seems to be so many variations, plus the modification options.

Of course, now that there's interest in this thread...we have 10 days of non-stop rain, with 10 more days of non-stop rain in the forecast!

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habious View Post
06 Elise,

Sure, I'm interested, especially with you being just down the street in McLean (I'm in North Springfield/Fairfax).

It's looking more and more to me like I'm not going to find someone with the EXACT sort of car I'd wind up buying (if I end up buying), because there seems to be so many variations, plus the modification options.

Of course, now that there's interest in this thread...we have 10 days of non-stop rain, with 10 more days of non-stop rain in the forecast!
Exactly, well I hope you do find one that is exactly what you are looking for. They are out there!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 09:14 AM

I'd like to see a video of you going 125mph in reverse😉

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 05:57 AM

Garage
The damn wedding industry shuts down Charlottesville this time of year. I don't know of any great options for you, @Habious , and I work in the hotel search industry!

I will offer this, though: I have a spare basement bedroom. You are welcome to stay here for a night or two before my wife's cousin gets here in June (for a month).

-Chris
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I wanted to follow up on this thread (that I started).

So, the summer hit and, along with all sorts of family crap happening, the Tesla decides to die...again.

The reason my eyes started to wander is because of the lack of reliability that I've been getting from the Tesla (the Roadster specifically). Well, my car has now taken "unreliable" to a whole 'nuther level.

On July 6 it crapped out (wouldn't charge - thankfully, it was in my driveway). Tesla towed it away.

I haven't seen it since.

4+ months and it's still "waiting on parts".

I gave up, I've moved on. Picked up a 2011 Elise (with a REV300 supercharger) last week, and I LOVE it!

It's just amazing how it...starts. You can actually drive it. It runs! (yeah, my standards are very low right now)

But, seriously, we flew to Detroit and bought it from @spitfun . Drove it home (572 miles, in one day). Had no problems at all. Car ran great. Been driving it daily since.

Once I get the Tesla back it'll be fun to compare to the two side-by-side (and then put a For Sale sign on the Tesla).
Attached Images

TachItUp likes this.

Last edited by Habious; 11-18-2016 at 05:18 AM.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 07:15 AM

Beautiful car. You took the aero kit off already?

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TachItUp View Post
Beautiful car. You took the aero kit off already?
While I loved the look of the rear wing and the front lip, they just didn't make the car practical in the real world.

The combination of the rear wing and the micro-mirror (which doesn't dim) made driving the car a complete nightmare after dark (basically, the headlights behind me looked like bright strobe lights...blinking through the wing). So, the wing came off, and the micro-mirror was replaced by a stock Elise mirror (which I literally just happened to have laying around in a drawer).

And the front lip scraped on EVERYTHING. Into the driveway...scrape. Out of the driveway...scrape. Tried backing into/out of the driveway...scrape. My neighborhood is lined with endless speedbumps. Scraped on every one of them.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 10:43 AM
Such moderate

Garage
Congrats! Nice buy!
Habious likes this.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Congrats! Nice buy!
Thanks.

I paid a lot for it but, I feel like I got a lot of car for what I paid.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > MidAtlantic Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in