Northern Virginia Lotus Service? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
11EliseSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 71
Northern Virginia Lotus Service?

I'm looking for any information on Lotus service in the northern Virginia area. I'm told that Euro Motor cars in Bethesda is no longer an authorized Lotus dealer/service center, so I'm looking for anyone familiar with the area to find out where you have your Lotus serviced. The Lotus web-site directs me to Princeton area of New Jersey, or Flow in Raleigh Durham NC.

It's a 2011 Lotus SC that I will be bringing to NoVA in a couple weeks, so curious of what service options I have. If there is an existing thread with this information, let me know and I'll check it.

Thanks.

Life's too short to not drive what you want
2011 Elise SC Carbon Gray (1 of 1)
BRG Mini Cooper S RHD
'14 WRX WRB
'01 Subaru RS Coupe
11EliseSC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 07:20 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: MD
Posts: 364
Unfortunately, dealership-wise, you are indeed out of luck in the immediate area. The old Criswell dealership tech works at or owns Milex in Frederick and people have stated good things about them:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f113...closed-354513/

PTuning, out of Manassas, gets great praise from a couple of the local NoVA Lotus folks as well. I have heard iffy reviews about RRT (BMW shop) beyond just normal alignments/ohlins rebuilds.
Fermi is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 04:37 AM
Have you GYLO'd?
 
rcollum's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlasijko7 View Post
I'm looking for any information on Lotus service in the northern Virginia area. I'm told that Euro Motor cars in Bethesda is no longer an authorized Lotus dealer/service center, so I'm looking for anyone familiar with the area to find out where you have your Lotus serviced. The Lotus web-site directs me to Princeton area of New Jersey, or Flow in Raleigh Durham NC.

It's a 2011 Lotus SC that I will be bringing to NoVA in a couple weeks, so curious of what service options I have. If there is an existing thread with this information, let me know and I'll check it.

Thanks.
Yep, it sucks to be without a dealer. Lotus Cars USA is looking for a replacement dealer, but no progress yet. I tend to go where they have direct experience with our model. Recently, I had RRT install my Penske NA shocks (they have an excellent reputation on suspension/alignment, though they specialize in BMWs). I had an oil change and some other minor work done by Scott at the Sports Car Shop. Scott races an Elise.

Auto Repair in Sterling, Loudoun and Fairfax County for Sports Cars

As a pure plug, please check out our "Get Your Lotus Out" event, on Sunday, 9/18/16, from 9AM to 11AM in Great Falls, VA -

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f113...m-11am-380690/

--Bob Collum

Northern Virginia Lotus Club. Contact me to get on the mailing list!
rcollum is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 06:00 AM
RBH
Registered User
 
RBH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 2,201
I have used https://www.rrtptm.com before and they are great.

Do it once. Do it right.
RBH is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 07:17 AM
Have you GYLO'd?
 
rcollum's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,613
Local Service

We have been though this before, and in a perfect situation, we'd have a local dealer with techs who know our vehicles. That's not where we are right now. Please keep in mind, if you are not taking your car to a mechanic that regularly works on our cars, beware. Years ago, a shop that didn't know how to lift a mid-engined car dropped an Elise off their lift. (See the image below, the most-viewed image ever on this site. No, this was not in our area.) We have heard complaints when a shop mis-diagnoses an engine problem, but that shop does not specialize in Lotus, or even Toyota, engines. If you have specific work you need done, see if someone else in the area has had it done, and if they were pleased with the results ON THAT PARTICULAR JOB, ON YOUR MODEL CAR. Alternatively, on fairly minor stuff, some locals share knowledge to get basic stuff done themselves.

Bob Collum
Attached Images
 

Northern Virginia Lotus Club. Contact me to get on the mailing list!

Last edited by rcollum; 09-06-2016 at 07:44 AM.
rcollum is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
11EliseSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcollum View Post
We have been though this before, and in a perfect situation, we'd have a local dealer with techs who know our vehicles. That's not where we are right now. Please keep in mind, if you are not taking your car to a mechanic that regularly works on our cars, beware. Years ago, a shop that didn't know how to lift a mid-engined car dropped an Elise off their lift. (See the image below, the most-viewed image ever on this site. No, this was not in our area.) We have heard complaints when a shop mis-diagnoses an engine problem, but that shop does not specialize in Lotus, or even Toyota, engines. If you have specific work you need done, see if someone else in the area has had it done, and if they were pleased with the results ON THAT PARTICULAR JOB, ON YOUR MODEL CAR. Alternatively, on fairly minor stuff, some locals share knowledge to get basic stuff done themselves.

Bob Collum
Thanks Bob. I will certainly beware! I don't want that to happen to my or any of our Lotus (Loti?). Years ago when I was an Acura Service Manager, we had a lift break, and dropped an Acura Integra. Nobody hurt thankfully, but after the pain of explaining what happened to the owner, in the big scheme of things, it wasn't too big of a deal because the customer got a brand new Integra. Obviously NOT an option here! So having lived through that first hand as the person in charge, I certainly want to avoid at all costs experiencing it with my Lotus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBH View Post
I have used https://www.rrtptm.com before and they are great.
Thanks RBH. I will check them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcollum View Post
Yep, it sucks to be without a dealer. Lotus Cars USA is looking for a replacement dealer, but no progress yet. I tend to go where they have direct experience with our model. Recently, I had RRT install my Penske NA shocks (they have an excellent reputation on suspension/alignment, though they specialize in BMWs). I had an oil change and some other minor work done by Scott at the Sports Car Shop. Scott races an Elise.


Auto Repair in Sterling, Loudoun and Fairfax County for Sports Cars

As a pure plug, please check out our "Get Your Lotus Out" event, on Sunday, 9/18/16, from 9AM to 11AM in Great Falls, VA -

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f113...m-11am-380690/

--Bob Collum
Thanks Bob, I will check Scott at the Sports Car Shop and your other suggestions. I will do my best to attend the Lotus event on 18 Sep. I'm supposed to pick up my car either this weekend or next...so I now have even more reason/motivation to pick it up this weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermi View Post
Unfortunately, dealership-wise, you are indeed out of luck in the immediate area. The old Criswell dealership tech works at or owns Milex in Frederick and people have stated good things about them:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f113...closed-354513/

PTuning, out of Manassas, gets great praise from a couple of the local NoVA Lotus folks as well. I have heard iffy reviews about RRT (BMW shop) beyond just normal alignments/ohlins rebuilds.
Thanks Fermi. I've been by PTuning for my '01 Subaru 2.5 RS, and '14 WRX, but didn't realize they would look at/work on Lotus.

Life's too short to not drive what you want
2011 Elise SC Carbon Gray (1 of 1)
BRG Mini Cooper S RHD
'14 WRX WRB
'01 Subaru RS Coupe
11EliseSC is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
11EliseSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 71
While I"m here, I'd like to ask advice on what to check or have the dealer do before I pick up my car from Austin....it was regularly driven and serviced the first 3+ years of its life, but has only traveled ~500 miles the last 2 years. So does anyone have any ideas on what I should have done before I pick it up? The car has ~19,500 miles on it, full service history, and Lotus of Austin has done the "basic service" to prep for delivery, but I'm curious what else I should have done prior to pick up with so few miles driven the past two years.

Thanks, Dan

Life's too short to not drive what you want
2011 Elise SC Carbon Gray (1 of 1)
BRG Mini Cooper S RHD
'14 WRX WRB
'01 Subaru RS Coupe
11EliseSC is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 09:49 AM
Registered User
 
CrusaderTBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 228
I called RRT and I was told they don't work on Lotus anymore? Is there an alternate mechanic option?

07 Arctic Silver Exige S
00 Raven Black Audi TT
CrusaderTBC is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 10:22 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: DMV
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusaderTBC View Post
I called RRT and I was told they don't work on Lotus anymore? Is there an alternate mechanic option?
We service Lotus cars
TransForged is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 07:43 AM
Registered User
 
CrusaderTBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransForged View Post
We service Lotus cars
Where are you located?

07 Arctic Silver Exige S
00 Raven Black Audi TT
CrusaderTBC is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 03:58 PM
Registered User
 
Huckleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 11
I'm looking for Lotus service for my 2014 Lotus Evora S in the Washington DC / Maryland / Northern Virginia area. My dealer is outside Manhattan, which is five hours for me.

It has a loud rattle coming from the engine. It doesn't seem to be effected by RPMs, but stays the same all the time.

Thanks

Last edited by Huckleberry; 04-02-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Huckleberry is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 04:02 PM
Registered User
 
Huckleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 11
Hello again, I'm getting no response on this. Is there really no Lotus service closer than NYC or Pittsburgh? Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks!
Huckleberry is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 04:18 PM
Have you GYLO'd?
 
rcollum's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,613
Lotus Dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Hello again, I'm getting no response on this. Is there really no Lotus service closer than NYC or Pittsburgh? Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks!
Google search -

Dealer & Service Centre Locator | Lotus Cars

For factory Lotus warranty service - Results: (I used my zip code of 22124):

VICTORY LOTUS

DEALER AND SERVICE CENTRE
109 Titus mill Rd
08525 Pennington NJ
168.31 mi 270.87 km (609) 902-2240

LOTUS OF PITTSBURGH

DEALER AND SERVICE CENTRE
11015 Perry Highway
PA 15090 Wexford, PA
187.70 mi 302.08 km (724) 935-4646

MANHATTAN MOTORCARS, INC.

DEALER AND SERVICE CENTRE
270 11th Avenue
10001 New York, NY
218.06 mi 350.93 km +1 877 360 7021

PARK AVENUE LOTUS

DEALER AND SERVICE CENTRE
New Jersey
207 West Central Avenue
07607 Maywood, NJ
221.35 mi 356.23 km +1 201-368-7085

RS MOTORSPORTS

SERVICE CENTRE ONLY
26 Bogert Street
NJ 07624 Closter, NJ
228.80 mi 368.22 km +1 201-750-0700

LOTUS MOTORCARS OF LONG ISLAND

DEALER AND SERVICE CENTRE
203 West Hills Road Huntington Station
11746 New York, NY
246.54 mi 396.77 km +1 631 425-1555

FLOW LOTUS

DEALER AND SERVICE CENTRE
1300 South Stratford Road
NC 27103 Winston-Salem, NC
253.78 mi 408.42 km +1 336 760 7000


--Bob Collum

Northern Virginia Lotus Club. Contact me to get on the mailing list!
rcollum is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 04:18 AM
Registered User
 
Huckleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 11
Bob, Thank you, but it looks like you didn't read my post. Of course, I did a Google search. I've spoken to several of those dealers, made numerous other calls, and gotten nowhere.

One of them on your list is where I bought the car.
That's why I asked the question.

Your Google search simply reaffirms what it says in my post: that there seems to be no one capable of servicing Lotus, less than a three hour drive from Washington, DC.

Does anyone know of anyone, dealer or non-dealer, who works on Lotus, that is closer to Washington, DC?

Thanks!

Last edited by Huckleberry; 04-03-2017 at 04:40 AM.
Huckleberry is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 04:44 AM
Have you GYLO'd?
 
rcollum's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,613
Sorry - I was unclear on whether you needed warranty service. For non-warranty service on an Evora, I'll defer to the folks in this area who own Evoras. I do know that Sports Car Shop (who I recommended above a while back) is out of business.

I can't imagine there'd be a problem finding an independent shop in the DC area with some Toyota engine expertise. I recall somebody saying there was a good tuning shop, somewhere in Maryland, that did add-on forced induction on Elises, but I can't remember the name of the place. In case your problem might be FI-related, it might be worthwhile going to a place that isn't put off by that setup.

The whole Lotus community is anxious to get a local dealer here, as soon as possible, but that won't likely happen until the latest Lotus acquisition rumors either come true, or die down again.

--Bob Collum

Northern Virginia Lotus Club. Contact me to get on the mailing list!
rcollum is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 04:53 AM
Registered User
 
Habious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Cameron, NC
Posts: 340
Garage
If you're talking about DEALER service, yeah, New Jersey is your closest option...and yes, that sucks.

If you're talking about independent mechanics who can work on a Lotus, there a few (but not a lot). There are a few threads about this, with people giving their opinions.

I recently had some work done on my 2011 Elise by the Sports Car Shop, in Sterling. However, it's recently closed. Artin (the lead mechanic there) is in the process of opening up a new shop but, he's still a few weeks away, from my understanding.

Here's an old, but fairly thorough, thread about our service options (or lack thereof) in the DC area...

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f113...c-metro-92281/

Also, if you want to see all previous threads about this, go to the Advanced Search, type in "service" in the "Keyword" box, in the drop-down just below the box for keywords, select "Search Titles Only", and then select "Mid-Atlantic Region" under the "Search in Forums" box. This will get you just-about every thread that talks about servicing a Lotus in the region.

2011 Lotus Elise REV300 - Starlight Black Metallic
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 - Midnight Blue (sold)
2004 Chevy SSR Convertible Pickup - Ultra Violet (sold)

My CarPC YouTube Video - - - - - - - - - - - - - NY Times Article
Habious is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:02 AM
Registered User
 
d3m4n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 10
Has the status of shops in northern Virginia that can service or modify Lotus cars changed in the past couple of years?
d3m4n is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 06:46 AM
Have you GYLO'd?
 
rcollum's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3m4n View Post
Has the status of shops in northern Virginia that can service or modify Lotus cars changed in the past couple of years?
Yes, it has changed. I take my Elise to Artin at GT Peace:

https://gtpeaceauto.com/


They do a lot of import car repair and modifications. Artin (pronounced "r-TEEN") has done work on Elises, Esprits and Evoras.

--Bob Collum

Northern Virginia Lotus Club. Contact me to get on the mailing list!
rcollum is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > MidAtlantic Region

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome