05 Elise - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

05 Elise

Hello fellas!

I've been pondering about a new car for a few months now and can't turn my eyes off the Elise. I have been approved for a loan and am looking at an 05 Lotus Elise from Sioux Falls, SD. I'm sure that it is a member on here by the name of Lance.

Here is the link.
2005 LOTUS ELISE For Sale in Sioux Falls South Dakota | Premier Motor Cars of Sioux Falls

So far i really like this one and been approved. I just wanted to know what you all think? What year Elise is the preferred buy and why? Price on this Elise, how does it sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 06:56 PM

I'm from Sioux Falls and if you want it looked at I can take it to a PPI etc. (there is a shop called Classic which is the only place to take it in this town)

Unless you're also from Sioux Falls...

Joshua
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:06 PM

txdude on these forums is from south dakota. pic of his car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNemo View Post
Hello fellas!

I've been pondering about a new car for a few months now and can't turn my eyes off the Elise. I have been approved for a loan and am looking at an 05 Lotus Elise from Sioux Falls, SD. I'm sure that it is a member on here by the name of Lance.

Here is the link.
2005 LOTUS ELISE For Sale in Sioux Falls South Dakota | Premier Motor Cars of Sioux Falls

So far i really like this one and been approved. I just wanted to know what you all think? What year Elise is the preferred buy and why? Price on this Elise, how does it sound?
Talk them down to $27,000... because it doesn't look like it has a hardtop and you can get a lower mileage elise somewhere else for less.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

I talked to them and the best they can do is 27.5. It does include the hardtop.

It claims, the original owner, says it put down 190 rwhp and an estimated 230 at the crank. Has upgraded exhaust system and Cold air intake. I told them that it sounded a little obscured to me that it's putting down 190rwhp with just those minor upgrades.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I talked to them and the best they can do is 27.5. It does include the hardtop.
Ok - I'd say go for it then if you really want it. The hardtop is important because its worth over $1,000.00. Looks like there is a nice sound system in there too. Does it come with the soft top as well?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

^^, yes it comes the old stereo, speakers, soft top, oem exhaust system, oem side markers.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:27 PM
hate speed limits

Hi Salty, love that color. My only recommendation is to remove the valve cover and ENSURE the cams aren't wiped before purchasing! G'luck.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

^^ what do you mean "wiped" cams?

Edit, just read up on Cam Lobe Wear. That sucks...does this only happen mainly on 05s? And if i do notice wear on the cams, is it even still worth it and how much? Interesting, anything i need to know or need to be concern with??

Last edited by SaltyNemo; 11-18-2010 at 09:09 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 09:18 PM
hate speed limits

Quote:
^^ what do you mean "wiped" cams?

Edit, just read up on Cam Lobe Wear. That sucks...does this only happen mainly on 05s? And if i do notice wear on the cams, is it even still worth it and how much? Interesting, anything i need to know or need to be concern with??
It sounds like a simple job for a trained mechanic. The dealership should be able to arrange this easily. It's cheap enough that they will be able to fix/replace (if there is an issue) without upping your price... if there's any wear at all.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 01:17 PM

Saw the car yesterday

Hey, I stopped into Premier yesterday to take a look at the car! It is VERY clean and in great condition. The dealer was a very nice guy who was very open about the car, he showed me full service records and let me get in, under and around the car.

I didn't get to spend as much time looking it over as I would have liked but I still was able to give it a pretty good lookover. The undercarriage was very clean, the only blem on the car I could find was the lip on the front clam had caught a driveway once or twice. the scrape had been covered with touchup paint and is only visible if you lay down to look at it. The rest of the body and interior was immaculate! It is obviously well cared for.

The only thing on the car that caught my eye was the rear tires, it appeared that at one point they had been a little overinflated. The tread depth in the center looked shallower than the tread on the edge. Usually a sign of slight overinflation. However the front tires were good with plenty of tread.

Most of the maintainence has been done in Minneapolis (not sure what shop I believe it was a Jaguar/Land Rover) with the exception of an oil change performed by the Billion Yota dealership here in Sioux Falls. I'm sure the dealer can inform you where the work has been done at and they can tell you more about the car. I remember that the 19,000 mile checkup had been done.

I probably forgot some things so if I remember more I will post it.

Joshua
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks a ton for checking it out. Im heading out there on wednesday if roads are good. If i like it i think i'll take the bait and be a proud owner of an Elise. Well, unless someone else buys it first.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 02:51 PM

The Elise I'm selling for $29k is a better deal since it has all the factory options, plus a lot of other stuff that makes it lighter (=faster), more livable, and better looking. It's also in great condition. Doesn't need any work as it is in perfect mechanical working order and needs to be since I'm OCD when it comes to my car working properly.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...goodies-92164/

2004 Deep Blue Volkswagen R32 - Purchased 11-15-2010
2005 Graphite Grey Elise - Sold 12-7-2010
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 04:58 PM

Take a look at Stocky Snails car too ... that is a lot of extra value in there. Good luck.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 09:49 PM

This is my first high performance sports car, and initially behind the wheel I didn't know what to expect and drove it very conservative.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 06:05 AM

Guys - I have no dog in this hunt, but after reading it:

Killerkane - your avatar may say 'opinionated prick', but that's a pretty damn cool thing you did for the guy. Always nice to see people do a solid for others by checking out the car. I'd hate to subject myself to a car sales guy if I didn't have to - it's like voluntary colonoscopy!!

Seriously though, outside of the great guys I've dealt with at FVMC (THE best in the biz) and when I bought my X5 (Dealer is my friend's father in law), most experiences with car sales guys have been less than stellar. Once I tell them I'm in sales, the bs usually ends!

Kudos to you do for doing a fellow forumite a solid!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in