* Professionally installed radar detector/jammer
* Polk speakers
* Sirius S100 professionally installed
* Sector 111 lidbone
* Sector 111 carpet buttons
* Zenon headlights professionally installed
* Odyssey 680 battery
* Cup holder

Asking price is 35k and the owner is willing to take it to his nearest Lotus dealer to have it checked out for me. To me it seems like a great price, however, from some of the reactions in the "for sale" section of this forum, it made me second guess the asking price. Does this seem like a good deal to any of you or no? There is a Lotus dealer by my house that has a Chrome Orange 06' with 6k miles for 36k but it is bone stock.. just making sure which seems like the better option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy E View Post
So I found a 2005 Elise Touring that has 7k miles

Options included are:

* Powdercoated black sport wheels
* Larini Eurostyle exhaust from Sector
* Sector 111 anodized blue aluminum radiator
* Professionally installed radar detector/jammer
* Polk speakers
* Sirius S100 professionally installed
* Sector 111 lidbone
* Sector 111 carpet buttons
* Zenon headlights professionally installed
* Odyssey 680 battery
* Cup holder

Asking price is 35k and the owner is willing to take it to his nearest Lotus dealer to have it checked out for me. To me it seems like a great price, however, from some of the reactions in the "for sale" section of this forum, it made me second guess the asking price. Does this seem like a good deal to any of you or no? There is a Lotus dealer by my house that has a Chrome Orange 06' with 6k miles for 36k but it is bone stock.. just making sure which seems like the better option.
How important/meaningful are all those 'extras' to you? If they are things that you would actually want to do to your car, then you need to factor them in. If some/all you can take or leave, then let that drive your value proposition.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 06:39 PM

I have an 05 for sale here, and thats a good deal being offered too. Most of those mods are worth it and were needed, you are already 1/2 way there. An 05 is an easer car if you intend to push more HP due to the lack of electronic throttle.

2008 Exige S 240
2010 Toyota FJ TRD
2015 BMW M235 Convertible
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
1978 Toyota FJ40

2008 Beneteau Oceanis 40 Sailboat
1973 Colombia 26 MK11 sailboat

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 06:54 PM

$35k of the 05' sounds like an decent deal for that mileage. None of those upgrades are very big ticket items. It'd have to be pristine and new tires with lots of tread left. $36k for the 06' sounds like a decent deal too actually, depends it you want a newer one; I would - the tail lights go LED for 06' among other things.

If you want to save 3k-4k+, check out this one, it's a great car and the seller is really cool
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...y-trade-58829/

hth,
larez2
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 07:20 PM
BANNED

I'm pretty sure you can find some around 30-33k but it may be hard to find your color/mods that you want.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

ya the larini exhaust and black sport wheels were something i would have wanted no matter which car i buy. the other things were just icing on the cake. the rear lights vs the 06 don't matter much to me either way, so i guess it is looking like the 05 is a better value now that i actually just re-read what i just said heh. so, the 05's warranty is gone... that is the only downside especially reading a few people's horror stories on these forums with warranty fixable problems (aka Patrick's Daily Driver Blog).

Are the 06's more reliable then the 05's? I know some people prefer the dual oil coolers of the 05's and the non drive by wire, but to be honest I am not even sure if I would even notice that.

Oh well, thanks for the replies so far. Other people's input is appreciated as well. I try and absorb the info that I get from these forums as much as I can and want to make a good choice without any regret
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 08:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy E View Post
ya the larini exhaust and black sport wheels were something i would have wanted no matter which car i buy. the other things were just icing on the cake. the rear lights vs the 06 don't matter much to me either way, so i guess it is looking like the 05 is a better value now that i actually just re-read what i just said heh. so, the 05's warranty is gone... that is the only downside especially reading a few people's horror stories on these forums with warranty fixable problems (aka Patrick's Daily Driver Blog).

Are the 06's more reliable then the 05's? I know some people prefer the dual oil coolers of the 05's and the non drive by wire, but to be honest I am not even sure if I would even notice that.

Oh well, thanks for the replies so far. Other people's input is appreciated as well. I try and absorb the info that I get from these forums as much as I can and want to make a good choice without any regret

The larini exhaust and black sport wheels are things you can buy the car without and install them l8er. Get what you want if you know you can modify it to EXACTLY what you want. If you can't, just pay a bit more.... It'll be worth it instead of moaning and regretting it every time you drive. TRUST ME
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin orange View Post
I have an 05 for sale here, and thats a good deal being offered too. Most of those mods are worth it and were needed, you are already 1/2 way there. An 05 is an easer car if you intend to push more HP due to the lack of electronic throttle.

what do you mean by they "were needed"?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 10:31 AM

7K is VERY low milage for a 2005, if the car was babied and they have service records, was not wrecked, sounds like a fair deal if the tires/brakes look good ! Doubt you would
find anything cheaper with that kind of milage

Currently:
1964 Volvo 1800S
1965 Sunbeam Tiger
1966 Pontiac GTO
2005 Lotus Elise
2011 VW Touareg - Support vehicle for all of the above
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delise View Post
7K is VERY low milage for a 2005, if the car was babied and they have service records, was not wrecked, sounds like a fair deal if the tires/brakes look good ! Doubt you would
find anything cheaper with that kind of milage
He told me the tires are about 50% worn. Car is without any accidents and he only drives it sparingly (obviously). Very helpful guy too and is willing to answer all my newbish questions and has been very patient with me. I guess I can be confident now that the price he is asking is very reasonable based on what has been said.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 12:14 PM

i'd say that a really nice deal - assuming you like the way the car is. thats a lot of value in that price.

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 12:20 PM
www.theapexinn.com

Price check Register 5

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel74 View Post
Price check Register 5
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 10:58 AM

I did a search and couldn't find a recent post on this. I'd like to bring it back to the top. What are good/best prices on Elise's now? I have seen some go as cheap as 25k, but I just started looking. Thanks.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:17 AM

New Car Prices, Used Car Values, New Car Reviews & Car Buying Guides - NADAguides.com Official Site

2005 Elise used prices listed under classic cars section.

eg for NJ with default options/mileage

Low Retail, Average Retail, High Retail
$23,100, $30,400, $34,400

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree...
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjku79 View Post
I did a search and couldn't find a recent post on this. I'd like to bring it back to the top. What are good/best prices on Elise's now? I have seen some go as cheap as 25k, but I just started looking. Thanks.
Just picked mine up in Dec. for $27,000 with less than 16,000 miles on it, all factory, not a hicup with it in anyway what so ever, and came with ALL the options except LSD. I personally feel that I got a great deal on mine, because the ones I have seen for the same price or less have had almost twice as many miles on them. The cheapest I have seen is $23,000, but the car had only touring and about 45,000 miles on it.

Hope that helps. I know the local dealer just sold an 05, in British racing green FULLY loaded with LSD for $33,000 and it had 3800 miles on it. They brought it in one day, and it was sold the next.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 01:33 PM

That is about what I expected. I have to sell my VTEC Austin mini first then I will find myself one for around 25 to use as a sunny daily driver/track car.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 03:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjku79 View Post
That is about what I expected. I have to sell my VTEC Austin mini first then I will find myself one for around 25 to use as a sunny daily driver/track car.
Good luck on the sale.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 05:41 AM

Very fair price for a well maintained, well optioned car.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 05:41 AM
I Have Commitment Issues

I just picked one up with 24k miles it has sport package and hard top for 25k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in