2005 vs. 2006 shifter - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

2005 vs. 2006 shifter

So I've now had a chance to drive a used 2005 Elise (sweeet), and I've sat in the cockpit of a couple new 2006s. The 2005 had a pretty loose shifter, a bit rattly, whereas the '06s had very succinct shift points. I know some of this can be attributed to shifter break-in, but I also know the shifter was changed to some degree on the '06s. Do '06 Elise shifters also get as loose over time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 08:02 AM

There was a recall on the shifter. Feel the shaft, if it is not round and hexagonal it has not had the recall done. After the recall the shift action in mine was more precise and felt better.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsounds
but I also know the shifter was changed to some degree on the '06s.
The shifter was actually changed about the middle of the 2005 production model year.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 09:15 AM
JnC

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsounds
The [used] 2005 had a pretty loose shifter, a bit rattly, whereas the '06s had very succinct shift points.
To some degree it comes back to driving a used car vs. new. I'm sure there's 06's that have loosened up. It depends who's been shifting. I've seen some brutality out there. Shoving a cable linkage with all one's might doesn't work well in the long run.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 09:37 AM

It can also be due to the how the entire shifter mechanism is bolted down. They are not terribly well fastened to the car. Stan developed a relatively simple mod to help stabilize the whole mechanism and others have made variations on that mod. It is posted here somewhere. Search on "Stan shifter mod". Probably the oldest hits are where you will find it, pictures and all.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 10:31 AM

it'll break in w/ time, drove my cousin's exige last week w/ 700 miles vs my car w/ 5000 miles.... everything was tighter on his car, the steerning/shifter even the brakes had a real quicker bite to it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 12:08 PM

As other's have alluded to, the shifter is the same between the '05s and the '06s. The early '05s had a smaller hexagon shaped shift lever that occasionally tended to break. This was replaced under a recall, and all '05s should have the upgraded shift lever installed by now. Other than that, the rest of the shift mechanism/linkages are the same.

The only variations in shift feel is due to individual adjustments and wear and tear...

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. The '05 I drove was a 2004 production date, but I assume it's already had the shifter recall done. The shifter is just a lot more loose than I'm used to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in