The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

2007 Bumpers.. new news?

14K views 92 replies 49 participants last post by  Defiant00 
#1 ·
Not sure about the validity of any of this.

Crossposted from TOP (wasn't it rubber bumpers that killed off MGs):

MY07 U.S models of both Elise & Exige will have rubber bumper front ends which are mandatory requirement from 01 Jan 2007 because that is the date the 3 year Federal exemption expires.

The exemption ending also applies to the headlights.

The existing front clam will be replaced by one that is identical in looks to the Europa but the front fibreglass section is replaced with a colour coded rubber bumper.

The rubber bumpers also add 45Kg at the front of the car, so new geo settings are required, together with an uprated pair of front dampers and springs.

Lotus tried to get around the problem by spraying foam inside the clam but the Federal Authorities insisted that the entire nose section be replaced by rubber, so Lotus had no option other than to use the Europa clam but replacing the nose section with a rubber moulding. The Europa clam also complies with the U.S. headlamp requirements.

Rear bumperettes are also required to meet Federal regulations but they are just stuck on with sikaflex, so can be removed with a hairdryer and a bit of patience, although it may be necessary to respray the rear clam as the paint may come off with the sikaflex.

All European models will also have the same modifications from 01 Mar 2007.

#4 ·
A Europa (+45kg) front clam on the Elise. That will help quite a bit when the front end slides under a Hummer. Boy am I glad the US government is looking out for my best interest... @$$#oles. :wallbang:

****ing bureaucrats. Nothing worse than a know-nothing behind a desk telling you what is best for you.

#6 ·
Which means the front will look something like this with Elise style lights:

Sigh. If I had the cash, I'd grab one of those Exige S sitting on a dealer's showroom. :(

#7 ·
Anybody want to try to photochop that together? That just sounds hideous, since I don't remember the lines on the Europa being too similar to those on the Elise.

#8 ·
What a minute - 45kg equals 99.208 pound! That's freaking ridiculous. If this is true, I'm pretty sure it's the end of the Elise until a redesign comes out.

#9 ·
For all those freaked by falling prices, rejoice! You now own a collectible, and that can't hurt the resale value. Then again, why sell?

#11 ·
I'm not sure that I trust the validity of the statements.

The government doesn't require any specific type or material for the bumpers - only that they meet a certain set of requirements. This one sounds a bit fishy to me. I'll wait a bit before I rejoice in the fact that my '05 is now more collectible... :huh:

#16 ·
I believe there is a bumper height requirement, which would be another reason the Europa clam would be closer to complying. The Elise/Exige front end is very low. :sad: Europe is also instituting requirements for pedestrian friendly front ends for cars. One reason the Mini was redesigned.

#17 ·
I'd also doubt that Lotus would add 100lbs to the front end to meet US requirements and then sell the same version in Europe. If the changes are minor it makes sense financially to maintain a single model architechture worldwide, but something like this wouldn't.

#18 ·
Someone please 'splain why the Europa which (supposedly) is not for the US market has a front clam that meets US standards. Looking on the bright side, if true, the extra 100 lbs on the front will maybe keep it from falling off the lift when the tire shop lifts it from the wrong point. :rolleyes:

#19 ·
CarNut said:
Looking on the bright side, if true, the extra 100 lbs on the front will maybe keep it from falling off the lift when the tire shop lifts it from the wrong point. :rolleyes:
Optimism at its finest. :D

#21 ·
I'm pretty sure that would be a 1974 914. I had a 73, and while the 73 had the front bumperettes, it did not have the rear. The rear ones were added in 1974.

Back to topic... I sure hope the new bumpers look cool and pass regulations so future owners get something neat, also I hope they aren't too cool, so that my 06 is more unique.
Can't wait to see what happens...
Cheers,
Skottoman

#23 ·
Scott said:
Hah! The good news is the value of our 05's and 06's just went up.
The bad news is, it will be a downward spiral.....it always is with auto manufacturers. (ex. Saab Sonnets) No bumpers, little bumperettes, full bumpers,integrated bumpers........then nobody wants them cause there too big and heavy....then they stop building them.TADTS

#24 ·
I wouldn't count on any value gains. Slowing the depreciation maybe. If true your best bet on getting any collectors value of them is not driving it at all and letting the bad drivers total the others on the road... which does seem to be happening pretty rapidly though...

I kinda hope this is true because i can't honestly imagine many people are going to care that much if the car gains 100lbs, (consider the average buyer, for better or worse) and if it looks the same but has a much more durable struction it'll be bad for the 05-06's i think... at least for the daily driver buyers (like myself). I like the CF front clam that's way stronger but no lighter... i think it was for the S1.

I'd take 100lbs in the nose for a bulletproof clam, but that's not likely either. And yeah, it's so low anyway even if it was frontally impact worthy, would help damaged headlights or hood from taller vehicles.

Needless to say, i'm a little wierd-o... if i was going to keep the car for ever i'd consider some gory body work to put 2 vertically/artfully bent pieces of aluminum through the front and rear clam to make it parallel park proof. Kinda like a police car with it's vertical loops but more artfully done. I'd be ugly no matter how you do it, but cars are meant to be tweaked to meet the owner. They'd also make nice replaceable chin guards.

In the end it's probably BS that was "leaked" to sell the few remaining 06's to speculators. It could work.

#26 ·
I think the car will sell just fine no matter what. let's face it. Most cars are ugly as sin and people LOVE them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.