2008 Club Racer - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

2008 Club Racer

Hola,

I have located a 2008 Club Racer with some minor issues. I was wondering what is a fair price.

Details:

12K Miles
Chipped Windshield = smaller than 1"
Radiator Leak
Chk Engine Light is On (Green)
1 small scratch on the Right Qtr panel

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 12:33 PM

You don't state a price, but;

1 Get an ECU dump done.

2 Windshield replacement is over $1000.

3 Radiator leaking will require removal of front clam, several hours of labor, unless you do it yourself, have wonder what made it leak in the first place though.

4 Check engine light, see #1

2005 Saffron Yellow Elise (Sold)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonized View Post
You don't state a price, but;

1 Get an ECU dump done.

2 Windshield replacement is over $1000.

3 Radiator leaking will require removal of front clam, several hours of labor, unless you do it yourself, have wonder what made it leak in the first place though.

4 Check engine light, see #1
He is asking 44,500 -

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitex View Post
He is asking 44,500 -
Okay, get an ECU dump done on it, to check for over-revs, standing starts, etc...

2005 Saffron Yellow Elise (Sold)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 01:53 PM

so some things would be warranty repairs - like a leaking radiator, unless there was something outstanding (like improper damage "repairs") clearly, windshield is not warranty....

take it by a dealer, get the ECU dumped, and the vin run... that does sounds like a compeling price, assuming nothing bad...

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 02:34 PM

Just my personal opinon, as a current CR owner. - Those issues on this car indicate - to me a lack of concern/on-going prudent care & maintenance has been practiced or performed on this car.

My Club Racer has 11,500 (so it is no "garage queen" either) on it, yet I would challenge anyone to be able to point out ANY defect of any kind on "my baby", that has gone uncorrected, and personally, I would be embarrassed to offer up, especially this category of vehicle, to anyone, in such condition!

Again - that is just me. Maybe I'm all wet, and the car has been otherwise cared for and maintained fully properly. The windshield chip and small scratch I suppose could happen to anybody. But the fact that the radiator is leaking, uncorrected, and an UNEXPLAINED MIL is on, indicate again - just to me, either non-concern, or neglect.

I would proceed cautiously.

$44,500 is a lot of depreciation, in just one year!
Hope that is not typical / indicative of what I should comparatively expect!!

'08 Exige-S Club Racer
Desnorkelled, Stage-2, HID's, DRL Defeat, Sector111 Tow-hook & Fire Extinguisher, Deeply Fettled Roof S/C Air Intake, Schroth Prof II ASM 4pt Harnesses, RLS Lightweight gunmetal coated intercooler tubes, Saikou-Michi catch-cans, dual-SPAL hi-perf intercooler puller-fans, custom painted engine cover
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 03:11 PM

Garage
How frequent are radiator leaks on the Elise/Exige? I'm not sure if that's a common problem. My wild guess is the radiator leak and chipped window happened around the same time.

2005 Lotus Elise- SOLD 6/9/07
2011 Lotus Evora - SOLD 4/18/13
2011 Lotus Evora S - SOLD - 10/7/14
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS - SOLD 2/13/16
2016 Something else in red
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
How frequent are radiator leaks on the Elise/Exige? I'm not sure if that's a common problem. My wild guess is the radiator leak and chipped window happened around the same time.
The chip in the windows looks like a pebble may have hit it
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 03:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitex View Post
The chip in the windows looks like a pebble may have hit it
I was thinking a peddle may have did in the radiator too. Perhaps on a gravel road or road construction area?

2005 Lotus Elise- SOLD 6/9/07
2011 Lotus Evora - SOLD 4/18/13
2011 Lotus Evora S - SOLD - 10/7/14
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS - SOLD 2/13/16
2016 Something else in red
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 07:21 PM

Some insurance companies will fix windshield chips at no deductible to you. Because it's way cheaper than you asking to get it replaced.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinym View Post
Some insurance companies will fix windshield chips at no deductible to you. Because it's way cheaper than you asking to get it replaced.
It is the state law in FL if you car Comp. That was nice about Fl when I lived there, there is nothing like that in GA
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 06:05 AM

So, is this car at a dealership or other commercial-lot car reseller? Or is this a private sale? It sounds like you are unable for some reason to "interview" the owner, and just find some of these things out for some reason, directly? What is this car's history? Single owner? I guess I just don't understand why these things are to you (or would be accepted as) otherwise, a "mystery".

How was this car used? Is it modded heavilly? Used as a track beast? Way too many unanswered questions!! ...And that we, behind our keyboards on the internet - hello - just plain can NOT (possibly) answer for you!

If you can't get FACTUAL - rather than via uninvolved, disconnected 3rd-party "blind" internet users merely GUESSES as to what might be "up" with this car... well then.....

You are a lot closer to this than us! Why can't you just find out more directly, more precisely what this car's history and maintenance records (does it have maintenace records? - What dealership did it originally sell from, do you know?) are? Something is not right / smells a little fishy here.

That price is pretty deep discounted for sure! I would presume that would also be "for a reason". You need to find out what that reason is!

'08 Exige-S Club Racer
Desnorkelled, Stage-2, HID's, DRL Defeat, Sector111 Tow-hook & Fire Extinguisher, Deeply Fettled Roof S/C Air Intake, Schroth Prof II ASM 4pt Harnesses, RLS Lightweight gunmetal coated intercooler tubes, Saikou-Michi catch-cans, dual-SPAL hi-perf intercooler puller-fans, custom painted engine cover
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 01:19 PM
def

Leaking radiator isnt covered under warranty? Even if there is no visable damage (ie rock)

V10 R8 · Noble M400 · GG Elise (sold after 1192 days and 22961 miles)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:13 AM

If it's in Fla this car was offered on OVE (a manhiem online auction for dealers) a few weeks ago. I called about the car for a project for myself planing to sell my 240. On the first listing it was listed as engine inop??? I called the auction and was told that the car did run but there was a offer (if bid) on it and the rep would let me know if the sale fell through. I never did hear back so I assume you are dealing with the new buyer or the orig owner if the car didn't sell.
I still would be interested but not at those #'s

Greg
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 06:25 AM

I'd say go for it anyway. That's a pretty good price on a rare and beautiful car. Radiators are not that bad cost wise. Engine is a Toyota. Buy the car and give it the love it truly deserves and you'll be fine.

Isotope Green Elise SC "Izzy"
Krypton Green Elise ( R.I.P.)
Magnetic Blue Elise, dedicated track car
(sold to a friend)
Maserati Cambiocorsa Coupe
Porsche Cayenne S
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door!)
BMW 5-Series
Excelsior-Henderson Super X
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 06:51 AM

Without knowing the history of the car, that's an awful price. You can pay a little more (5-10k perhaps) and get a 240 with clean history.

Be an alpha male. Drive a Lotus.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 08:24 AM

Do it, go for it. Seems it needs saving from its owner and given some TLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in